E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Runflats to non runflats

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 03:22 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 530d SE. Media Package, Sight and Light Package, Front and Rear Park Sensors, Active Steering, Dynamic Drive, Power Folding Dimming Mirrors, Active Cruise Control, Logic 7, Sunroof, Sports Steering Wheel, Advanced Aircon, Comfort Seats, Heated Seats, Oscillating Seats, Air Cooled Seats, Electril Rear Blind, Rear Heated Seats.... probably more that I have forgot! :p

Hi,

Going along the road the yesterday when BAM! IDrive popped up and said I had a flat tire!

Pulled over and looked at my tyres and couldn't see a problem. Drove some more and couldnt feel any issues either. Went into the local garage and took the wheel off, MASSIVE GASH where the wall had came away from the base of the tyre! WTF! the tyre was quite a bit more worn on the inside edge than outside so I had never noticed this.

The question is now, I want to put 19" 172's on my car anyway without runflats so instead of buying a new runflat I am getting the 172's. How will I clear I drive of saying I have a puncture if I put standard tyre 19's on?

Thanks,

Lee.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:45 AM
Members

hi

you will have to reset the FTM (RPA) i suppose
it is an option in idrive, but i don't remember in which menu..
Old 05-06-2008, 03:50 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 530d SE. Media Package, Sight and Light Package, Front and Rear Park Sensors, Active Steering, Dynamic Drive, Power Folding Dimming Mirrors, Active Cruise Control, Logic 7, Sunroof, Sports Steering Wheel, Advanced Aircon, Comfort Seats, Heated Seats, Oscillating Seats, Air Cooled Seats, Electril Rear Blind, Rear Heated Seats.... probably more that I have forgot! :p

So does the tyre warning system still work with non-runflats?

It's a Nov 2004 car if that makes a difference?
Old 05-06-2008, 03:56 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by 530d-Lee' post='575011' date='May 6 2008, 07:50 AM
So does the tyre warning system still work with non-runflats?

It's a Nov 2004 car if that makes a difference?
Yes, you'll be fine -- the warning system is not dependent on the tires...

Once they're all mounted and at the proper psi, just reset the FTM system and enjoy.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:57 AM
Members

Excellent, I knew it would be you that came along and confirmed this Rudy! Was just reading your other post which confirmed it too... http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...amp;hl=run+flat

Cheers,

Lee.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:00 AM
Members

i guess it would work..

here is a topic about reseting the ftm
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...onitor&st=0
and here is the link to the faq
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=2111
Old 05-06-2008, 04:07 AM
Members

Thanks Bilbo.

For any future people finding this if you have rubber stems for inflation valves on your wheels (like me) then your car uses the ABS to callaborate the tyre pressure system and you can just fit any tyre/wheels you want. Use IDrive in Bilbo1's posts above to reset the sensor before driving a few miles on the highway to make the system ready and active.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:29 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='575014' date='May 6 2008, 11:56 AM
Yes, you'll be fine -- the warning system is not dependent on the tires...

Once they're all mounted and at the proper psi, just reset the FTM system and enjoy.
Mmm - how can I confirm this? I wanted to put better tyres (i.e. non-runflats) on my car at the MOT test (annual government standard test for cars > 3 years old), but the $tealer absolutely insisted that the RPA would not work and if I wanted non runflats I'd have to change the rims from the factory-fitted rims.

I enquired at the local KwikFit (a not-very-good tyre depot in the UK) and they told me the dealer was right and that they would not fit non-runflats to my rims.

I had to bite the bullet and get three new runflats to get the car through the MOT test
Old 05-06-2008, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by cjbryce' post='575053' date='May 6 2008, 10:29 AM
Mmm - how can I confirm this? I wanted to put better tyres (i.e. non-runflats) on my car at the MOT test (annual government standard test for cars > 3 years old), but the $tealer absolutely insisted that the RPA would not work and if I wanted non runflats I'd have to change the rims from the factory-fitted rims.

I enquired at the local KwikFit (a not-very-good tyre depot in the UK) and they told me the dealer was right and that they would not fit non-runflats to my rims.

I had to bite the bullet and get three new runflats to get the car through the MOT test
I wish I could be more help but at this point, it looks like it's too late. Bottom line -- the dealer and the KwikFit are 100% wrong! The rims are standard (not runflat specific) and the two types of tire pressure monitoring systems that BMW uses function either off of the rotational speed of the wheel or by a valve-stem mounted sensor that reports the pressure back to the car wirelessly.

If you're still skeptical, watch how many other replies this thread gets that verify what I'm saying (hint, hint.) Aside from the usual wise guys who are going to post something silly, I think you'll find that the overwhelming majority of members here will confirm things (and possibly even recommend a different dealer for you to use in the UK...)

Having said all of that, although the ride is a bit harsher, many people still find the runflats worth having because of the extra convenience and safety that they provide.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

As usual, Rudy is absolutely correct. Many, many people have switched from RF tires to non-RF because of premature wear issues, road noise and poor ride quality. They kept the stock BMW factory rims and there were NO issues. It is really sad how many dealers are misinformed about this issue and frankly the E60 in general.

Quick Reply: Runflats to non runflats