E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Rough vibrating on stop.

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 05:31 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Stock '07 530xi
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by Valveguy
I would be interested in knowing that the fan is or is not the issue.

I have a 2006 530I, which I just purchased about two months ago with 65,000 miles.

I have a similar vibration. It occurs at the stoplight. The rpm drops to 550-600 then vibration occurs. Then the RPM goes up slightly to approximately 650 to 700 and then it clears up. .The rpm then drops a little bit and the vibration occurs again. So it’s kind of cyclic.

so far I have removed and cleaned the throttlebody, as well as the MAF. There has been some improvement. It’s still occurs, but the vibration seems to have reduced slightly. Could be hopeful imagination.

Generally does not occur when the vehicle is cold. Only after it is warmed up. I have a Schwaben scanner which I bought from ECS a while back. I put it on it and there are no codes at all.

I really think if I could adjust the idle to 700, the problem would go away completely. Is there way to do that?

Thanks,
I haven't noticed a change in RPM when idling and the vibration occurs. I just notice the vibration as it's there sometimes. I can't tell any change in the car aside from the vibration. I haven't had the chance to check for the fan but I'll do that when I can.
Old 11-25-2017, 04:24 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2006 525i
Model Year: 206

My e60 n52 has similar issue and that's why I asked about the rpm.

I noticed the car may vibrate at times during the stop but it's not as severe like a bad engine mount (fyi I replaced both engine and granny mount). Next I see normal idle rpm is around 800 and then no vibration at all. It only shakes with rpm dropping to 600ish level. This happens at cold start on on a very hot day which is quite confusing. Then my guess is Possible vacuum leak or issue with MAF sensor/connector. I am chasing down the issue with new vacuum hose arrived and to be replaced. New MAF sensor and connector is on the way since they are reaching their age any.

My only problem now is that car is still eating oil like 2 quartz for every 5000 miles
Old 11-27-2017, 09:56 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 530i Lt. Olive, Leather, Navigation, Steptronic,

Originally Posted by richie281vn
My e60 n52 has similar issue and that's why I asked about the rpm.

I noticed the car may vibrate at times during the stop but it's not as severe like a bad engine mount (fyi I replaced both engine and granny mount). Next I see normal idle rpm is around 800 and then no vibration at all. It only shakes with rpm dropping to 600ish level. This happens at cold start on on a very hot day which is quite confusing. Then my guess is Possible vacuum leak or issue with MAF sensor/connector. I am chasing down the issue with new vacuum hose arrived and to be replaced. New MAF sensor and connector is on the way since they are reaching their age any.

My only problem now is that car is still eating oil like 2 quartz for every 5000 miles
After doing some additional searching on this site, I came across a post indicating that low power steering fluid level could be the the source of my rough idle. Low (no pun intended) and behold---my power steering fluid level was low!
Not extremely low---but definitely below the minimum level..
I suctioned what I could out of the reservoirand refilled, I then started the car, ran for a while, and turned the steerting wheel from lock to lock. Stopped the engine, then suctioned and refilled again.
Vibration at idle gone!

As for your high oil usage, I suspect you have issues with the oil separator, and/or the hoses that are a part of the oil separator system. That would account for the bad idle (vacuum leak) and the oil consumption.
Replacing the oil separator and hoses is will require removal of the intake unfortunately. I plan to do that to my car---I bought the parts--about ($280.00 for E Euro)--but I will now probably wait until Spring to change them.
Old 11-28-2017, 02:25 AM
New Members

I will check on the PS fluid but I recently replaced the pump and refilled the fluid so I dont think it is the culprit.

I am chasing down the rough idle with new MAF and connector to see if it help.

For the oil comsuption, i replaced the oil seperator twice and all the pipes connecting to its. I also replaced all the gasket and even the valve stem seal but the situation remains.:-(
Old 11-28-2017, 10:19 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Have you looked for any codes?
Old 11-29-2017, 12:05 AM
New Members

It has 2A2E and 2A2F code with fuel pump error showing up intermittently. I already replaced the Bosch fuel pump a few months back though