E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Royal Purple?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 03:07 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by salaki' post='758115' date='Jan 2 2009, 11:19 PM
I have also been using Shell Rotella T 5w-40 on my current and previous vehicles.
This is the first time I'm running Shell Rotella T on the 545.

Shell Rotella T has a very good review in motorcycle world (I use it on my Triumph Speed Triple) and also Subaru EJ25 (STi) world and it has a very good price point for a good quality synthetic.

Any feedback on Rotella T on your Bimmer? Praise/complaints?

I understand that this oil is a "diesel" grade oil and I'm still wondering whether it has any effect on our car.
I'm hoping because it is a diesel grade oil it is more resistant to breakdown, and my wee e60 won't stress it like a big diesel motor would. I have no feedback per se. I'm changing oil/filter at 7500 miles, and notice upon startup the motor is quieter after the change. I'd assume that a 7.5K interval is not unreasonable for a quality oil.

IIRC, my Multistrada calls for Rotella, can't recall what I run in it right now. I run motorcycle specific oil in my motos exclusively... call me anal.

Barry
Old 01-03-2009, 06:31 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Originally Posted by ktlocklear' post='757423' date='Jan 1 2009, 08:13 PM
I emailed Royal Purple and asked them about the "BMW LL98 / 01"....hoop-la, and this is what they responded with.

"Keith,

The BMW spec they are suggesting are oils that have paid a licensing fee to BMW to display that approval. Typically this is an oil manufactured in Europe and imported to the US driving the cost up without any performance advantages over the US Manufactured oils that have not agreed to pay a licensing fee to BMW. This is a fundamental difference in the way oils are approved - in the US - there is a general spec agreed upon by the OEM's while in Europe, each manufacturer sets there own specification - such as VW, Mercedes Benz, Porsche, BMW, Opel, Fiat, and Renault - each setting their own approval standards.

We recommend using either the RP 5W30 for your BMW 4.8L V8 32 valve engine - this takes 8.5 quarts.
This meets and exceeds the performance levels of the BMW LL98 / 01 specifications although we can not list these on the packaging as we have not paid the licensing fees to do so.

Thanks for the email and choosing to use RP.

David

Royal Purple Inc
David Canitz
1 Royal Purple Lane
Porter, TX 77365
281.354.7600 fax
713.725,7207 cell
dcanitz@royalpurple.com"

Anyway....I'll probably give it a try as my "in-between service" oil changes, since I've good luck with the brand in the past....and it's not really anymore expensive than Mobil or BMW oil.....plus it's avail at your local Advanced Auto, Schucks, Kragen, and Checkers stores...... http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail....artNumber=01530

+1 I would have to agree with that statement somewhat. Honestly I think oil is oil provided you are using full synthetic and the proper viscosity for the season I really dont think its about the brand. Just like gas, oil is about marketing and relationships with certain manufactures. Obviously since BMW recommends Castrol, aside from the marketing gimmick involved here they probably test all of there vehicles using Castrol, so Im sure that also has alot to do with the marketing aspect as well.

Really oil is about brand loyalty, just like gas. I say go with what your comfortable with, I dont think BMW's recommendation is as important as making sure you are using the right type of oil and the proper viscosity.

Stick with what you know and trust.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:21 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by DD_545i' post='756725' date='Dec 31 2008, 04:04 PM
I live near the BMW oil-fields in Bavaria where they make their oil. Quite a sight to behold. I have some pics I took at the very beginning of April around here somewhere.

LMAO

good reply from RP
just like only certain tyre companys are approved by BMW...nothing to do with how good they are...just how much they have paid for the privilige of BMW recomending them.

marketing...its a wonderfull thing...