E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Rudy's full review of the 2008 550i Sport Automatic

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 04:16 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by stanatl' post='450162' date='Jul 20 2007, 07:45 AM
Thanks Rudy - great write up and a great car. I am interested in your longer term evaluation of the Night Vision. Of all the options I got, that is the one that I would not get again in another car. I find I never use it and having to keep looking at the screen while driving at night on a dark road (where it would be the most effective), is not the safest thing in the world. Now, if it showed up in the HUD, that would be a different story. In hind sight, I should have gotten the ventilated seats instead.
From what I'm hearing, the key to night vision is to train yourself to glance at it (like you'd glance at a rearview mirror) and not stare at it. Clearly, I haven't done that yet so the jury is still out on this option. From the standpoint of the "coolness factor" it really can't be beat though!
Old 07-20-2007, 04:28 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER
Thanks Rudy, great and informative write up. You make most of the magazine writers take a back seat. Again thanks,enjoy.
cheers
vern
Old 07-20-2007, 04:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Carbon Black 550i, Sports, Premium & Cold Weather Packages, Steptronic, HUD, NAV.

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='450051' date='Jul 20 2007, 01:11 AM
I've been evaluating the L7 but before I determine my position, I need to listen to a real CD instead of 128Kbps MP3 files. Again, my trip tomorrow should allow me to do some more evaluations...
Rudy,

Thanks for the great write-up! I only wish I could have been able to read something like this before I bought my car...

A quick question - do you still have the 6-CD changer or not?

Thanks!
Old 07-20-2007, 05:01 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bauska530i' post='450171' date='Jul 20 2007, 08:51 AM
Rudy,

Thanks for the great write-up! I only wish I could have been able to read something like this before I bought my car...

A quick question - do you still have the 6-CD changer or not?

Thanks!
Thanks. After not using the changer very much on my old car, and since the new car has the USB interface, I figured it would be stupid to get the changer again. I pondered moving the changer from the old car to the new but figured the next owner of the old car could benefit from having it way more than I would.

Speaking of the next owner of my old car, it'll be interesting to see if he/she ends up finding this place...
Old 07-20-2007, 05:18 AM
Contributors

Thanks. Sounds like a beast. On my LCI 528i, I do not have the one-light led seat heater, but the traditional 3 light heater (which doesn't automatically engage i-drive). I suppose that is part of the 550i only??

Edit: I would guess that that function is part of the ventilated seat option you got....
Old 07-20-2007, 05:22 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bmw093' post='450175' date='Jul 20 2007, 09:18 AM
Thanks. Sounds like a beast. On my LCI 528i, I do not have the one-light led seat heater, but the traditional 3 light heater (which doesn't automatically engage i-drive). I suppose that is part of the 550i only??

Edit: I would guess that that function is part of the ventilated seat option you got....
Could be.

It also could be that my software version is newer, I guess. I forgot to get the version from my tech (he said he'd look it up when he did the PDI).

We'll know soon enough as others chime in...
Old 07-20-2007, 05:49 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='450166' date='Jul 20 2007, 08:16 AM
From what I'm hearing, the key to night vision is to train yourself to glance at it (like you'd glance at a rearview mirror) and not stare at it. Clearly, I haven't done that yet so the jury is still out on this option. From the standpoint of the "coolness factor" it really can't be beat though!
Yup! The "cool factor" is high. It has never failed to impress the first time passenger in the car. On the other hand, it is a pretty expensive option if the primary positive of it is to impress first time passengers. Besides, I'm running out of first time passengers.
Old 07-20-2007, 05:51 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by stanatl' post='450181' date='Jul 20 2007, 09:49 AM
Yup! The "cool factor" is high. It has never failed to impress the first time passenger in the car. On the other hand, it is a pretty expensive option if the primary positive of it is to impress first time passengers. Besides, I'm running out of first time passengers.
I agree that it's not worth it just for the coolness factor. I do think that it may turn out to be something that I'll adapt to though so I'm still hopeful that it was worth the premium...
Old 07-20-2007, 07:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550, Carbon Black Metallic, Natural Brown Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades, etc. Retired - 2004 545 SMG, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Dakota Leather, Cold Weather and Sports Packages, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades

Rudy -

How about a comparison of the early build cupholders to the LCI cupholders? Inquirng minds want to know.

Seriously, though a minor point I needto know if I will need an aftermarket cupholder or if the "auto-eject" feature of my 2004 cupholder has been corrected.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:33 AM
Members

My Ride: Close to ordering 2008 550i Sport Packg w/ sport auto tran. Previous owner of 2000 328i and 2003 E39 M5

Thanks for the great write up Rudy! It was the perfect bed time reading before I fell asleep. My girlfriend is familiar with our BMW insanity for sure.

Im very curious how this transmission will respond after break-in. I am Really curious how this car will perform from a stop in Sport mode/Manual. I wonder how muchmore of a SMG feel it will have as opposed to the Steptronic.

Driving on the highway, weaving in and out of traffic, should be an absolute blast with downshifting, etc..

If you are in full auto mode and press the sport button, does the car's attitude change without being in manual or using the shift paddles?

Couple more questions..

1. How are the seats?

2. Can you transfer pictures from an ipod/iphone to the idrive screen?

3. I have had several SA's tell me that the break-in is not necessary on non-///M cars. What is the story with this? The 550i that I test drove..we pushed to the limit and it had 40 miles on it.

Quick Reply: Rudy's full review of the 2008 550i Sport Automatic