E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Satellite radio (Sirius)

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 10:08 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 Jet Black/Black 530i Sport Package Premium Package Comfort Package Steptronic Transmission Factory Bi-Xenons Bluetooth Current Mods: Black Kidney Grills Black/White Roundels Glossy Black Bimmian badge Smoke Tinted tails 20% Tint (5 percent on rear window)

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='944070' date='Jul 16 2009, 11:06 AM
If you call Sirius they may tell you about the active subscription BUT if it's still active under another subscriber they may cancel or notify the previous owner who can cancel ... BTW, if you wait until the current subscription expires, or the original owner cancels it, you can negotiate deals and prices with Sirius and the activation is instant.

So, I'd leave it alone until it expires - then call Sirius and they will walk you thru the reactivation process by phone. All you need is a credit card.

Sounds like a plan Luigi524td! Thanks.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:21 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Othello09' post='944071' date='Jul 16 2009, 02:08 PM
Sounds like a plan Luigi524td! Thanks.
When ready to make your call here's the ## "For questions about service, hardware or to activate a radio please call customer care at
1-888-539-SIRIUS (7474)"
Old 07-16-2009, 03:47 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by Othello09' post='943692' date='Jul 16 2009, 02:24 AM
Hey guys, when I bought my e60 (non-CPO) Sirius satellite radio was already activated and working. Is there any way I can find out about the current subscription for Sirius on my car? I have no idea when it was the contract started or when it will end. Will I receive a notice via iDrive about a subscription coming due? Will I have to visit the dreaded dealer for continuing my service or can I go directly to Sirius?

Just try to prevent driving w/ a hottie in the passenger side, singing her fav song then ZAP...sh*t stops working?
No, it won't just stop working mid-song. When you turn the radio on, the satellite broadcasts all the serial numbers that are activated and if your radio "hears" it, it will come on and if your radio does not receive a serial number from the satellite, the Idrive will prompt you to call Sirius and will display its serial number. At least that's what happened to me. I was able to get one free year from them since I had bought the car a few months earlier. Mine should expire around October and I will renew only if they make me a deal I can't refuse, I.E. no more than $70/yr. You might want to let them know that you just bought the car and ask them if you are eligible for the free year. Doesn't cost anything to ask.
Old 07-16-2009, 04:12 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 - 530i Sport, Auto, Alpine White, Dark Poplar, Beige Dakota w/ Comfort Seats, Cold Weather Package (yeah I know I live in SC, but I love it on my back after a long day of golf), Logic 7, Parking Assist, & Auto Sunshade.

Originally Posted by porsche911targa' post='944332' date='Jul 16 2009, 07:47 PM
No, it won't just stop working mid-song. When you turn the radio on, the satellite broadcasts all the serial numbers that are activated and if your radio "hears" it, it will come on and if your radio does not receive a serial number from the satellite, the Idrive will prompt you to call Sirius and will display its serial number. At least that's what happened to me. I was able to get one free year from them since I had bought the car a few months earlier. Mine should expire around October and I will renew only if they make me a deal I can't refuse, I.E. no more than $70/yr. You might want to let them know that you just bought the car and ask them if you are eligible for the free year. Doesn't cost anything to ask.
Porsche is right if the SAT service ever does time out, when you activate that setting it will come up with a message saying call Sirus with the number you need to call, and it has the ID number right there on that same message screen. One night I was bored so I called the number and with a credit card had the service working in 3 minutes. Since I was setting it up for the first time for me on a car that wasnt new, but was new for me they had a deal where you buy one month and get two months free so you get three months for the price of one to start with. I asked for a free introductory period, etc, but was shot down on all attempts.

Good luck, but it is very easy. But I too would wait until it shuts off on its own.
Old 07-16-2009, 05:28 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 Jet Black/Black 530i Sport Package Premium Package Comfort Package Steptronic Transmission Factory Bi-Xenons Bluetooth Current Mods: Black Kidney Grills Black/White Roundels Glossy Black Bimmian badge Smoke Tinted tails 20% Tint (5 percent on rear window)

Thanks porsche911targa & turboe! Thanks some good info. Finally something that works as I imagined it would (in a perfect world).
Old 07-19-2009, 09:55 AM
Members

BTW,

Once you have an account with Sirius, it's easy to do account maintenance online. That's what I do.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i Sports, Premium and dynamic packages

I believe they are going thru some internal consolidation, keep in mind that they merged with XM. Keep using it until the signal fails then contact them..
Old 07-19-2009, 10:56 AM
Members

A little tip, if you call Sirius and tell them you would like to cancel (as long as you pay month to month) because you get sh*t for service they will most likely wave your current months charge and give you a few more months for free just to keep you on and once your few free months are up call again!
Old 05-09-2010, 05:08 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 bmw 530xi

Originally Posted by Othello09
Aaaaah, yes...the old corporate case of tracking revenue. Rictor I definitely hear where you are coming from. Don't worry, I'm not gonna go snooping too far before required. Besides, the only reason I use Sirius now is because its free...if it were a choice between the iPod integration ($400 one time) or Sirius ($?? annually); I would pick iPod 100%. Thanks dude.
ipod and sirius good for me kid,sirius 77 dollars for me to renew,not bad at all.and for a whole year! come on bro you cant beat that.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:38 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 bmw 530xi

Originally Posted by vcab01
A little tip, if you call Sirius and tell them you would like to cancel (as long as you pay month to month) because you get sh*t for service they will most likely wave your current months charge and give you a few more months for free just to keep you on and once your few free months are up call again!
sounds like a plan.