E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

RTTI-No Hope...

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 08:32 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530i, titanium gray, sport package, nav, active steering, sat radio, rear sunshade, rear airbags, HUD, comfort access

Originally Posted by cobradav' post='360880' date='Nov 26 2006, 07:53 PM
Underscoring its commitment to delivering industry-leading service, technology, and innovation, BMW today announced the availability of Real Time Traffic Information (RTTI). This new premium service feature will offer timely traffic information and, for the first time on any production vehicle sold in the United States, dynamic rerouting on navigation systems in select 2007 BMW models, i.e. the X5, M5, M6, and the 3, 5, and 6 Series models. Set to launch this September, RTTI represents the company's latest addition to its list of premium consumer features and benefits.

"As an independent company deeply rooted in innovation, we are extremely excited to add RTTI to our robust suite of offerings," said Alan Harris, Vice President of Aftersales for BMW of North America. "At no recurring cost to the customer, RTTI transforms the navigation system from an option that is mainly used only when customers are lost or going to an unknown destination, to a daily benefit that helps them reach their destinations more efficiently and effortlessly than ever before. We will continue to seek groundbreaking ideas, technologies and features that give drivers peace of mind and improve the daily driving experience."

Unlike other automobile manufacturers that charge a recurring monthly fee for RTTI, or require customers to pay for an additional satellite radio service, BMW has included RTTI as part of the cost of the navigation system for select 2007 BMW models. There are no activation fees or recurring monthly charges to BMW customers for 4 years.

BMW's new RTTI service will be available in as many as 44 major metropolitan markets through Clear Channel's Total Traffic Network, Clear Channel Radio's award-winning programming and technology service that delivers Real Time Traffic Information directly to vehicles over its extensive network of FM radio stations.

With the help of Clear Channel's broadcast network, customers no longer have to search for traffic reports on radio stations to be in-the-know about traffic situations. Up-to-date traffic information is compiled from a variety of sources including FM radio stations, highway-embedded sensors, video monitors on bridges and roadways, and local traffic monitoring centers. Traffic data is then streamed to a dedicated tuner in the car's radio and transferred directly to the navigation system, so customers can receive traffic updates from a variety of stations, 24 hours a day, seven days a week -- even when the radio is turned off or when the customer is listening to other entertainment sources such as a CD or iPod. The navigation system calculates the best route considering the traffic incidents and potential delays. In addition to alerting the driver to where the traffic is, if the delay is calculated to be more than 5 minutes then the navigation system will offer alternative routes around the congestion, either automatically or at the choice of the driver.

Cannot co-exist with HD radio.
Thanks for regurgitating the information already available on the web.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by wagnerian' post='360941' date='Nov 27 2006, 12:32 AM
...or on this site? http://forums.e60.net/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=332128

(sorry Iceman, I couldn't resist... )
Old 11-27-2006, 07:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by wagnerian' post='360941' date='Nov 27 2006, 12:32 AM
Apparently some do not use the web as a resource. Furthermore some may but even though may know every repost known to man, do not remember their BMW acronyms. Additionally, posting text helps people when they do search (rare I know) rather than just links. You, however, may choose to ignore the post.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:20 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi, Silver Gray, Silver interior with Anthracite Maple, Comfort Access, Comfort Seats, Navigation, HUD, PDC, CWP, Premium, Sports, Fold down rear seats

I just found out that I cannot have RTTI if you have HD Radio. My car was produced in October and it would have gotten RTTI by default if I hadn't ordered the HD radio. I'm really upset that BMW did not inform me of this fact when I ordered the car. At the time, I thought I would be getting both. I would have preferred the RTTI, but my husband really wanted the HD radio which we can't even use anyway right now while we are still in Germany. Ugh.

Can this be corrected after the fact or will I just have to live with this?

Other options we got are really worth it: comfort access, cold weather package, fold-down rear seats, sports package, navigation, premium package.

I can't see all of the Head-up display unless I put the seat up high all the way. That is too uncomfortable though and BMW dealer here says they can't adjust HUD.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530Xi - Navigation, Premium package, Steptronic.

Sounds like a fine car...and you should be having fun on the roads of Germany. As to retrofit of RTTI, I've pretty much concluded that from the point of view of hardware the system requires a separate always-on FM-RDS receiver piece in the radio/NAV system and also makes use of one of two FM antennae in the roof fin. You probably have the correct NAV disk (2007-1) to use RTTI, but lacking the receiver and the use of the antenna (which in your car is used for HD), you can't get RTTI. There seem to be a growing number of owners who have this problem, so perhaps enough unhappy owners will force BMW to deal with the issue.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:36 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi, Silver Gray, Silver interior with Anthracite Maple, Comfort Access, Comfort Seats, Navigation, HUD, PDC, CWP, Premium, Sports, Fold down rear seats

Thank you for your reply. I'll just have to live with it.

It's great fun to drive in Germany. And my new car makes it even more fun. When I came back to the States last March, I was so bored driving there. It's so slow! People stay in the left lane for ages without passing anyone. And cops are sitting everywhere by the road looking for speeders. I felt like a criminal and always on the lookout for cops. Though since everyone else was driving so slow, I was too so didn't really have to worry about a speeding ticket. Anyway, didn't mean to go off topic. Hopefully BMWNA is reading these posts and will address this issue of HD vs RTTI and full disclosure.
Old 12-06-2006, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

westie,

The HUD is adjustable -- the instructions are on this forum. It's amazing how many dealers will say it can't be adjusted until they see the printouts from this forum.

Do a search (maybe use 'adjust' and 'HUD' as your keywords) and also check the FAQ forum because I think it's there too (sorry, no time right now to search for you -- post back if you can't find anything...)

As far as the HD radio no RTTI issue, I think that's been discussed here as well. I think I remember reading recently that Clear Channel Communications (the radio signal provider for the RTTI system) will be broadcasting the traffic information over HD radio soon. Unfortunately, that doesn't automatically mean you'll be able to get it but it's possible, I suppose. (Maybe a future software upgrade on the car will add that feature if it doesn't automatically happen?)

Either way, good luck and welcome to E60.net!
Old 12-08-2006, 07:10 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='364342' date='Dec 7 2006, 02:36 AM
westie,

The HUD is adjustable -- the instructions are on this forum. It's amazing how many dealers will say it can't be adjusted until they see the printouts from this forum.

Do a search (maybe use 'adjust' and 'HUD' as your keywords) and also check the FAQ forum because I think it's there too (sorry, no time right now to search for you -- post back if you can't find anything...)

As far as the HD radio no RTTI issue, I think that's been discussed here as well. I think I remember reading recently that Clear Channel Communications (the radio signal provider for the RTTI system) will be broadcasting the traffic information over HD radio soon. Unfortunately, that doesn't automatically mean you'll be able to get it but it's possible, I suppose. (Maybe a future software upgrade on the car will add that feature if it doesn't automatically happen?)

Either way, good luck and welcome to E60.net!
Thanks Rudy.
I searched and then I printed out the pdf files you posted previously on this topic. I'm going to present these to the dealer here in Germany and say YES it can be done. Also, that would be great if they could broadcast over HD radio. I can see that you are a big help in this forum. I liked your old avatar with the bright smile, but the old lady is funny too. Have a good day!