E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Sat Nav

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 12:11 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi

I'm new to the forum and to the 550i which I've had 10 days - and love. Cannot for the life of me understand all the complaioning aboutiDrive - I think it's just terrific and after this short time feel it's a natural way to control these functions - I much prefer it to my Merc SL500's myriad of switches.

However, I notice my new 550i doesn't have the new M7 motorway in Sydney in it's maps.

How is this best fixed? New dvd I assume.

I also assume BMW have an expensive dvd released every so often that updates data but can the system read other dvd's?

Any advice
Old 01-28-2006, 12:29 PM
Members

Originally Posted by aussiebeemer' post='231081' date='Jan 29 2006, 08:11 AM
Hi

I'm new to the forum and to the 550i which I've had 10 days - and love. Cannot for the life of me understand all the complaioning aboutiDrive - I think it's just terrific and after this short time feel it's a natural way to control these functions - I much prefer it to my Merc SL500's myriad of switches.

However, I notice my new 550i doesn't have the new M7 motorway in Sydney in it's maps.

How is this best fixed? New dvd I assume.

I also assume BMW have an expensive dvd released every so often that updates data but can the system read other dvd's?

Any advice
Hi There

Welcome.

Yeah, I too wondered about same but was afraid to ask as there seems to be very few other DU forum members with main contributions being US/EU.

Anyways, travelling from Nth Ryde to Liverpool 2 weeks ago was hilarious with the sat nav telling me to use every exit as it had me going through fields and stuff :-)

I looked at Whereis.com.au and the dvds run to about $350 - holy sh1t . Not spoken to BMW about this yet. Funny the CCT is on there though (although a little inaccurate I found out yesterday; with it missing directions for the exit for the airport road (sth cross drive??)).

Keep me posted if you find anything useful on this??

BTW, I too love the iDrive; although it could've been aptly named iDistract. Beware the software upgrade if not done already, (my car is only 4 weeks old and it needed it so i'm assuming yours may too); it took a day and a half to do it, but love the MP3 capability;-)

Cheers

Thommo
Old 01-30-2006, 04:28 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i Sport Sedan. Titanuim Silver, Sunroof, Black Dakota Interior, Anthracite Maple Trim, Prof Sat Nav, Bluetooth

AussieBeemer, Yeah you are spot on.. BMW Australia licenses new versions of the GPS DVD content every so often. The last update I think they issued was around Sept/Oct last year.
(I took Delivery of my car at the Start of Feb '05 and have Version 10 of the DVD.)

I would go back and ask your dealer whether you have the most current DVD, from looking at the Whereis website, (who are the authors of the content) it looks like they are up to Version 12.

Good Luck.