E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Safelite windshield Service

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 05:27 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2009 535xi

For my previous Honda, I used Safelite and don't recall any issues.

For my BMW and Benz, I only used the car dealership to install because they can also seal the windshield correctly. They would install and then test drive on the freeway to ensure the windshield was sealed properly.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:33 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Originally Posted by sroach
Arrrggghhh.. Looks like I better start arguing with my insurance company now..

Jay Bimma, I hear what you are saying but the more you research safelite its like 90% bad review and 10% good reviews, I just would rather not deal with the headaches.

Well when I had my windshield done, my insurance carrier would not pay for OEM "BMW" glass, they told me the car had to be within 2-3 years old for OEM. I did however call my dealer and as it turns out, my dealership uses an outside guy to do glass, however he works at the dealership. He gave me the option of using paying the difference between what my insurance would pay and the cost of the OEM BMW glass, or the standard glass he uses. Which as it turns out is the same manufacturer as BMW glass. I would have to double check, but I dont think it was PPG, I think it a subsidiary of PPG. In any case, it wound up being a $500 cost instead of a $900 cost and according to the installer, only difference was the logo. Plus I have the receipt that it was installed at the BMW dealer, so you may want to check your dealer and see if they also do direct replacement windshields with glass options. Just make sure they are using PPG glass, which BMW's glass supplier but I believe under a different name like Pinkleton or SSG or something like that.

There is a big difference between OEE and OEM. What ever route go make sure its OEM glass, it doesnt necessarily have to have the BMW logo on it to be OEM spec

Just an FYI, most dealers thourought the country sub out their windshield and autobody repair, so if you are bringing it to the dealer, its not always them doing the repairs.

GL