E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

satellite radio for canada (help!)

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 03:41 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just picked up my 06 and I am really happy with it however I miss satellite radio (installed on my other car).

In Canada satellite radio is still not officially "here" yet (it's coming) and there is no satellite option at the dealer.

I was wondering what I need to buy to "retrofit" the car with satellite. The dealer is clueless and the system is not the plug and play type of stuff I am used to since it's all computerized now.

Can anyone tell me what I need to get? IE: If I find out what's in the 500$ "satellite option" in the US can I just order that and install it? Any other Canucks in here have experience with this?

Thanks
Old 09-12-2005, 05:32 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011 F10 535i, Graphite on Oyster, ///Msport, Executive Package, XDrive

Fiirst of all, you have to ensure your car was prewired for Satellite. If it was not, you are out of luck as I do not think that you can retrofit the harnesses. Check on your option list and determine if the car was prewired or not. You may need to have your dealer print your build sheet which shows all of the components incuded in your car to confirm what you do or do not have.

If the car is prewired, you would need to go to a US dealer to have the unit installed (basically plug and play with a bit of programming). You will need a US PO Box for billing as we officically cannot have it in Canada. The other option is to wait until sat radio is available in Canada and then have your dealer install the hardware.