E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Sat Radio Retrofit Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 01:10 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05 545i & 01 316i
Default Sat Radio Retrofit Issue

Hey All:

So I just retrofitted the Satellite Radio Receiver into the car. I integrated the unit with the MOST fibre optic system -- I plugged it in (the only way you can plug it in) and had it coded at an Indy. They coded both the Aux and the Sat Radio --

Aux works great, SAT is greyed out and has no access to stations. Fuse checks out okay -- and I know I didn't screw up the MOST setup -- as its pretty idiot proof, so I am stuck either figuring it is a defective SAT radio receiver, as it was second hand.

Does anyone have any ideas for me?
Old 08-01-2013, 01:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Gatriel, did you move the appropriate MOST bus wires at the junction blocks to enable the unit (assuming it is in the trunk)? If your car was prewired, this is a necessary (and not exactly fool proof) step. They reside right above the TCU. There may be 2 junction boxes - one with a few in/out cables, the other with a single fiber in/out line. That one needs to be moved and added to the ring.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:16 PM
New Members

Thanks for your reply! Yes I did.

The upper MOST box had but 1 set of wires in it as my car was prewired for SAT, which I moved over to the lower MOST box which is the active MOST box. I put the wires in the exact same direction as they were before, what I did not do was place the SAT Tuner in place 1 and place 2 as specified in the BMW install manual.

They said this was done to inhibit MOST errors -- and not necessarily to get the tuner to work.

I can swap these around and make the Tuner take position 1, but I hope it isn't necessary.

Does anyone have any opinion on whether or not the placement of the optical wires in the MOST box (in reference to what place on the chain) would cause the tuner to function or not?
Old 08-01-2013, 03:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

I would follow the install manual to the letter on that. Because it is an in-->out chain, it's position within that chain may be critical. When SAT is coded, but the unit is not installed, the SAT option in iDrive will appear greyed out as you describe. Of course, the unit could very well be faulty and cause a similar problem.

For members who may try this retrofit and don't have the instructions, you can find them in the attachment below:

BMW E60 5 Series Sirius Installation Instructions.pdf
Old 08-02-2013, 02:34 AM
New Members

So I can *CONFIRM* that the Sat Radio tuner must be #1 in the chain. If it isn't #1 then it simply will not work.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with what this means, when you are looking at the MOST block from the truck all the fibre-optical wires on the right side (pass. side for LHD cars) MUST be pulled out and moved down one. The fibre-optical wires on the left side (drivers side for LHD cars) MUST be pulled out and moved down one, EXCEPT for the very top wire which must remain in place.

This solves all issues.

Oh, my unit has a lifetime subscription already on it! :-D FREE SAT RADIO! Woohooo.