E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Are Runflats to blame for poor grip in damp conditions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 03:42 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: On Order, due in May - 2007MY 530D SE, Silver Grey, Black Dakota, Auto, Brushed aluminium shadowline,sports seats / wheel, hi fi speakers, mats, space saver wheel and a few more bits

My re mapped 530D (272hp, 590Nm) is very difficult when flooring it in damp conditions. Even with DSC etc all on it loses traction in the wet and feels unstable when I floor it. Have I got too much torque or do I need normal tyres (or 4 wheel drive)

Help, I am on a track day in 3 weeks and it is bound to be wet - got 6K miles on the tyres
Old 12-27-2006, 04:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Several articles on tires. This one on RFTs would lead one to conclude yes, worse. But I believe you must evaluate specific tires and not generalize. My Bridgestones are very good, but perhaps not the ultimate.

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?show...26850&hl=tires

Do search on "tires" in Press Articles and Your Comments.
Old 12-27-2006, 07:18 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

i have 3k miles on my current set of dunlop RFTs - absolutely worst tires i've ever driven in the rain with before. not even spirited driving....i'm talking just red light to red light and 40mph crusing on nyc highways in the rain.

puddles - Forgeddaboutit!
these tires aquaplane like a rubber ducky and i'm constantly fighting the steering wheel. had 3 or 4 close calls with the wall and cars next to me the other night.

i'm taking the subway the next time it rains hard here...
Old 12-27-2006, 11:46 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jet190rs' post='371668' date='Dec 28 2006, 04:18 AM
i have 3k miles on my current set of dunlop RFTs - absolutely worst tires i've ever driven in the rain with before. not even spirited driving....i'm talking just red light to red light and 40mph crusing on nyc highways in the rain.

puddles - Forgeddaboutit!
these tires aquaplane like a rubber ducky and i'm constantly fighting the steering wheel. had 3 or 4 close calls with the wall and cars next to me the other night.

i'm taking the subway the next time it rains hard here...
On a recent visit to France with about 6k miles on the tyres we had what I can only describe as "Hollywood Movie Rain" for about three hours.

The Goodyear Eagle NCTs behaved flawlessly throughout.

ABC
Old 12-28-2006, 12:17 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='371727' date='Dec 28 2006, 08:46 AM
On a recent visit to France with about 6k miles on the tyres we had what I can only describe as "Hollywood Movie Rain" for about three hours.

The Goodyear Eagle NCTs behaved flawlessly throughout.

ABC
It's quite bizarre but I think it's more to do with the tyre tread itself rather than runflat/non-runflat. I thought the Dunlop RF's I had were dangerous in the wet but my Michelin PS2's (not best in the wet) are a revelation.

A recent AutoExpress 'review' of Runflats reckoned that Runflats were actually safer in the wet than non-runflats. (Headline was maybe more expensive but could save your life...)
Old 12-28-2006, 12:31 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 525i : Alpine White, Steptronic, Black Interior with Amethyst Leather & Popular Grain Brown, 17" 122-Style Rims, Adaptive Bi-Xenon Headlights, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Advanced A/C, Sports Steering Wheel, Electrically Adjustable Steering Column, Extended Lighting Package, PDC, Sliding Armrest, Bus Navi, Hi-Fi Sound System (MP3 DVDs), CD Changer, Rear Sunshades.. MODS:M-tech front bumper, Painted Grill, Installed Aux-In, Garage Door Opener (Overhead Compartement), ///M Steering wheel, Wood hand brake trim, Wood gear-shift lever. 35% Tint all around.. Got, ACS Roof Spoiler, but not installed..

there have been lots of complaints about RFTs in wet and cold condititon, i cant really judge the tyres as we dont get alot of rain here. but on a dry track day, the RFT will perform amazingly. they are better than non-RFT tyres in fast cornering, because of there stiff sidewall...
i think most complaints about the RFTs grip come as the weather gets colder....
Old 12-28-2006, 01:35 AM
Members

My Ride: My Drive ……X5 3.0d Sport 2004, Sunroof, 6 Speed Auto, SATNAV, TV, Blue Tooth, Sterling Grey, Beige Leather, Folding Mirrors, Auto Dipping Mirrors, 6 CD, Poplar Wood Interior, Sun Protection Glass, Comfort Screen, Heated Seats. My Drive…… 530d Sport (E61) 2005, Carbon Black, Beige Leather, Auto, Comfort Seats, Panoramic Sun Roof, SATNAV Professional, 6 CD, ( Media Pack), Bi- Xenon’s Adaptive, Headlight Washers,Folding Mirrors, Sun Blinds, Sun Protection Glass, Advanced Air Conditioning / Heating, Blue Tooth with integrated Phone. Other Half’s Drive….318 Ci Sport, 2005, Graphite Grey, Red Leather, Full Sports Pack. Three sayings that can help with life “Shy boys get nothing” “You are confusing me with someone who gives a damn” “If you want a friend buy a dog”

Originally Posted by colejl' post='371729' date='Dec 28 2006, 09:17 AM
It's quite bizarre but I think it's more to do with the tyre tread itself rather than runflat/non-runflat. I thought the Dunlop RF's I had were dangerous in the wet but my Michelin PS2's (not best in the wet) are a revelation.

A recent AutoExpress 'review' of Runflats reckoned that Runflats were actually safer in the wet than non-runflats. (Headline was maybe more expensive but could save your life...)
These are the articles you are talking about, they make interesting reading, if accurate.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpr..._tyre_test.html

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/products/203239/runflat_tyre_test.html

Its personal choice at the end of the day, some of us will use Runflats and put up with the less than average ride quality (my car has comfort seats so I am isolated from the worst of the ride) but enjoy the benefits of the tyre technology.

Like AYBEESEA I have used these tyres in torrential rain and it felt nothing but sure footed and I wasn't going slowly. If you want to experience an unforgiving and hard ride try an X5 Sport (not SE) you would never complain about the ride quality of a Runflat even though I have in the past, I am beginning to accept the RF.

Old 12-29-2006, 01:19 AM
Members

My Ride: My Drive ……X5 3.0d Sport 2004, Sunroof, 6 Speed Auto, SATNAV, TV, Blue Tooth, Sterling Grey, Beige Leather, Folding Mirrors, Auto Dipping Mirrors, 6 CD, Poplar Wood Interior, Sun Protection Glass, Comfort Screen, Heated Seats. My Drive…… 530d Sport (E61) 2005, Carbon Black, Beige Leather, Auto, Comfort Seats, Panoramic Sun Roof, SATNAV Professional, 6 CD, ( Media Pack), Bi- Xenon’s Adaptive, Headlight Washers,Folding Mirrors, Sun Blinds, Sun Protection Glass, Advanced Air Conditioning / Heating, Blue Tooth with integrated Phone. Other Half’s Drive….318 Ci Sport, 2005, Graphite Grey, Red Leather, Full Sports Pack. Three sayings that can help with life “Shy boys get nothing” “You are confusing me with someone who gives a damn” “If you want a friend buy a dog”

Bit more info worth a 30 second read.....................

http://uk.biz.yahoo.com/20042006/244/run-f...mainstream.html
Old 12-29-2006, 01:56 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jagman' post='372028' date='Dec 29 2006, 10:19 AM
Bit more info worth a 30 second read.....................

http://uk.biz.yahoo.com/20042006/244/run-f...mainstream.html
Seems like me choose your axe and grind it.

ABC
Old 12-29-2006, 06:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

I spun out and could have died on my runflats.

Switched to Michelins the next week.

Quick Reply: Are Runflats to blame for poor grip in damp conditions?