E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Santa Claus came early...

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 08:09 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...'cause there's a 5 in my garage this morning!

Going home at lunch to take some pix, but also have a couple of questions for the board.

First, the tires on the car are the Bridgestone RF's and the front, although still having excellent tread depth, are cupped on both fronts on the inner aspect of the tire. They are NOISY and I'm replacing all 4 tires this weekend.

question 1 - why would the tires cup like that?

question 2 - i was thinking of going with the General UHP's. I've searched the threads and read all about the different brands, and for the money it seems as though the people running these are pleased with them.

question 3 - the rear tires are the Bridgestone RF's and were put on at the auction house. They have about 500 miles on them and i was going to sell them and put that $ toward the 4 new shoes in another brand. if I post a classified ad on here for these do you think anyone would be interested? i don't know how often people consider the idea of purchasing used tires.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:17 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by bimmerlust' post='681748' date='Sep 30 2008, 09:09 AM
Shocks are bad.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:18 AM
Contributors

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by alexf9496' post='681759' date='Sep 30 2008, 12:17 PM
Shocks are bad.
+1 and check alignment
Old 09-30-2008, 08:25 AM
Members

+1 on the shocks. Were the tires brand new when they were installed on your 5 or did they have 500 miles of use on some other car?

...Regarding the used tires...perhaps you should give Craigslist a try..might be easier to unload them locally as shipping can be a killer.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:25 AM
Members

Originally Posted by bimmerlust' post='681748' date='Sep 30 2008, 04:09 PM
...'cause there's a 5 in my garage this morning!

Going home at lunch to take some pix, but also have a couple of questions for the board.

First, the tires on the car are the Bridgestone RF's and the front, although still having excellent tread depth, are cupped on both fronts on the inner aspect of the tire. They are NOISY and I'm replacing all 4 tires this weekend.

question 2 - i was thinking of going with the General UHP's. I've searched the threads and read all about the different brands, and for the money it seems as though the people running these are pleased with them.

question 3 - the rear tires are the Bridgestone RF's and were put on at the auction house. They have about 500 miles on them and i was going to sell them and put that $ toward the 4 new shoes in another brand. if I post a classified ad on here for these do you think anyone would be interested? i don't know how often people consider the idea of purchasing used tires.
Go with Pirelli, Michelin or Toyo instead, i had General UHP on my 750... and they lasted poorly, ride was comfortable as to low road noise... but i found the 750 to be a bad handler on these...

How are weather conditions there...

Toyo T1R, and you're set.... and they're not that expensive either...

Pirelli P-Zero Nero/Rosso is a good choice too... the Rosso lasts very good...

Michelin Pilot Sport Ps2 is what i'll be sporting for my M5 next month....

If you're rich... Dunlop SP9000 ??

But i'll let you decide

*edit*

I've always wanted to have a set of Rota Torque F Bronze with Michelin Pilot Cup, staggered of course... for track days
Old 09-30-2008, 08:33 AM
Contributors

This is a good resource to research tires:

Tire Rack
Old 09-30-2008, 08:41 AM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

Brandy, PM sent
Old 09-30-2008, 08:42 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

+1 for generals best bang for buck tire out there.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:45 AM
Members

Originally Posted by My535i' post='681767' date='Sep 30 2008, 12:25 PM
+1 on the shocks. Were the tires brand new when they were installed on your 5 or did they have 500 miles of use on some other car?

...Regarding the used tires...perhaps you should give Craigslist a try..might be easier to unload them locally as shipping can be a killer.
they were new - when my husband picked up the car at the auction yesterday in Ohio they had the nipples on them and he drove home to NC from Ohio last night. Good idea about Craigslist! Thanks for the suggestion.
Regards,
Old 09-30-2008, 09:43 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put your new tires on and get a full alingment.

Being that the car isn't that old it would be a low chance of the shocks being shot. Tires wear funny on alot of BMW's and always have for years and years. I don't think there is a more pickyer car when it comes to tires then BMW. Seems like just the slightest thing a hair off puts a whole kink in the system.

+1 on Tire Rack recommendation. Lot of good info and reviews. Also some good closeout prices on some tires. Being in NC depending on how often in your part NC it gets below freezing and light snow you may want to look at a All season sport tire over a pure summer sport tire. Unless your very hard driver chances are you'll never notice a difference in the two. Summer tires can get rock hard in colder weather and are almost worthless in just the littlest of snow.

Waiting for the pics.........

Quick Reply: Santa Claus came early...