E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

run flats on leased vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 06:00 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 08 535i came with Dunlop run flats. I'm sure I will have to replace the tires before lease end. My question is, must I return the car with Dunlop run flats, or can I return with non run flats (as long as they are same quality)?
Thanks
Walt
Old 04-19-2010, 06:07 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 525d M Sport 2006

i'm no expert, but i think you have to return them with run flats, since they are of a different value (run flats are more expensive), so if you hand it back with normal tyres, then you're sort of giving them less back !
Old 04-19-2010, 06:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Assuming your current set is in generally good order, you could take the runflats off and store them, replace them with better tires and stick your original set of run flats back on as you return the car. For me, my 550 was transformed by switching out the run flats for a better high performance summer tire. I get the safety benefits of runflats, but they destroy the ride/handling in an E60. It's not like you can cruise at autobahn speeds in the US - if we could, I'd stick with the runflats.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 M3 Convertible, Alpine White/black, 6 speed 2011 535xi Tasmin Green, Venetian Beige

Car must be returned with run flats.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:50 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Sport Pak

look in your lease agreement and talk to your dealer. We returned a 325i with pretty low tire tread and they didn't charge, but it was at their discretion.

In order for the dealer to CPO the car, "APPROVED" run flats will need to be installed. You will need to ask BMW what is on the approval list. The car can not be CPO'd with out meeting a bunch of specs, including tires. That may be important to the dealer, or they may put brand new tires on the car anyway.

But.... It probably depends on your dealer, but to be on safe side, you will need approved run flats. But like someone said, if you have enough tread on current ones, you could swap out now and put them back on before returning.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:57 AM
Senior Members

I would say it needs to be returned with the run flats.

Here is a suggestion. When you get close to your lease end, put a want to buy add in the classified for OEM run flats. People often look to unload them. Often very cheap. I sold my OEM 245/45/18 Dunlop run flats with 50 miles on them (were replaced as part of the CPO process) for $550.00 when they were $1300 for a new set on tirerack.

Even if you get a used set, it would be fine to return with the lease. Good luck.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

Originally Posted by swajames
Assuming your current set is in generally good order, you could take the runflats off and store them, replace them with better tires and stick your original set of run flats back on as you return the car. For me, my 550 was transformed by switching out the run flats for a better high performance summer tire. I get the safety benefits of runflats, but they destroy the ride/handling in an E60. It's not like you can cruise at autobahn speeds in the US - if we could, I'd stick with the runflats.
+1.. i would take them off, buy yourself a good set of tires, and put the runflats on when you return the car..
Old 04-19-2010, 07:41 AM
Members

My Ride: Current rides: 2011 Z4 35i MSport DCT (pictures coming) 2010 535i MSport 2008K1200GT (Sold) 2001 541i MSport (Sold) 2007 Z4 Coupe

In reference to tires, my lease agreement talks about tread depth only. Not a word about runflats.

I guess I'll ask before I get surprised.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 M3 Convertible, Alpine White/black, 6 speed 2011 535xi Tasmin Green, Venetian Beige

It seems like any thread that involves run flats turns into a bashing session. I had 9 flats and/or sidewall ruptures on the run flats that came on my 2006 550i. I really didn't care about the money because I always buy wheel/tire coverage. What I did care about was that each time I was able to drive to the dealer at my convenience and have them replaced. I have had 4 flats on my 2008 550i, all caused by monster potholes and I was stranded waiting for BMW Assist 3 different times. Once, I missed a dinner with my family, once I was late to pick up the kids and once I missed a date that I had set up weeks before. The newer models have suspensions set up specifically for OEM tires but that aside, I will take carrying on with my life after a blow out over sitting by the side of the road waiting for a ridiculous looking donut to be installed any day.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:03 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JeffNNJ
It seems like any thread that involves run flats turns into a bashing session. I had 9 flats and/or sidewall ruptures on the run flats that came on my 2006 550i. I really didn't care about the money because I always buy wheel/tire coverage. What I did care about was that each time I was able to drive to the dealer at my convenience and have them replaced. I have had 4 flats on my 2008 550i, all caused by monster potholes and I was stranded waiting for BMW Assist 3 different times. Once, I missed a dinner with my family, once I was late to pick up the kids and once I missed a date that I had set up weeks before. The newer models have suspensions set up specifically for OEM tires but that aside, I will take carrying on with my life after a blow out over sitting by the side of the road waiting for a ridiculous looking donut to be installed any day.
+1 on this, but the ride quality on the run-flats is not great compared to regular tires.

I'm glad my MY2007 came with a full size spare, so I dont have to worry about this happening

Quick Reply: run flats on leased vehicle