E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sat Nav buffer

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 09:57 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White F11 520D SE 2013
I tried an experiment tonight on the way home from work. I wonder if any other E60ers have noticed this...

I have an 04 530i with Sat Nav Business. I set my destination and let Sat Nav work out the route, then I ejected the Sat Nav DVD and guess what...it continued to work...all the way home...25 miles and many roads and junctions. TMC also continued to function to alert me to traffic hold ups. Brilliant.

Now I'm guessing that there is a buffer or RAM that the Sat Nav loads the route into, so that's where the navigation info was coming from after I'd ejected the DVD but my questions are...

1. Will it load all the route independent of size of the route, e.g. 50, 100, 300 miles so you can eject the DVD as soon as you've plotted the route?

2. Does traffic info need the DVD to be inserted. Doesn't it just download the info from the carrier channel and look at your present co-ordinates to show nearby holdups?

3. Would it alert you to hold ups if a route was not plotted?

This is a great feature as it means I can now have sat nav guidance (not tried to see whether dynamic planning still works without the DVD inserted - I am guessing not though) and MP3 music while I drive (yes I only have the 1 drive on my dash).

Anyone else experience this?

thanks,

cojo
Old 11-20-2007, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I remember someone mentioning this "feature" a while back. It's clearly something that only works with Business Nav. If you eject the disc with Professional Nav, it's just keeps telling you to insert the disc...
Old 11-20-2007, 10:39 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

The Business Nav has only one slot in the dash. If it didnt work as above then on a trip you would have to decide if you wanted to listen to a CD or reach your destination.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:52 AM
Members

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='496929' date='Nov 20 2007, 07:39 PM
The Business Nav has only one slot in the dash. If it didnt work as above then on a trip you would have to decide if you wanted to listen to a CD or reach your destination.
Exactly. It's great, but how much of the route does it store in the buffer, all of it?
Old 11-20-2007, 11:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak

Yes the entire route is stored, unless you really really go far away from the directions you wont need the DVD till you need a new destination.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:21 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530xiT Titanium Silver, 6-speed Manual, new style Start/Stop ignition, Black Dakota Leather, anthracite maple wood trim, heated seats front and rear, heated steering wheel, headlight washers, automatic tailgate, auto dimming mirrors, Logic 7, 6-disc changer, sport seats, shadow line trim, rear sun blinds, PDC, adaptive xenons, 18" style 123 wheels, , navigation, voice control, bluetooth, BMW roof rack + bike attachments,

Once the directions are set, the disc is no longer needed. The only downside is that automatic re-routing is no longer available when the disc is out.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:35 PM
Members

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='496929' date='Nov 20 2007, 01:39 PM
Don't laugh. I've got an '05 Chevy Tahoe that works exactly like you described. It's the dumbest thing in the world. It is my wife's vehicle, and every time I drive it and turn on the nav I get an error to insert the disc. I have to pop out the Barney's Greatest Hits disc and then fish around the console for the now-very-scratched-up nav DVD.

Wanna know the even dumber part? The particular model I bought had a 6-disc changer in it as standard equipment -- but when the nav option reverts to a single-disc player for an extra 2 grand. The only way to use the nav while listening to a CD is if I put the music CD in the rear seat entertainment DVD player. I wonder how many millions of dollars GM spent coming up with a system so completely convoluted and user-hostile.

Anyway, sorry to jack the thread. I just needed to vent. Thanks for listening. Please continue with your discussion already in progress.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:12 PM
Members

Originally Posted by silver530sportwagon' post='497003' date='Nov 20 2007, 11:21 PM
Once the directions are set, the disc is no longer needed. The only downside is that automatic re-routing is no longer available when the disc is out.
I beg to differ. I ejected the sat nav DVD again this morning on my way to work and further along my route was forced to take a detour from the main road due to traffic build up, I turned off and went round the houses, literally, and the sat nav knew where I was and recalculated my route to get me to my destination. I still think it's a brilliant function and am excited that I found it (as you can probably tell). Just need to perfect the MP3 DVD burning thing to avoid skips and unreadable tracks and I'll have a fully functional car as I'd like it!
Old 11-21-2007, 12:01 AM
Senior Members

I second that. If it needs the DVD again, it will ask for it. I did it countless time across Europe with my old 530i.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:54 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Cojones' post='497147' date='Nov 21 2007, 08:12 AM
I beg to differ. I ejected the sat nav DVD again this morning on my way to work and further along my route was forced to take a detour from the main road due to traffic build up, I turned off and went round the houses, literally, and the sat nav knew where I was and recalculated my route to get me to my destination. I still think it's a brilliant function and am excited that I found it (as you can probably tell). Just need to perfect the MP3 DVD burning thing to avoid skips and unreadable tracks and I'll have a fully functional car as I'd like it!
I did say it would do that, but within limits. If you were travelling from england to scotland but took a detour via france I don't think it would cope.

For acme with the Chevy I think someone has once put a route in and never went there. Probably worth putting the nav disc in, cancelling the route and therefore stopping it from asking for the disc.

Quick Reply: Sat Nav buffer