E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Rough idle on 545i, dealership hasn't helped. Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 10:24 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey,

What do you mean by oil in the intake how much, did you inspect it?

Actually I took off the throtle body and it was rather dirty on the inner side of the butterfly valve. There was also some oil on it.
I cleaned it and put it back and after around 1k miles i checked it again and there was again a thin layer of oil-dirt on it.

My mechanic friend drives a 745i roguly the same milage. His throttle body was also dirty and a bit oily.
I asked him about the issue and he told me that in some operating conditions, the exhaust and intake valve are both slightly opened.
So intake valve already opens before exhaust valve has fully closed. This causes the dirt and oil in the intake.

blackonblack
Maybe you could take of the throttle body, clean it, drive 1k m and make a picture of the inside part of the butterfly, than i could compare it to mine.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:11 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Orient blue '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, 6Speed MT, Xenon, Navi, Blue2th, PDC,

Originally Posted by blackonblack
"Intake pressure sensor fault stored, lead to a faulty sensor. Reading not changing."

"Found oil in the intake and sensor probably from leaking crankcase valve. Crankcase vacuum/pressure OK now. Test plan advised a new sensor"
Did you change that sensor? If it is bad that would cause the intake pressure adjuster to go crazy.

Differential pressure sensor 1 13627585278

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...77&hg=11&fg=40

Not sure why the price is not listed.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:04 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by Mako
Hey,

What do you mean by oil in the intake how much, did you inspect it?

Actually I took off the throtle body and it was rather dirty on the inner side of the butterfly valve. There was also some oil on it.
I cleaned it and put it back and after around 1k miles i checked it again and there was again a thin layer of oil-dirt on it.

My mechanic friend drives a 745i roguly the same milage. His throttle body was also dirty and a bit oily.
I asked him about the issue and he told me that in some operating conditions, the exhaust and intake valve are both slightly opened.
So intake valve already opens before exhaust valve has fully closed. This causes the dirt and oil in the intake.

blackonblack
Maybe you could take of the throttle body, clean it, drive 1k m and make a picture of the inside part of the butterfly, than i could compare it to mine.
the crankcase vapors are rerouted into the intake, so oil mist can come from there also.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:46 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i | Black Sapphire | Black Nasca Leather | Sport Package | Heads Up Display | Navigation | Lane Departure Warning | Electric Rear Sunshade | Logic 7 Sound System | USB audio | Heated Rear Seats | Ventilated Seats | Picked up: February 25, 2008

I'm no expert but I had rough idles on my 535i and it was the HPFP to be blamed. Could that be the case?
Old 04-24-2011, 02:46 AM
Senior Members

Catalytic converters are covered by a 10yr warranty right....any emissions stuff is.. I also say 02 sensor btw.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:21 PM
Members

My Ride: Orient blue '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, 6Speed MT, Xenon, Navi, Blue2th, PDC,

Originally Posted by sy1616
Catalytic converters are covered by a 10yr warranty right....any emissions stuff is.. I also say 02 sensor btw.
I don't think that the warranty covers catalytic converters damaged by oil leak.

I still think that they are OK. First the oil leak problem needs to be resolved.

I would start with the pressure sensor.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:08 PM
Senior Members

Not sure how oil can get stuck in convertor, as flashpoint of oil is about 1000 degrees lower than operating temp of convertor.

1. If convertor was seriously clogged, you would lose power while driving car. ( Max speed would significantly drop off.)

2. Identify and write down error codes.

3. Have you check Mass air flow sensor (or BMW's equivalent)?

4. Check for cracked vacuum line. Normally a vacuum line will make the miss occur consistently. It could be a vacuum line that is vibrating a small crack in it. (BTW, not very likely, but....)

5. If miss gets worse under load (a/c and accelerating up hills), check coils.

6. Do you see or hear any spark jumping/grounding from ignition at night?
Old 04-25-2011, 04:27 PM
Banned

My Ride: A Car

vacuum hoses. ANd yes, we have seen MANY alternators cause that too.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:35 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i

I cleaned the MAF sensor and the throttle body, now the RPM fluctuates a little bit less, but it idles a lot higher. It is currently idling at around 1,200 RPM.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:53 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by blackonblack
I cleaned the MAF sensor and the throttle body, now the RPM fluctuates a little bit less, but it idles a lot higher. It is currently idling at around 1,200 RPM.
the maf sensor must have been dirty..... is sensing the air flow different now.
the engine computer should readjust the idle automaticaly as you run the car.

Quick Reply: Rough idle on 545i, dealership hasn't helped. Please help!