E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Run Flat Tyres (or Tires)

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 03:39 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535D Sport Touring '05

I've just discovered a nail in my 535D MSports tyre and need to get it sorted.

After reading loads of threads on this subject, I had decided to swap from the run-flats when they wore out.

I presume it's a bad idea to change just one - but what about two?

Also - when I mentioned it to BMW they told me that they would not be allowed to fit non-run-flats on my car - as instructed by the manufacturer.

As a final question - can anyone recommend a cheap tyre dealer from the UK - what sort of price should I pay (not sure on size at the minute, but they were standard 18inch from the Msport)
Old 10-25-2007, 04:16 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by elmbeck' post='485900' date='Oct 25 2007, 01:39 PM

Why would you like to change the tyre ?

I had 2 RF tyres repaired, on my Mini, for at least a year .
Repair it!
Old 10-25-2007, 04:21 AM
Members

I didn't think run-flats could be repaired?

Obviously they can.
Old 10-25-2007, 04:46 AM
bph
Members

Originally Posted by elmbeck' post='485900' date='Oct 25 2007, 01:39 PM
Also - when I mentioned it to BMW they told me that they would not be allowed to fit non-run-flats on my car - as instructed by the manufacturer.

I talked to the BMW Technischer Dienst in Munich and asked whether I may put non-run-flats on my 535d and he answered "yes of course. rft is only a recommendation of bmw"
Old 10-25-2007, 05:02 AM
Contributors

It depends on the damage as to whether or not a runflat can be damaged - but from what I understand, most people recommend that they should not be repaired. I guess this partly comes down to safety, and partly comes down to the fact that they make more money from selling new tyres.

BMW sell the E60 with and without runflats, so to say that they cannot fit them is crazy. Tyres are one of the few things however that you don't have to get from BMW - go to any tyre shop and just ask for some good quality non runflat tyres. Tyres are something you DON'T want to try and save a few pounds/dollars on. Cheap tyres will be slippier, noiser, not last as long, etc etc. Get the best you can afford - never put cheap tyres on any car let alone an E60 !
Old 10-25-2007, 05:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by elmbeck' post='485905' date='Oct 25 2007, 07:21 AM
I didn't think run-flats could be repaired?

Obviously they can.
Sometimes they can be, sometimes not. Depends on the location of the nail, at least according to my dealer. If the nail is close to the center of the tread where it did not affect the internal structure that gives run-flats the rigidity to go without air, it can be repaired. If the nail hit that hard plastic that holds up the tire in the event of pressure loss, they will not repair it.

And the crap about not putting non-run flats on the car is exactly that, crap...
Old 10-25-2007, 05:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by elmbeck' post='485900' date='Oct 25 2007, 07:39 PM
I've just discovered a nail in my 535D MSports tyre and need to get it sorted.

After reading loads of threads on this subject, I had decided to swap from the run-flats when they wore out.

As a final question - can anyone recommend a cheap tyre dealer from the UK - what sort of price should I pay (not sure on size at the minute, but they were standard 18inch from the Msport)
if you what the best performes I would change all tires to the same.
Done have 2 run flat and 2 non-runflats, the ride will be bad.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:24 AM
Members

Kwik Fit want ?208 (fitted) for the Goodyear 245/40R18 but i get the feeling they will price match - any ideas?

They also suggested that I should contact my insurance if i change to non-run-flat - as it is non-standard. I didn't realise it would be such a big deal changing them?
Old 10-25-2007, 11:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by elmbeck' post='485991' date='Oct 25 2007, 12:24 PM
Kwik Fit want ?208 (fitted) for the Goodyear 245/40R18 but i get the feeling they will price match - any ideas?

They also suggested that I should contact my insurance if i change to non-run-flat - as it is non-standard. I didn't realise it would be such a big deal changing them?
Contact you insurance? Have never heard such nonsense. My UK insurance is a bit different here in the US but I was never asked what kind of tires I had on my car. I did get asked if it had daytime running lights, anti-lock brakes etc, but not if the car had run-flat tires. Change them if you want and don't call your insurer...
Old 10-25-2007, 06:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by elmbeck' post='485991' date='Oct 26 2007, 01:24 AM

well for the insurance you must tell them every thing you mod on the car if itis not standard or they mite not give you money if there is a crash.
In HK no 1 tells the insurance guys they have mod there cars.

Quick Reply: Run Flat Tyres (or Tires)