E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Rudy's full review of the 2008 550i Sport Automatic

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 10:37 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the SAT and would get it again in a heartbeat, as Rudy mentioned it's the best $500 option out there.

Once the novelty wore off I rarely use the paddle shifters, I love the feel of the gear lever and generally prefer to use it for occasional manual shifting. I run in Sport mode 90+% of the time, it just feels like a different car in Sport mode.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:44 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i 10/12 Delivery Date - Deep Sea Blue Metallic: Black Nasca Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, SAT, Logic 7, HD Radio, SatNav, Power Rear Sunshades, Comfort Access, Active Steering, iPod/USB interface, and Bamboo Anthracite Trim. Other ride: Lexus 95 LS400 193000 Miles and still going.

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='861102' date='Apr 27 2009, 08:07 PM
Well I'm a few months short of two years with the SAT and I do like it more than I did when I wrote my initial review. That said, I'd order one again but only if the SMG (or a DCT) still wasn't available. The SAT is really an amazing transmission for an auto box and, in my opinion, is worth the extra $500 over the steptronic...

I'm curious...since now there are so many other members with the SAT, let's hear what you all have to say about it. Would you get it again? Do you agree with me? Disagree? Anything else you can add?
I would have to agree with Rudy. The SAT is a solid transmission. One of my fav features is being able to go into temporary manual mode instantly by pushing the paddle levers; while keeping the gear selector in D. Also there are two different sport modes with this transmission: the normal sport mode (S1-S6) you get by moving the gear selector to the left and the SPORT button which you can activate in any mode even on top of the regular sport mode.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:29 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

Rudy, I've had my SAT equipped 550i a bit more than a year, and my appreciation for this tranny grows every time I have the opportunity to challenge it. I've never had an SMG and can't compare, but have always had MTs until this car, and I have to say on balance I'm glad I got the SAT. I use the paddle shifters more frequently than the gear selector when in manual or sport mode, and feel like I could never have matched the speed and smoothness with the
MT, as good as I "think I am"...

Anyway, great review a couple years ago, and the tranny has more than lived up to expectations in my view.

Cal
Old 04-28-2009, 01:32 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

Originally Posted by KPatel8483' post='861729' date='Apr 28 2009, 11:44 AM
I would have to agree with Rudy. The SAT is a solid transmission. One of my fav features is being able to go into temporary manual mode instantly by pushing the paddle levers; while keeping the gear selector in D. Also there are two different sport modes with this transmission: the normal sport mode (S1-S6) you get by moving the gear selector to the left and the SPORT button which you can activate in any mode even on top of the regular sport mode.

Actually, I think you have just S1-S5 available... 6th is locked out in this mode.

Cal
Old 04-28-2009, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by grogan545' post='861624' date='Apr 28 2009, 01:22 PM
The standard step does have a sport mode.If you push the shift lever to the left it goes into sport mode,and you are correct there is a big diff between standard mode and sport mode.If you push the lever either up or down in the sport mode you then go into manual mode.Push the lever to the right and you are back in standard drive mode.
Okay then, the SAT has the same sport mode you describe AND and additional sport button on the console...so there!
Old 04-28-2009, 05:09 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

I have had the SAT for 1 1/2 years. It's the best automatic I've ever had. I may not go back to a manual but I'd try a DCT or SMG.

My one complaint is D mode leaves the RPMs too low and when the car hasn't warmed up, I get some low RPM hesitation. Hence I quickly go into sport mode or full manual mode. I drive in D when cruising but M mode much of the time. I use the paddles a lot and use the shifter only in the 1-2 or 2-3 shifts, especially when turning.

The SAT is even great on track. In manual and full sport mode shifts are firm, direct, and quite responsive, even going down 5-2.
On the road, I've done the Tail of the Dragon many times with it. 318 turns in 11 miles means many 2-3 and 3-2 shifts. I bet I've used the paddles 100+ times in 15 minutes, sometimes mere seconds in a gear before shifting again.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:28 PM
Senior Members

Well I'm really glad to have heard many previous manual drivers loving the SAT.
I've driven manual all my life except once when I had a Toyota Sequoia SUV ( and of course the SUV doesn't offer a manual ).

Manual - I love how you are involved in driving, shifting gears, downshifting on tight turns, and putting the gears from 6th to 4th at high revs to get that boost from the torque.

Automatic - Although 80% of the time it is boring as hell... I do appreciate it when I am stuck in traffic ( I live very close to NYC 3 miles away ) and traffic here is one of the worst.
I hated constantly pushing the clutch and switching gears from 1 to 2 then to neutral then to 1 or 2 again repeat for hours and hours.. I even had leg cramps at one time.

Now I can get the best of both worlds.. the performance of a Manual and a convienence of a auto. I hope that I feel good about the SAT as you guys are when I receive my car in June
Old 04-28-2009, 05:34 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

Originally Posted by Kzang' post='862279' date='Apr 28 2009, 09:28 PM
Manual - I love how you are involved in driving, shifting gears, downshifting on tight turns, and putting the gears from 6th to 4th at high revs to get that boost from the torque.
The SAT with paddles makes that easy. Even the 6-4 is 2 quick clicks but one downshift when in sport mode. It even throttle blips at times.
Old 05-26-2009, 03:51 PM
Senior Members

So is it true that the SAT will recognize your rev speeds and store it in its memory?
For example if you drive agressively the transmission will adjust to this style of driving and if you drive slow the transmission adjusts and saves your driving style until you reset the transmission?

Old 05-26-2009, 07:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 550 i, mystic blue, black leather, cold weather package, nav, sport, shades, bags, rear heat, V1 hardwired. 05 F350 TD Crew Cab 04 Range Rover HSE 91 964 C4 Cabrio 07 997 Turbo Cabrio

Rudy,

You are coming up on two years since the OP. What would you do different now? What would you have not gone with, and what options would you keep under any circumstances?

Curious what your thoughts are.

Thanks,

Stu

Quick Reply: Rudy's full review of the 2008 550i Sport Automatic