E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Routine Maintenance Brake Flush - Brakes keep going soft

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 07:44 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 Titanium Grey 530I, Comfort Seats, PDC, HUD, Rear Window Shades

This is an interesting one. I took my 2006 530 in to have a seat pad sensor replaced in my comfort seats and while having that replaced they performed the routine maintenance brake fluid flush. When I picked up the car there were crackers on the floor and grease all over the seat that they worked on. No problem as I am not one to really complain but its still a bit unprofessional. So I drive the car off the lot and and the brakes nearly went to the floor. I immediately took the car back and and explained the situation to the tech. They explained to me that this is extremely unusual becasue the flush is performed by a machine and that there is really no way air could get into the lines. An hour later I get the car back and the brakes are working good.

Over the next two days the brakes progressively become soft again, as if there is air in the brake lines. Definitely not BMW brakes! I take the car back and they perform the same routine again. I pick the car back up in the afternoon, brakes are fine. I didnt drive the car for 3 days and then yesterday the brakes are soft again. All of this has happened over a week and a half period. Lots of pick ups and drop offs and unfortunately no courtesy car as this is just a BMW service center. Again, not complaining just want it fixed.

So hear I am, I dropped off the car yesterday for the third time and they tell me that they are going to look into it and give me a call. I get a call late in the afternoon and they tell me they are going to rent me a car I asked what they found out and they explained nothing yet as they were not able to get a tech to look at it. I have a friend drop me back off and they explain that they are going to bleed the brakes and then test drive it to see if it goes soft. I explained that we have done that 3 times now, obviosly something is very wrong. They said well we want to see it happen and will keep it for a few days to see if it happens again. Ok... so now I am off with my Chrysler Sebring rental.

I am extremely concerned that the brakes will never be right with my car again. I am also frustrated with the fact that I take the car in for a seat pad sensor and come out with a major brake problem, that they caused. The Service Advisors have been respectful and I have treated them the same.

Has anyone else experienced a problem such as this?
Old 03-27-2007, 12:01 PM
Senior Members

Sorry to read about your story, the brakes on my '04 E60 is one of the things I really like and I'm proud of in my car.

Now while reading your post I noticed: "Routine maintenance brake fluid flush" in a 2006 530i? Your model year seems awfully recent to have this done, this is recommended at or after two years (At least that is my understanding) and there is no mileage requirement. I have not had this done in my car yet and I just checked and iDrive says that it is due 02/08.
I hope they manage to fix those.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:23 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2013 M5 - Sakhir Orange / Black Leather.

Originally Posted by Stevefsu' post='407570' date='Mar 27 2007, 11:44 AM
This is an interesting one. I took my 2006 530 in to have a seat pad sensor replaced in my comfort seats and while having that replaced they performed the routine maintenance brake fluid flush. When I picked up the car there were crackers on the floor and grease all over the seat that they worked on. No problem as I am not one to really complain but its still a bit unprofessional. So I drive the car off the lot and and the brakes nearly went to the floor. I immediately took the car back and and explained the situation to the tech. They explained to me that this is extremely unusual becasue the flush is performed by a machine and that there is really no way air could get into the lines. An hour later I get the car back and the brakes are working good.

Over the next two days the brakes progressively become soft again, as if there is air in the brake lines. Definitely not BMW brakes! I take the car back and they perform the same routine again. I pick the car back up in the afternoon, brakes are fine. I didnt drive the car for 3 days and then yesterday the brakes are soft again. All of this has happened over a week and a half period. Lots of pick ups and drop offs and unfortunately no courtesy car as this is just a BMW service center. Again, not complaining just want it fixed.

So hear I am, I dropped off the car yesterday for the third time and they tell me that they are going to look into it and give me a call. I get a call late in the afternoon and they tell me they are going to rent me a car I asked what they found out and they explained nothing yet as they were not able to get a tech to look at it. I have a friend drop me back off and they explain that they are going to bleed the brakes and then test drive it to see if it goes soft. I explained that we have done that 3 times now, obviosly something is very wrong. They said well we want to see it happen and will keep it for a few days to see if it happens again. Ok... so now I am off with my Chrysler Sebring rental.

I am extremely concerned that the brakes will never be right with my car again. I am also frustrated with the fact that I take the car in for a seat pad sensor and come out with a major brake problem, that they caused. The Service Advisors have been respectful and I have treated them the same.

Has anyone else experienced a problem such as this?
Can you tell if you are losing any brake fluid? The master cylinder filler is "hidden" under the micro filter box, I think. I'm just wondering if you have a fluid leak somewhere.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Your story, Stevefsu, is unbeliable!

I like to know what BMW Service is pulling your leg with brake issues?
What can be important than the brakes!

Did have a change of the brake fluids a month ago or so, without any problems.
Maybe they did forget to reprogam the car as they did with my change of an
AC regulator.

Do not take a "no" or "we do not know" for an answer!
Old 03-27-2007, 02:22 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What on earth have they done? I did my fluid change on my 06 as part of the anual fluid change. No problem.

