E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Sat Nav discs

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 06:41 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535d Sport, carbon black, media pack, visibility pack, grey leather, heated seats, sun protection glass, voice control, Eibach ProKit, 19" 166 style wheels, e-maps ECU remap to 325hp and 640NM, top speed limiter removed

you can't check it yourself.
Old 07-13-2006, 02:18 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530D SE; Mystic Blue; Beige Leather; Luxury Pack; Media Pack; Visibility Pack; 123's; Logic 7; + to many more to type........... 2008 730D; Black Sapphire; Cream Beige Leather; plenty of options!

Originally Posted by olli_535d' post='310205' date='Jul 13 2006, 12:18 PM
They always only do 2 a year, so there won't be a 2006-3.
BMW has, in the meantime, realised and acknowledged the Postcode problem on the 2006-2, but at the same time stated that it won't be rectified before 2007-1.

General consensus is, that if you register your problem with your dealer, you will probably have the 2007-1 as free replacement. Wouldn't hold my breath for them to come to you automatically, though, so rather keep nagging them as soon the 2007-1 is released.

My understanding is Under the Sale of Goods Act (UK) the dealer carries a liability to provide goods of mechantile quality as fit for purpose - the dealer can/should pass pressure back onto BMW (UK) to fulfil this point (ergo extract their (BMW's) collective digits from the rear ends and do something positive to resolve the problem in a timely manner)- the failure should not be left soley to the purcasher to resolve - the goods are clearly faulty as to their intended use hence a case can be made to litigate if one was so inclined, at least in the UK small claims court, a threat sometimes can work here - I suggest everyone with a -02 dvd visits their dealer and 'politely' pushes the point of their dealers responsibility to provide a 'saleable' product - as a suggestion at the very least they (the dealer) should provide an -01 dvd for use until the upgraded -02 is available or a FOC upgrade to -03 whenever this is - I've not been informed of the wait until 2007 as suggested timeline for a a fix, however it would not surprise, as disappointing news that it is to be this long a wait - the problem would appear to be in Navteq's court, that said BMW are laible to provide a 'timely' solution ............

I agree with comments expressed in this thread questioning the value of the five chr post code 'feature' - only using 5 chr's is of course completely useless in the UK as you require the full 7 chrs to determine destinations 'accurately - bearing in mind the cost of BMW Nav systems this is most disappointing - A guess here, this is probably a legacy of the US based nature of the product as US Zip codes are only 5 digits are they not ..................
Old 07-13-2006, 02:59 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2013 535i (White with Oyster Interior. Premium Package, Navigation, Technology Pacakge, Park Distance Control, and Rear View Camera)

I have no problem creating a backup NAV DVD for myself. Just use Nero.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:31 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d Sport, carbon black, media pack, visibility pack, grey leather, heated seats, sun protection glass, voice control, Eibach ProKit, 19" 166 style wheels, e-maps ECU remap to 325hp and 640NM, top speed limiter removed

My understanding is Under the Sale of Goods Act (UK) the dealer carries a liability to provide goods of mechantile quality as fit for purpose - the dealer can/should pass pressure back onto BMW (UK) to fulfil this point (ergo extract their (BMW's) collective digits from the rear ends and do something positive to resolve the problem in a timely manner)- the failure should not be left soley to the purcasher to resolve - the goods are clearly faulty as to their intended use hence a case can be made to litigate if one was so inclined, at least in the UK small claims court, a threat sometimes can work here - I suggest everyone with a -02 dvd visits their dealer and 'politely' pushes the point of their dealers responsibility to provide a 'saleable' product - as a suggestion at the very least they (the dealer) should provide an -01 dvd for use until the upgraded -02 is available or a FOC upgrade to -03 whenever this is - I've not been informed of the wait until 2007 as suggested timeline for a a fix, however it would not surprise, as disappointing news that it is to be this long a wait - the problem would appear to be in Navteq's court, that said BMW are laible to provide a 'timely' solution ............

I agree with comments expressed in this thread questioning the value of the five chr post code 'feature' - only using 5 chr's is of course completely useless in the UK as you require the full 7 chrs to determine destinations 'accurately - bearing in mind the cost of BMW Nav systems this is most disappointing - A guess here, this is probably a legacy of the US based nature of the product as US Zip codes are only 5 digits are they not ..................
Would totally agree and it looks fine in theory, but I am sure you would not stand a big chance. The question will be, if the pc search is a guaranteed attribute or characteristic. Their argument will be that those DVD are still fully fit for what they are supposed to do, namely take you to the place you want to go, by entering the postal address. I am sure this will be their way out.

Also have to agree that speed, quality and attributes for such an expensive option, leave much wanted.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:48 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Hawkwing' post='310427
the goods are clearly faulty as to their intended use
It's a satellite natigation system. It allows a user to navigate by satellite.

Originally Posted by Hawkwing' post='310427
the value of the five chr post code 'feature' - only using 5 chr's is of course completely useless in the UK
There are 124 areas eg LS, dividing into 2700 districts eg BS12, dividing into some 9000 sectors.

ABC
Old 07-14-2006, 01:29 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530D SE; Mystic Blue; Beige Leather; Luxury Pack; Media Pack; Visibility Pack; 123's; Logic 7; + to many more to type........... 2008 730D; Black Sapphire; Cream Beige Leather; plenty of options!

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='310623' date='Jul 14 2006, 08:48 AM
The dealer cannot be held responsible for a manufacturer's change of specification. Manufacturers reserve the right to alter specifications of products without notice.

It's a satellite natigation system. It allows a user to navigate by satellite.

Navteq supplies the data. Is there any evidence that Navteq has withheld it or is it the case that the the supporting software does not allow access (possibly by design)?

There are 124 areas eg LS, dividing into 2700 districts eg BS12, dividing into some 9000 sectors.

ABC
Good points - as to the dealer and their responsibility - my point is a tad boring I guess and somewhat pure, in law there is a contract that exists between the purchaser and the seller, not the manufacturer, if the mfr makes changes they are likely obliged to inform their customer (BMW) and the customer informs their agents, in this case the dealer, it would then become an issue of what contractual conditions are in place between those parties which is not the issue here; the purchaser purchases the product with knowledge of the published specifications - as to the finer points of whether the dvd is faulty the argument is down to the published specification and what would normally be reasonble to expect in terms of the functionality as described, one can get tied up here with detail - my view supported by contract terms is that in the first instance the dealer (seller) has a responsibility to take all reasonble actions, if they have supplied a dvd that does not deliver the expected features under reasonable conditions then it is in my view a failure and the dealer in the first instance must take responsibiility and push the problem/issue back to their supplier(s).

In this case the -02 dvd does not support post code entry for destinations, a fault which has been recognised by BMW as a fault, the issue is one of their plan and timing to put right the failure I have a problem with. I have a dealer who takesa practical view and I use a -01 dvd now. It is a minor failure in terms of the vehicle's features for sure - however even at a lessor value one would be rightly displeased with the situation though.

Download now over...............