E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Runflat tires getting noisy

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 07:23 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rudy - Mine too, damn these things are loud !!
Old 10-05-2004, 07:32 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

Tires will always get noisier as they wear.

I just put 2 new Falken 451 to my 328i 234/45/17 (I am selling the car in 2 months so I cheaped out in getting 4), and the noise from the rear axle is completely gone. Now, instead of dolby surround noise, I get 2-channel stereo from the front axle. The new tires also glided over the botts dots, whereas the semi worn tire crashed them.

The moral of the story is, all tires will gradually become noisier and harsher. Switching old tires to new ones, albeit same ones, will give you a "night and day" difference. I would just keep using the runflats until it's time to replace them. But if you're leasing the car, it's smart to leave at least 25% (1/8") thread, and save them till the end of lease.
Old 10-05-2004, 07:36 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Oct 5 2004, 07:29 AM
After 7200 miles on the runflat tires, my car is starting to sound like a monster truck.? Sure, as long as I keep the L7 cranked up I don't hear it.

I'm trying to decided if I should bail out on these tires (and save them for the end-of-lease turn-in) of if I should bite the bullet and just wear them out (which shouldn't be too long).

Anyone else with runflats and some miles hearing an increase in tire noise?
[snapback]41482[/snapback]

Yes I'm at about 6800 and just started to turn up the L7. I also lease Rudy so I'm thinking the same thing. Too bad, I thought this tire issue was going to go away.

I love the stock look of 124 with low profiles. I'd really like to see the 124's without low profiles (good pic?) but I don't think I can do it.

Some definitive findings as to price vs. looks vs. handling vs. longevity would be appreciated (delegate, delegate).

Rudy you're also going for a winter set up too, thats gonna take a bite out of the wallet
Old 10-05-2004, 09:05 AM
JDN
Contributors

Oh boy, I remember going through the noisy tire thing with the 540-6 and OEM tires. I thought I had that behind me. If I have the same noisy experience again, I'll be going for the Michelins -- maybe not quite as good for handling, but good enuf and much quieter.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:33 AM
Senior Members

Tirerack

Goodyear Eagle F1............Best performer

Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 and AS....... less performance, less noise

PZero....best all around

Thats how I'm interpreting their site.

It's a $1K purchase so I'll be looking long and hard at this one..........
Old 10-05-2004, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by speedracerF4i' date='Oct 5 2004, 11:32 AM
Tires will always get noisier as they wear.?

I just put 2 new Falken 451 to my 328i 234/45/17 (I am selling the car in 2 months so I cheaped out in getting 4), and the noise from the rear axle is completely gone.? Now, instead of dolby surround noise, I get 2-channel stereo from the front axle.? The new tires also glided over the botts dots, whereas the semi worn tire crashed them.

The moral of the story is, all tires will gradually become noisier and harsher.? Switching old tires to new ones, albeit same ones, will give you a "night and day" difference.? I would just keep using the runflats until it's time to replace them.? But if you're leasing the car, it's smart to leave at least 25% (1/8") thread, and save them till the end of lease.
[snapback]41519[/snapback]
Well sure, tires always get noisier as they wear but there's an acceptable noise level, and then there's the noise I'm getting after only 7000 miles on these runflats. The last time I heard this type of sound was on a jacked up 4-wheel drive Jeep with big mudders all around!

I may end up just running these things until they're done. I wonder if the noise will be a bit less once some more tread is worn? Right now, it's almost like some perfect harmonic frequency is being hit with the tread depth as it currently is. If I try to save these for lease end, I'm running the risk that I'll be pulling off good tires and be stuck with them. Also, I'd have to pay once more to have the runflats mounted and balanced. It may be simpler to simply raise the issue with the dealer to see what can be done.
Old 10-05-2004, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jtxc' date='Oct 5 2004, 11:36 AM
Yes I'm at about 6800 and just started to turn up the L7.? I also lease Rudy so I'm thinking the same thing. Too bad, I thought this tire issue was going to go away.

I love the stock look of 124 with low profiles.? I'd really like to see the 124's without low profiles (good pic?) but I don't think I can do it.

Some definitive findings as to price vs. looks vs. handling vs. longevity would be appreciated (delegate, delegate).

Rudy you're also going for a winter set up too, thats gonna take a bite out of the wallet
[snapback]41520[/snapback]
I'll be figuring out my winter setup soon. I usually go with a full set of wheels & tires from the Tire Rack. Since I'm likely to lease another E60 after my lease, I can use the same winter wheels for both cars (which is what I did on my two E39's).
Old 10-05-2004, 10:33 AM
Contributors

I concur that these tires don't handle all that well and are harsh-riding. Mine aren't noisy yet - 2,500 miles, so I'm okay there. Also, they like to squeal on turns.

On the '01 540i, the Bridgestone S-03s I tried squealed like nuts, too, so I ended up with the Goodyear F1 GSD3s - I loved them. Super sticky, quiet, very smooth, and good in the rain. Great all-around tire, in my opinion. I will definitely be getting those after the factory Dunlops.
Old 10-05-2004, 11:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: #1: 2004 545i; 6-speed manual; Sport Package; Mystic Blue with a gray leather interior and Anthracite wood; CWP; Logic 7. #2: 2010 535xi Touring; Automatic.

At 3,200 miles, my Dunlop runflats haven't yet had these problems, but I'll be on the lookout.

One thing nobody has mentioned is the safety/convenience of runflats. With my wife and maybe kid on board, I am really reluctant to drop the runflats.

I'll be switching my stock Dunlops (275 rear, 245 front) to Winter Sport M3s (225/50s with 17" wheels) for winter soon, anyhow. Then see how the summer tires do once they're re-mounted next spring. I know the runflats will always be harsher, but I put a lot of value on the insurance against having to change a tire, or my wife having to do so, on a dark highway in the snow.
Old 10-05-2004, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by tab545' date='Oct 5 2004, 03:06 PM
I know the runflats will always be harsher, but I put a lot of value on the insurance against having to change a tire, or my wife having to do so, on a dark highway in the snow.
[snapback]41554[/snapback]
I somehow think that the runflats aren't going to be very good in the snow. Do they make runflat snow tires?

Quick Reply: Runflat tires getting noisy