Let's say someone can accept the first mistake. We are all humans after all. But three times. Not to mention the liability they have if you got involved in an accident.

Since you have the car at the dealer you have no option other than wait to see the results. If the same thing happens again, take the car to another dealer and call BMWNA.

As a matter of fact I would have taken my car to another dealer from now on. If they cannot get right something as simple as the brake fluid change how would you trust them for something more complicated?

Good luck.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by E60M5E60' post='407713' date='Mar 27 2007, 02:22 PM
What on earth have they done? I did my fluid change on my 06 as part of the anual fluid change. No problem.

Annual? it should be every 2 years...

I got mine flushed and no problems too... hope you get it resolved...
Old 03-28-2007, 06:06 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 Titanium Grey 530I, Comfort Seats, PDC, HUD, Rear Window Shades

Thanks for all of your support with this guys! Here is the latest: They have ordered a new master cylinder for the car and their guess is that one of the seals has gone bad within the sealed unit. There is no break fluid leaking anywhere yet the pedal keeps going soft.

My guess is that they are right. The problem that I have with this is that there was nothing wrong with thhe brakes when I took it in initially. If I had to guess, when they hooked it up to the machine to do the flush they overfilled the brake fluid or completely did something wrong which in turn blew out the master cylinder.

I will keep everyone posted as I hope no one else has to go through this. One of the great things about the e60 is the brakes and the ability to stop quickly even at high speeds. It is not fun driving when you have to question whether your brakes are there. I am told that the master cylinder should be in within 3 days. I told my SA that I am concerned that my Chrysler Sebring rental car is going to fall apart around me in 3 days. He laughed and said let it fall apart and I will get you another. Well at least I can laugh about it.

On a seperate note I too questioned why they would be flushing the brakes on a 1 yr old car. They simply said that it is part of their maintenance plan and my car was due.

Old 03-28-2007, 06:33 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Stevefsu' post='407949' date='Mar 28 2007, 09:06 AM
Thanks for all of your support with this guys! Here is the latest: They have ordered a new master cylinder for the car and their guess is that one of the seals has gone bad within the sealed unit. There is no break fluid leaking anywhere yet the pedal keeps going soft.

My guess is that they are right. The problem that I have with this is that there was nothing wrong with thhe brakes when I took it in initially. If I had to guess, when they hooked it up to the machine to do the flush they overfilled the brake fluid or completely did something wrong which in turn blew out the master cylinder.

I will keep everyone posted as I hope no one else has to go through this. One of the great things about the e60 is the brakes and the ability to stop quickly even at high speeds. It is not fun driving when you have to question whether your brakes are there. I am told that the master cylinder should be in within 3 days. I told my SA that I am concerned that my Chrysler Sebring rental car is going to fall apart around me in 3 days. He laughed and said let it fall apart and I will get you another. Well at least I can laugh about it.

On a seperate note I too questioned why they would be flushing the brakes on a 1 yr old car. They simply said that it is part of their maintenance plan and my car was due.

Stevefsu,
Eventhough your e60 is an 06 model it could have been built in early 05 which justifies the brake fluid flush every 2 yrs as per BMW's maintenance plan.

Now for the master cylinder; let's hope your car had a defective one and just happen to fail during the flush. I don't believe the master cylinder could have failed because of the bleeding machine. They usually fail either from age (seal material ages) or from the use of the wrong fluid (seals become soft). In any case you're glad it was found now and not during a trip on the highway.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:30 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2013 M5 - Sakhir Orange / Black Leather.

Originally Posted by E60M5E60' post='407962' date='Mar 28 2007, 10:33 AM
Stevefsu,
Eventhough your e60 is an 06 model it could have been built in early 05 which justifies the brake fluid flush every 2 yrs as per BMW's maintenance plan.

Now for the master cylinder; let's hope your car had a defective one and just happen to fail during the flush. I don't believe the master cylinder could have failed because of the bleeding machine. They usually fail either from age (seal material ages) or from the use of the wrong fluid (seals become soft). In any case you're glad it was found now and not during a trip on the highway.
He's right, the clock starts ticking on the brake fluid from the build date, not the in service date. Makes sense because the fluid starts to absorb water immediately.

As far as the master cylinder, a seal may have blown if the tech over pressurized the system. I have a pressure bleeder with a manual pump. I think the BMW shops hook theirs up to their compressor. Easy to see how a lazy tech could over pressurize the system and create problems. It never fails to amaze me how many ways the "factory trained technicians" can screw things up. See my seperate thread regarding my run in with them when they put the wrong oil filter into my 550 (the filter on a 550 IS different from a 545). Idiots.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:16 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pa550' post='407987' date='Mar 28 2007, 10:30 AM
See my seperate thread regarding my run in with them when they put the wrong oil filter into my 550 (the filter on a 550 IS different from a 545). Idiots.
Let's start a master list of those technicians so we don't allow them to touch our cars.

Quick Reply: Routine Maintenance Brake Flush - Brakes keep going soft