E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Runflats? Yes? No?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 04:06 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='698890' date='Oct 21 2008, 12:12 PM
Yes and no...

They DO improve handling when cornering!!! I have driven both and it IS a difference!
A couple friends of mine (who are Pro's) say the same.

I do agree to your statement when it comes to track driving.

I agree with Iceman here

At 72K miles I am on my 4th set of tires
Set 1 OEM RFTs to 29k miles

Set 2 OEM RFTs to 52,300 miles (23,300 on this set) Toe-in was out of spec so in addition to many (20 or so) aggressive runs on the Tail of the Dragon (318 curves in 11 miles) I had uneven and unusally high wear on outside on tires (front mostly)

Set 3 PS2s after hearing all the BS about how great they were and how I would find:
1) much smoother ride - NO
b) much quieter ride - NO
iii) better handling wet or dry - dry NO, wet YES (on ToD I felt I was rolling off the tires at turn in on corners - finally after raising to ~41 psi [cold] I could be almost to the cornering capability of the RFTs. but definately not confidence building. All my ToD companions heard me complain bitterly about these PS2s. I was glad when they wore out, and they were in the worst state of wear at 19,000 miles than any of the previous RFT sets. Never had I seen so measuable a difference in the feel between one tire and another as I did in the cornering ability of RFTs to these PS2s.
I also carefully tested the out going RFTs (Bridgestone) on various road surfaces, rough road surfaecs and speed bumps on some local roads preparing for the comparison, even including recording audio with video camera trying to make an objective before to compare to the PS2 after qualities. I was truly amazed that none of the so called "benefits" were apparent as I drove away from the BMW dealer who installed the PS2s. After all the hype - nothing except a noticable improvement in wet traction.

Set 4 Pirelli PZero at 71,300 in 20 inch size on new BBS rims (yes I modded) which is the ONLY reason I did not go back to RFT as these tires came with the wheels. I did not get a chance to really put the Pirellis through their paces on ToD a couple of weeks ago as I had major electrical issues. I did notice a slight harshness to the ride and of course I attribute that to the change downward in profile necessitated by going from 19 to 20 inch tires/wheels.
I'll have to wait till our spring run of ToD to really put these Pirellis through their paces, but I expect them to fall somewhere in between the RFTs and PS2s
Old 10-23-2008, 11:20 AM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i Jet Blk, Blk Int, SMG, Sport, Nav, Prem, CW Pack, L7, PDC

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer' post='698833
im about to change tires too on my 04 530i. currently i have RFTs, if i switch to non-RFTs, will the FTM be affected?

and the bimmer is a daily car, 50mi a day and more on the weekends, purely highway roads, no tracks, which decent tires (all season) do you recommend?
no. I just switched my RFT to non RFT. No FTM affected. Switching tires doesn't affect it from what I've been told (I inquired about this on a thread a few days/week ago). I switched to Goodyear Eagle F1 All Season. I originally wanted something different, but the tire shop I was at didn't have them in stock and the wait was about 6 weeks since they were on backorder and I needed tires asap. Thought I was going on a long distance trip but that got canceled and my one rear tire kept leaking air at a semi rapid rate.

My tires now are a lot quieter, smoother, the car doesn't drift or get that floaty feeling when I hit bumps on the rd. When I do hit bumps, it's not soo harsh and thud-like.

RFT are convenient for the sake of not having to change a flat, but all the cars I've driven and owned prior to my 545i didn't have RFT and I've had several flats already. To me, the benefit of RFT doesn't outweigh the cost and the convenience isn't that big of a deal to me. Non RFT, road hazard, longer lasting tires, changing my own flat and saving several $100s on tires is the more reasonable/practical route for me. I mean after all, I am hauling around a spare in my trunk!
Old 10-23-2008, 05:06 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW 535xi
Model Year: 2008

Stu- Man what a story. You were totally abused by that entire process. Don't blame you for being upset. Thanks for posting the very interesting and informative saga. My heart started racing just reading it. For the first time this Saturday I will be mounting non-run flats so I will be able ot personally experience the difference. Thanks for posting that...
Old 10-25-2008, 06:49 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW E60 530iA

I had Dunlop Runflats (SP 01) in 245 40 R18 and I had about 16.000 km on them. Never again that type of tyres!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very loud, very hard!!

Now I have non-runflat Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta - very silent, very comfortable I?m really happy with them!

Martin
Old 10-25-2008, 07:49 AM
Contributors

Everything is a trade off ... and the only thing that stays the same is that things change!

Remember the uproar when they replaced wooden wheels on your first ride with some of those new rubber things.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:02 AM
Members

I think (know) that the rft`s are getting better all the time in comfort especially! Has anyone got real sparewheel (small) and is it possible to put the wheel in its place in the trunk?

Markku
Old 10-25-2008, 01:28 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530 XD TOURING Luxe, 231HP

I use RFT GoodYearNCT5 on 17" rim (std BMW rims for 530XD touring) and all is fine. Handling is good enough and tyre lasted 70k km before requiring change. For 17" I definitely recommand RFT. Imagine ridding 250km/hrs with kids on back. You do not want to risk non RFT. Small sacrifice to safety.

Good Year aren't that noisy, and I am sure michelin are even better. Handling is sufficiently good that I will probably slow down before the car reaches its limits. And I used to do rally races and do not think I am chicken driving...

Now if you think all is sport and want 20" low profile..I do not know, but then I think you should go for another car...