E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

run flats

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 01:32 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 BMW 550, Sport, Navi, PS, CWP, Sirius

Originally Posted by rafichicago
As far as I know ABS and DSC is configured differently in cars equiped with run flats.
The above is not true.
Anyway, I would suggest replacing RFT with another RFT, just get it from a cheaper that your dealer source like tirerack.com.
You do not want to use additional safety and handling advantages of RFT tires.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:42 PM
Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i M Sport

I do not understand how RFT's would handle differently from non RFT's? I've ridden both rfts and non. There is night and day difference. I am not the only one that tried both. This is not a theoretical BS. It comes down to personal preferences. Either better ride and IMO handling, or worse and noisier ride with extra safety. If the safety coming from RFTs would be so much greater we would have RFTs installed in every brand new car. However, do RFTs give You extra safety? No question about it but let's not get paranoid. Is ride with the a lot worse? This is obvious. As for calibration of ABS and DSC I got this info from BMW dealership, so I thought they are right. I will not argue over it though.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:40 PM
Members

My Ride: 2009 M3

I can't speak for the RFT's on the e60 yet since I'm still running them. But on my e90 that I had, I noticed an improvement in traction, handling and ride quality when I removed the RTF's. In your case though I would say replace the one tire with the same thing, I wouldn't mix/match...especially between RTF and non-RTF.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:41 PM
Members

You don't ever want to mix and match tires on the same axle. It will cause adverse handling.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:42 PM
Members

Is that the front tire and if so is it a bridgestone? I have one that is in good condition
Old 02-11-2010, 06:35 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550, Sport, Navi, PS, CWP, Sirius

Originally Posted by rafichicago
I do not understand how RFT's would handle differently from non RFT's? I've ridden both rfts and non. There is night and day difference. I am not the only one that tried both. This is not a theoretical BS. It comes down to personal preferences. Either better ride and IMO handling, or worse and noisier ride with extra safety. If the safety coming from RFTs would be so much greater we would have RFTs installed in every brand new car. However, do RFTs give You extra safety? No question about it but let's not get paranoid. Is ride with the a lot worse? This is obvious. As for calibration of ABS and DSC I got this info from BMW dealership, so I thought they are right. I will not argue over it though.
Dealers are known for BS and plain ignorance. RFTs feel more planted and firm around fast corners, assuming the same car and suspension. Now since RFTs sidewals are firmer it is possible to have overall softer, more comfortable suspension. So suspension is tuned differently but not ABS/DSC. The only RFTs disadvantage, except being more expensive and non-repairable, is mid-corner bums handling. Here RFTs can be plain dangerous.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:30 PM
Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i M Sport

I have to say that the thing that I hated the most about them was noise that was getting worse with the milage, and having a run-flat is like having $400 condom. Can't reuse it
Old 02-11-2010, 11:27 PM
Banned

My Ride: 05' Bmw 530i Sport Package

thanks for your feedback guys, I ordered a used dunlop sport 93y on tuesday. my original tire was a 93w, that's not gna make a difference in ride rite? I'm gng to put that replacement tire on the front and rotate the fronts to the rear now. When I took the car to get checked the guy at discount tire said my rear tires were "concaved inward" like instead of the tires butterflying out when there's bad camber the tires "butterfly inward" which what may have caused it to blow out from inner tire. Has any seen this on their cars at all? my other rear tire might have same problem
Old 02-12-2010, 10:37 AM
Members

Another thing about these dreaded runflats. Not only the ride quality is harsh, they are noisy, but i have been really struggling to get my Goodyear Eagle NCT 5's to wear out.

Usually they develop a bulge in the sidewall before i get near to 20k miles on them.. :thumbsdown:

And another thing re this ditch them after a puncture. I had all this off my tyre dealers. Its BS for the Goodyear in any case. See this http://eu.goodyear.com/uk_en/tires/r...ils.jsp?page=3
Old 02-12-2010, 03:17 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

RFT's suck!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: run flats