E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

RPM seeking and shuddering - please help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 04:49 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2006 530 that I bought at Global Imports in Atlanta, Georgia. The car has about 12,000 miles but this problem has existed since the car was new. The problem is that the RPMS seek constantly between about 450-600 when the car is idle (in other words, the needle constantly goes up and down right around the 500 mark). This happens when the car is in gear but not moving, such as at a stop light. When the RPMs dip below 500, the car shudders. It does not feel like it is going to stall, although the shuddering is noticeable and happens repeatedly.

I have taken the car to Global 3 times to check out this issue, and they have alternately told me that 1) they could not duplicate the situation; 2) they could duplicate the situation but it was not a problem. The closest I have gotten to a straight answer out of Global is that the seeking is caused by the A/C variable speed compressor, which always is switching on and off, which in turn puts a drag on the engine. I have taken the car to United and they have said that they see the seeking but there is no way of fixing it and it is within spec for the vehicle.

Can somebody tell me whether this is normal behavior or whether there is some workaround such as a software upgrade or some way to increase the idle RPM, which would probably solve the problem?
Old 01-20-2007, 05:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 535d Apr 05. UK spec + Media Pack, Luxury Pack & Visibility Pack

It's not normal or acceptable; <600 rpm for idling on an I6 is too low anyway. Idle speed can be programmed into the ECU by a competent dealer (seems to be in short supply in your area), and it can even be programmed to go higher when major consumers (e.g. a/c compressor) are connected.

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=33051&st=15#

The other option - but it generally should not happen on a new-ish car - is that the ICV is dirty or stuck (or that the crankcase ventilation valve is blocked). Have you checked if this hunting only happens when you have a/c on?
Old 01-20-2007, 06:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Originally Posted by factus8' post='380980' date='Jan 20 2007, 02:49 PM
This happens when the car is in gear but not moving, such as at a stop light.

It's not normal that it "seeks" continuously. A/C is related - but not in the way you explain it, A/C would not switch on and off so often...

I take it it's a manual ? Isn't there an electronic message sent in manuals; that when the clutch is depressed the rpm goes a liitle higher ( to assist takeoff), could it that this is playing up..?
Old 01-20-2007, 08:24 AM
Members

Originally Posted by andy545' post='380993' date='Jan 20 2007, 10:04 AM
I take it it's a manual ? Isn't there an electronic message sent in manuals; that when the clutch is depressed the rpm goes a liitle higher ( to assist takeoff), could it that this is playing up..?
Nope, it's an automatic.

The situation usually occurs when the car is in gear and my foot is on the brake. I usually notice it when I am sitting at a stop light waiting for the light to change.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:25 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by factus8' post='380980' date='Jan 20 2007, 08:49 AM
I have a 2006 530 that I bought at Global Imports in Atlanta, Georgia. The car has about 12,000 miles but this problem has existed since the car was new. The problem is that the RPMS seek constantly between about 450-600 when the car is idle (in other words, the needle constantly goes up and down right around the 500 mark). This happens when the car is in gear but not moving, such as at a stop light. When the RPMs dip below 500, the car shudders. It does not feel like it is going to stall, although the shuddering is noticeable and happens repeatedly.

I have taken the car to Global 3 times to check out this issue, and they have alternately told me that 1) they could not duplicate the situation; 2) they could duplicate the situation but it was not a problem. The closest I have gotten to a straight answer out of Global is that the seeking is caused by the A/C variable speed compressor, which always is switching on and off, which in turn puts a drag on the engine. I have taken the car to United and they have said that they see the seeking but there is no way of fixing it and it is within spec for the vehicle.

Can somebody tell me whether this is normal behavior or whether there is some workaround such as a software upgrade or some way to increase the idle RPM, which would probably solve the problem?
I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. I've passed this message on to a BMW NA Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch with you soon.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

There you go my friend...BMWUSA to the rescue... They must know the problems some members are having with there dealers, for them to be scanning the forums. I guess these more than one way to solve internal issues...
Old 01-26-2007, 04:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: First Vehicle: 2004 545I, Silver Gray Metallic Exterior with Gray Interior & Poplar Wood Trim, Steptronic, Active Steering, Sports Suspension w/Dynamic Drive, Logic 7, Heads-up Display, Voice Input, 6 Disc CD Changer in Glove Box, Xenon Adaptive Headlights, Comfort Seats, Fold-down Rear Seats, Professional Navigation System, Winter Package with Heated Steering Wheel and Rear Heated Seats, Rear Side Airbags, Powered Sunblind for Rear Window, Manual Rear Side Sunblinds, Universal Remote Control, Interior/Exterior Anti-dazzle Mirrors, Satellite Tuner Prep, Passport SR-1 Remote Radar Detector, Aux Stereo Input, Wood shift knob, XM Radio Second Vehicle: 2004 X5 4.8IS

I have an 04 545 that had the same problem. Took it to the dealer 3 times before it was fixed. First they said it was some oxyen sensor, then some flywheel timing sensor. finally, they said it was the main computer. Once they replaced the computer and reprogramed with the latest rev, it's been perfect. Holds 500 rpm like it was glued in place. also, I've notice a significant improvement in overall driveability and power.

Just sorry I waited so long to insist on it being fixed correctly.