E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rough idle at operating temp.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 04:54 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 545I M sport suspension Active Steering M sport interior Navi Low ride sports

i have an 04 545. recently when ive started the car it runs fine. after the engine warms up and fast idle has slowed down, the car seems to have a rough idle like a small detected misfire. although no warning lights on the dash or idrive messages. also i hear like a small knocking noise. sounds like a detonation knock as if you put the wrong grade of gas in. the car has been stored for the past 4 months and counting. so it could be that the gas in the car is very old and lost its octane level. causing the detonation knock. but when the car is on fast idle warming up. it runs great. once its reached operating temp. and idles at about 500 rpms it starts the rough idle. anyone experience this before or have any thoughts towards my situation. thnx in advance

p.s. it has 127 000 kilometers on it. so about 73k miles

regards,

Roger
Old 03-28-2010, 06:47 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Black Graphite Metallic|Black Options:Sport Package|Premium|Cold Weather|6speed |Logic 7|Active Steering

Hope it isn't piston noise.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:35 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bmwroger1
i have an 04 545. recently when ive started the car it runs fine. after the engine warms up and fast idle has slowed down, the car seems to have a rough idle like a small detected misfire. although no warning lights on the dash or idrive messages. also i hear like a small knocking noise. sounds like a detonation knock as if you put the wrong grade of gas in. the car has been stored for the past 4 months and counting. so it could be that the gas in the car is very old and lost its octane level. causing the detonation knock. but when the car is on fast idle warming up. it runs great. once its reached operating temp. and idles at about 500 rpms it starts the rough idle. anyone experience this before or have any thoughts towards my situation. thnx in advance

p.s. it has 127 000 kilometers on it. so about 73k miles

regards,

Roger

i have similar problem with misfires and rough idle. but my noise isnt loud at all... im running the diagnostics this weekend and will see what errors show for the engine.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:37 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport 6MT

Have you changed the spark plugs? If not, start with that.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:16 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 05545i

im at 50,000 miles now so im definitely changing them.. so hopefully that will add some improvement.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with Sport Pkg, Nav, HUD, Cold Weather Pkg, Rear Shades

I have the same issue as well, and can't seem to reproduce it.

On frequent occasions, after the car has been driven for a while (stop and go traffic; more than 10 miles), shut-off the engine, restart a few mins later and the car shakes pretty badly, with the tach just going wild - swings between 500 to 1500. Doesn't seem to happen all the time though. Couple weeks ago it also stalled twice on the restart.

Taking the car in to have it checked next week. The SIB for lifters states rough idle on cold start. Not sure if it will apply here, since cols starts are fine.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:14 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JStraw
I have the same issue as well, and can't seem to reproduce it.

On frequent occasions, after the car has been driven for a while (stop and go traffic; more than 10 miles), shut-off the engine, restart a few mins later and the car shakes pretty badly, with the tach just going wild - swings between 500 to 1500. Doesn't seem to happen all the time though. Couple weeks ago it also stalled twice on the restart.

Taking the car in to have it checked next week. The SIB for lifters states rough idle on cold start. Not sure if it will apply here, since cols starts are fine.

let us know what they say.. thanks in advance
Old 04-02-2010, 04:05 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545I M sport suspension Active Steering M sport interior Navi Low ride sports

it is not loud at all. just like a little misfire. as the above member stated. it happens once and a while. there is a service bulletin that says there was a recall for e60's manufactured from early 04 to middle of 04 stating that the valve height was adjusted incorrectly from the manufacturer. this will cause rough idle and on occasions will cause stalling and loss of power on acceleration/delayed response.im thinking that this could be the problem. it doesnt happen all the time, but has been happening more lately. maybe because it has been sitting for quite some time and the octane has decreased. causing more obvious rough idle. i will be taking it out of storage this week. and plan on changing the oil and takin it for a long drive to burn some of that gas. and i'll go from there. cheers

Roger
Old 04-02-2010, 04:08 PM
Members

Originally Posted by 05545i
i have just recently changed the plugs and also performed a terra clean injector service. that helped a little but still seem to have there on occasions. if it persists i going take it in to the dealer
Old 04-02-2010, 04:12 PM
Members

Originally Posted by flint
Hope it isn't piston noise.
i highly doubt that is the case here cause it only happens on idle when the car is running at higher rpms it runs smooth like a wissle. im starting to think that the rpms on idle are to low for the car causing this shuttering. i think it was set wrong from the factory. it seems like it should idle slightly higher.. so instead of about 500 rpms it seems to runs better at 600 rpms or 650 rpms.

Quick Reply: rough idle at operating temp.