E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Run Flat Tyres test by Fifth Gear TV show

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 03:20 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E61 CarbonBlack 535d, Ventilated and Heated Comfort Seats with Massage in Black Nasca Leather, Dark Poplar Wood, Professional Navi, Folding Rear Seats, Load Through, Advanced Remote, PDC, Bluetooth, Dimming and folding Mirrors, Bi-Xenons, Hi-Fi, Tinted

Thanks for uploading the vid! I agree with you.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 06' 530xi E61 Saphire Black / Dakota Black - aluminum 11' A4 Avant 2.0T Brilliant Black / Black - aluminum

I have driven on both and as much as I don't really have major complaint about the RFT's (had 18's and 19's) the ride quality is better without them no doubt. I currently run 19' non RFT tires on my 335i.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535xi / Platinum Grey / Black leather / Step Auto / Sport / Premium / Cold weather / 18" wheels / Logic 7 / Comfort / ipod / Navigation / Fold Down Rear Seats / Rear Airbags / Sirius SAT / Spoiler / Extended Clear bra / Bluetooth. (Previously owned a 2002 sport 525I Loaded). On order: 535xi Platnium Grey with Black interior, Step Auto, Sports package, Premium package, Cold weather package, 18" wheels, Logic 7, Comfort access, ipod adapt, Navigation, Sat radio, Rear spoiler, Extended Clear coat bra.

My run flats are still brand new in storage. I think I have about 500 miles or less on them.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:37 AM
Members

I love RTF's they've saved me a few times from highspeed blowouts. I would never change back to the standard tyres again.

My rear tyres have are nearly at the limits now and I will be getting some more, just not sure what make to go with this time around.
Old 05-31-2009, 12:45 PM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Again the primary v secondary safety arguement.

Runflats will give you grater protection in the event of a blowout - secondary safety.

Primary safety - non runflats give better grip and handling so less likely to have an accident through this means.

many people seem to experience more punctures in runflats that normal tyres, me included.

12000 miles on runflats 2 punctures.

50000 miles on standard ttres -no punctures.

You make your own choice
Old 05-31-2009, 05:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Well, let me add some gas to the fire: I just bought and installed a set of non-RFT Continentals. I am going to a BMW meet on June 6th, so I decided to run it with RFTs in the front and regular tires in the back to test the control and reliability. From what it looks like, these tires will have to be working mighty hard, as we're going for a lengthy drive through mountain road and the weather will likely be in the 80s F. My RFTs are most likely coming back after the drive, but the initial impression from having driven the car a few miles after the Contis were installed is UN-BE-LIEVABLE! The difference in comfort - and I'd say handling too, actually! - is so tremendous, that if I had to get new tires today, I would not even hesitate and get the regular tires. Let's see how I feel about it in a week...
Old 05-31-2009, 09:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by v_therussian' post='896063' date='May 31 2009, 09:47 PM
Well, let me add some gas to the fire: I just bought and installed a set of non-RFT Continentals...
CORRECTION: I bought and installed a pair of Contis - not a full set.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:25 AM
Members

My Ride: 07 530i|Silver Gray/Black| Premium|Sport|NAV|Auto|PDC|Sunshade|

Originally Posted by v_therussian' post='896307' date='Jun 1 2009, 01:24 AM
CORRECTION: I bought and installed a pair of Contis - not a full set.
What type of Conti's are they? Still deciding on RFT or not since I do not have a spare tire. What would you do if you had no spare and you have a leak from a nail?

Anyone tried the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 ZP ($289 w/o road hazard, $324 with road hazard). With RFTs, would one still need road hazard insurance?
Old 06-02-2009, 10:46 AM
Members

Originally Posted by low_ball_88' post='898052' date='Jun 2 2009, 02:25 PM
What type of Conti's are they? Still deciding on RFT or not since I do not have a spare tire. What would you do if you had no spare and you have a leak from a nail?

Anyone tried the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 ZP ($289 w/o road hazard, $324 with road hazard). With RFTs, would one still need road hazard insurance?
IMO, it is wiser to get road hazard insurance for RFTs couple of reasons. Well, vendors or retailers will not try to repair the puncture on RFTs depending on manufacturer or model. eg) Pirelli' s P Zero RFTs can not be repaired as the manufacturer states they r unrepairable. ( technically you could try to repair it but the shop will likely refuse to do so ). Dunlop allows only one time repair on rfts with puncture. If you get the road hazard insurance then the vendor will just replace the damaged tire for free.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:53 AM
Members

My Ride: 07 530i|Silver Gray/Black| Premium|Sport|NAV|Auto|PDC|Sunshade|

Originally Posted by ssibaroma' post='898079' date='Jun 2 2009, 02:46 PM
IMO, it is wiser to get road hazard insurance for RFTs couple of reasons. Well, vendors or retailers will not try to repair the puncture on RFTs depending on manufacturer or model. eg) Pirelli' s P Zero RFTs can not be repaired as the manufacturer states they r unrepairable. ( technically you could try to repair it but the shop will likely refuse to do so ). Dunlop allows only one time repair on rfts with puncture. If you get the road hazard insurance then the vendor will just replace the damaged tire for free.
Are you sure if you get a nail and it is not repairable, you get a new tire for free if you have road hazard insurance? I thought the road hazard is for a tire that was damaged because of defects only. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Quick Reply: Run Flat Tyres test by Fifth Gear TV show