E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Rusted Drum brakes

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 06:43 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

I'm confused. What the hell are we talking about?

The handbrake drum is typically located inboard on the driveline; brake disc rotors are behind the wheels and routinely rust up in wet conditions (that's because cast iron is a wonderful heat conductor, but a lousy rust resistor). Those pics referenced in the old thread look like part of the wheel hub. On mine, that hub shines clean when the wheel cleaner is applied at the car wash (every other trip). On the off-times, it appears gray and blotchy, but never rusty.

Since I have not removed the wheels myself on this car, I'm not sure what is what, but I can tell you that, at 2 years+ old, there is no rust there.

Please clarify what/where it is that you are seeing. Maybe there is a difference in high performance brakes. I'm guessing that any rust on the wheels, hub, etc. is deposited there from the brake rotors as they are used after standing in damp climate.
Cheers,
Ray Hull
Old 03-08-2006, 06:54 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Ray Hull' post='251636' date='Mar 8 2006, 03:43 PM
I'm confused. What the hell are we talking about?
Me too, the photo in the above link showed rust on the OUTSIDE of the hub.

I didn't even know there was a secondary drum brake - I thought it was just discs all round (that's rotors in the USA)
Old 03-08-2006, 07:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Brakes and their components (excluding rubber) do rust and as long as the rotor surface is rust free or there's nothing wrong when you hit the brake it should be fine, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

As for the drum brake on your rear wheel which is used for the parking brake, they do rust also and it is recommended by BMW that you apply your handbrake only to stop the car (at a slow speed of course!) to clear the rust once in a while.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:07 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by AC_S5' post='251650' date='Mar 8 2006, 04:03 PM
Brakes and their components (excluding rubber) do rust and as long as the rotor surface is rust free or there's nothing wrong when you hit the brake it should be fine, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

As for the drum brake on your rear wheel which is used for the parking brake, they do rust also and it is recommended by BMW that you apply your handbrake only to stop the car (at a slow speed of course!) to clear the rust once in a while.
Whoohoo official recommendation for handbrake turns Is this a legitimate excuse when faced with the boys in blue ?

(in the bad old days I once drive my ford cortina to a garage with just the handbrake after my front pistons jammed)
Old 03-08-2006, 08:23 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Originally Posted by needforspeed' post='251646' date='Mar 8 2006, 10:54 AM
I didn't even know there was a secondary drum brake - I thought it was just discs all round (that's rotors in the USA)
A lot of cars today have drum brakes as their parking brakes.

If a car has disc parking brakes instead of drum parking brakes, then you would see a small 2nd caliper on the rear brake, like on the Ferrari 360.
Old 03-08-2006, 02:53 PM
Members

My Ride: 530i, Sport Package, Premium Package, Navigation.

I thought the parking brake mechanically acted on the calipers or on the rear diff on some cars and SUVs - I guess this is not the case on the E60?
Old 03-08-2006, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by Ray Hull' post='251636
Me too, the photo in the above link showed rust on the OUTSIDE of the hub.

See reply above to Ray Hull...

Originally Posted by jet190rs' post='251663
I thought the parking brake mechanically acted on the calipers or on the rear diff on some cars and SUVs - I guess this is not the case on the E60?
Every BMW I've owned since 1989 had a secondary drum brake used for the parking brake on a four-wheel disc brake system. The E60 continues with that standard...
Old 03-08-2006, 03:36 PM
Members

My Ride: 530i, Sport Package, Premium Package, Navigation.

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='251851' date='Mar 8 2006, 04:25 PM
Ray, the parking brakes are not "inboard on the driveline," they are inside the hub area of the rear wheels, exactly where the picture below shows the rust. You have to remove the rear disc (rotor) to expose the brake shoes, etc. that are part of the drum system.

See reply above to Ray Hull...
Not necessarily. I'm not an expert on what other manufacturers are doing but in my experiences, I've found that most four wheel disc cars have a mechanical link to the same rear calipers that the hydraulic system uses. In other words, they don't use a secondary rear drum system as the parking brake. I'd bet that better, more upscale cars (like the Ferrari you mention) might have a secondary caliper but it's most likely the exception, not the rule.
Every BMW I've owned since 1989 had a secondary drum brake used for the parking brake on a four-wheel disc brake system. The E60 continues with that standard...
Great post...very informative!
Old 03-08-2006, 05:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by needforspeed' post='251654' date='Mar 9 2006, 12:07 AM
Whoohoo official recommendation for handbrake turns Is this a legitimate excuse when faced with the boys in blue ?

(in the bad old days I once drive my ford cortina to a garage with just the handbrake after my front pistons jammed)
Now did I mention the word slow in my post? When I say slow it meant something like 5 mph and I don't think you can do a handbrake turn then. Plus they did not tell you to turn while pulling your handbrake and if you do that than it's up to you and the boys in blue will not be please
Old 03-09-2006, 01:01 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='251851' date='Mar 9 2006, 12:25 AM
Ray, the parking brakes are not "inboard on the driveline," they are inside the hub area of the rear wheels, exactly where the picture below shows the rust. You have to remove the rear disc (rotor) to expose the brake shoes, etc. that are part of the drum system.
Thanks, I didn't know about the drum brakes - learn something new every day !

So it the 'drum' is the rusty bit in the photo, the brake shoes are inside, so yanking on the handbrake to slow the car won't scrub off this rust?

Quick Reply: Rusted Drum brakes