E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Run Flat Tyres test by Fifth Gear TV show

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 08:24 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DD_545i' post='892899' date='May 28 2009, 10:45 AM
A lot of people don't seem to like them here, saying that the ride is harsh. I've found this (e60) ride to be much better than my previous (Audi A6) ride, despite this one having RFTs and the previous one not having them. So ride-wise, I've got no problems. Based on this test video, and the other one I saw on German TV, I'm sticking with them on this and future rides. I think I haven't said rides enough, rides rides rides.

This video is from an April 2004 episode of the british car show Fifth Gear and coincidentally, they test using an E60

Youtube_Link
I actually do not have any complaints on harsh ride with rft's on. One thing that really gets on my nerves is that rft' s make this annoying ' humming noise'. Although my wife' s 7 series also came with rfts, it is just so silent unlike my 5er. As a result, I was gonna get non run flat tires but this video has just put me in a dilemma.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:12 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ssibaroma' post='893021' date='May 28 2009, 06:24 PM
I actually do not have any complaints on harsh ride with rft's on. One thing that really gets on my nerves is that rft' s make this annoying ' humming noise'. Although my wife' s 7 series also came with rfts, it is just so silent unlike my 5er. As a result, I was gonna get non run flat tires but this video has just put me in a dilemma.
Are the 7's RFTs the same make?
Old 05-28-2009, 09:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 E61 530d M-Sport.

Continental now exclusively supply the new Passat with a self sealing tyre with a gel layer. It gets around the ride quality issues of run flats as when the tyre gets a leak the gel seals up the hole. So it even seals up if you pull out a nail. http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/...g_tyres_en.html I think the Passat has exclusivity for 12 or 18 months before other sizes are released. If they are out when I need new tyres they are what I will fit to my car.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:48 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Dandle' post='893072' date='May 28 2009, 07:27 PM
Continental now exclusively supply the new Passat with a self sealing tyre with a gel layer. It gets around the ride quality issues of run flats as when the tyre gets a leak the gel seals up the hole. So it even seals up if you pull out a nail. http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/...g_tyres_en.html I think the Passat has exclusivity for 12 or 18 months before other sizes are released. If they are out when I need new tyres they are what I will fit to my car.
That's outrageous bullshit for them to want to keep a safety feature exclusive. Sounds like a great idea.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:19 AM
Members

Originally Posted by DD_545i' post='893062' date='May 28 2009, 01:12 PM
Are the 7's RFTs the same make?
well I do not know about other year' s and none long wheel base models but 08 750Li came with Pirelli P Zero run flats. 528I with sport package came with dunlop' s.

Now that you mention the difference in brands of the run flats. I am wondering if these dunlop' s happen to make this 'humming noise' where other brands rft's don't.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530 d M-sport e60

i have no problem with them, picked up two nails and both times they got me out of the shit, i have goodyear eagle nct5`s
Old 05-28-2009, 11:29 AM
Contributors

Youtube might take down that video soon. They sent me a copyright warning but said I don't have to do anything at this point. Kinda weird. I reckon they'll pull it down soon though, I've got no defence, it's copyright material alright.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 E61 530d M-Sport.

Originally Posted by BLooD' post='893222' date='May 28 2009, 08:27 PM
i have no problem with them, picked up two nails and both times they got me out of the shit, i have goodyear eagle nct5`s
From what I gather they are the best of the runflats BMW use. I to have them and dont really have any problem with them.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

I went through two full sets of OEM Bridgestone RFTs (52k total miles) before I succumbed to what I now believe is total placebo hype for Michlein PS2s and put them on for around 20 k miles. I did a video (for the audio) recording as I drove to the dealer to replace 25k old RFTs with those PS2s. I could not hear any difference, or feel any difference under normal driving conditions here in east Central Florida (east/west, north/south, no curves). However, on the ToD I thought I was going to kill myself on those PS2s. Felt like I was going to roll over as the fronts jsut want to roll under the wheel. I had to boost the cold PSI up to 41 to even get close to the feel of the RFT with its non-pliant super stiff sidewall. Total grip was not significantly better in the dry on curves although in the wet they (PS2s) were better. Was just about to return to Bridgstone RFT when a came upon a good deal for new 20" wheels and new Pirelli P-Zero assimetrics. Now on those and better on the twisties than my 19" PS2s, but maybe 20" PS2s would also be an improvement since the sidwall is thinner profile - 40 to 35 in front and 35 to 30 in rear). Also the Perillis are a bit noisier than either the PS2s or the RFTs I had. Overall I am ready to go back to pure OEM tires and RFTs based on my personal experience. That is not to say that others may have a different experience altogether. I am just pointing out my experience and how I thought based on some very carefull comparisons I made on noie, ride and handling, I thought the PS2s were vastly over hyped compared to my personal RFT experience.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Cobradav, I do agree with you on the PS2's. They are over-hyped. I found the GS-D3 to be a better tire than the PS2 (I have owned both). That said, based on my own experience I maintain the position that a good tire does transform the E60/E63. I'm looking hard at the Bridgestone RE-11's right now. They seem to be a stellar tire, close to R compound and with great grip. Only downside maybe tread wear, but that's a price you have to pay with most high performance tires.

Quick Reply: Run Flat Tyres test by Fifth Gear TV show