E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

rough idle

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 05:50 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05 545/6

+1 on the alternator. Check it with an oscilloscope. Most auto parts stores will do this. If it's bad the oscilloscope will show it. Measuring voltage with a voltmeter isn't enough.

I found a brand new replacement (not reman) for 309 shipped on ebay:

brand new valeo 545 alternator

that's less than half the dealer price for a reman!

The N62 does have a DISA, btw- it's on the back of the intake manifold. Just sayin', but I haven't touched it and my idle went back to smooth after I replaced the alternator. again.

#2 on this diagram
Old 03-04-2011, 11:58 AM
Members

it seems that we are having a family reunion on this thread that I started for some information. Go hijack another thread if you want to catch up on old times and go tit for tat with each other. to the folks that actually stayed on point here and gave me some info, thank you. I replaced the alternator last year for an unrelated issue. it does occur while driving only at idle, and it doesn't use that DISA valve as it is an N62 motor, MAF has been cleaned and plugs were replaced with Bosch platinums
Old 03-05-2011, 07:28 AM
Members

Originally Posted by 545felix
The N62 does have a DISA, btw- it's on the back of the intake manifold. Just sayin', but I haven't touched it and my idle went back to smooth after I replaced the alternator. again.

#2 on this diagram
The part you pulled up on Realoem is called a Drive unit/motor and appears to be a electronic motor with a gear on the end that slides into the rear of the 62's intake manifold. It probably controls a valve located/or fixed inside the intake manifold thats does the same thing the DISA does(or more) but its totaly different from the DISA Valve we talking about here and i don't see anything reffering it as a DISA Valve. I believe all naturally aspirated BMW motors have a valve to shorten the intake runners for low-end power.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:43 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 530i

Thanks Loni313 I did suggest that (disa) in another post before he posted back with pics was not trying to steal his thunder just offering my knowledge that I have learned over the years of this board and experience, I even put a disclaimer in my post saying that he probably would have found it without my post and he still shot me down. I don't post much unless I have good concreate evideance, as you can see I am a founding member here with a low amount of post, because I take in more than I put out, but you can always find me here thanks again for the backing
Old 03-06-2011, 04:57 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545i sport
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by Loni313
The part you pulled up on Realoem is called a Drive unit/motor and appears to be a electronic motor with a gear on the end that slides into the rear of the 62's intake manifold. It probably controls a valve located/or fixed inside the intake manifold thats does the same thing the DISA does(or more) but its totaly different from the DISA Valve we talking about here and i don't see anything reffering it as a DISA Valve. I believe all naturally aspirated BMW motors have a valve to shorten the intake runners for low-end power.
+1. reference part #2 is NOT a DISA valve and is indeed the stepper motor to control the infinately adjustable intake runner length.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:31 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Old 03-06-2011, 06:39 PM
Senior Members

Old 03-06-2011, 06:44 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Loni313
You had your own thread about a poor idle. On it you list a bunch of parts of things you've checked and DIS logs you've monitored. None of which mention the DISA until someone recommends that you take a look at it and then you come back with pics of your broken valve telling the person who suggested it to you that you had already known about the valve so there wasn't a reason to thank you. Really? When you started the post you forgot to mention your busted DISA valve but you were still wondering why your car was running rough? Then you go on to say that your not going to replace it with a new unit because it will just fail again. Well my DISA valve is original and has 120k miles on it and it's still hasn't broke. Now your Mr. DISA expert and you come and tell a guy to check his DISA valve when he doesn't even freaking have one lololol

Ok I'm done, I won't bust your balls anymore
Are you being serious? I found my issue long before I even read that post or perhaps I would have given credit where it was due. I found my issue, nothing more or less but the question is... where were you? I did not know the IMAU was the issue. You didn't have anything to say. I am no DISA expert and never said I was. Also did not notice the person's car was a V8...but never the less doesn't matter much. Going around reading my posts isn't going to help you out. Making up stories won't help either. According to the dealer it is a common break part so I made the decision to repair. I just read his symptom and told him to check something....if he doesn't have there should be an equivalent mechanical part for his specific vehicle. Take it how you want but I would assume that everyone here is capable of searching with the correct push. Of course that's how we all learn new things is it not?

Bottom line is this: Just because I did not post something and the date/timestamps doesn't match up doesn't mean that I'm a liar or that I do not want to give credit where it's due or what not. I mean with this logic there's no wonder this whole world is reading from different copies and translations of the same book believing in certain things and following people that do things or make things up based off of the same distorted logic. Unbelievable. Should I show you proof of the date/time that I took pics? Would that suffice for you? Will I then be truthful and have more integrity by your standards?

Honestly I don't even know what a DISA is or stands for off the top of my head. However I just used it above in a sentence. Why? because you used it and you seem to be referring to the part I had an issue with so I would ASSUME that's the adjuster unit.

Proof of ALL this was the fact that I posted an M54 pic and stated about M54 engines. Obviously that poster doesn't even have an M54... but you failed to overlook this and went straight into NOT pointing that out. But then again i could have said "oh a v8? doesn't that have to air filters and two MAFS?"

You are probably not able to use enough logic to figure all this out. You' appear to be a mechanical mind not one capable of logic. How can I say this? Because you haven't figured it out thus far.

You're something else. Take care brother.

Originally Posted by buddy
Thanks Loni313 I did suggest that (disa) in another post before he posted back with pics was not trying to steal his thunder just offering my knowledge that I have learned over the years of this board and experience, I even put a disclaimer in my post saying that he probably would have found it without my post and he still shot me down. I don't post much unless I have good concreate evideance, as you can see I am a founding member here with a low amount of post, because I take in more than I put out, but you can always find me here thanks again for the backing
I'll assume this "he" was referring to me? I can only assume since I do not see Loni313's other post. I'll also assume it was a private post. Hmm wonder why that is? Again, thanks for the suggestions. If it had made its way to me sooner I would have given you the credit prior to even checking that part. However the idea sparked in my own mind and not from anything that you had suggested. Surely one can see that I wasn't active from the times I posted certain things that I was not on the site. However, thanks again for the suggestion. I was joking with you in my post but I see that you probably didn't take it as a joke and have sided with master mechanic. Would you agree that it's a common failure part at least?
Originally Posted by pauliehcfr
it seems that we are having a family reunion on this thread that I started for some information. Go hijack another thread if you want to catch up on old times and go tit for tat with each other. to the folks that actually stayed on point here and gave me some info, thank you. I replaced the alternator last year for an unrelated issue. it does occur while driving only at idle, and it doesn't use that DISA valve as it is an N62 motor, MAF has been cleaned and plugs were replaced with Bosch platinums
Wasn't trying to steal your thread just offer a suggestion bro. Sorry if it went South. In all honesty I don't know the member and just recently started seeing him post. See Felix's response, he's a good brother with good knowledge to offer. It's worth checking out. You did say you had an N62 correct?

DISA, IMAU whatever else you want to call it depending on the year, make, model...they do the same things and MAYBE more or MAYBE less...they increase/decrease manifold's air.

Originally Posted by 545felix

#2 on this diagram - http://www.realoem.c...277&hg=11&fg=40

Old 03-06-2011, 07:09 PM
Members

Children, don't make me turn this car around. Its not a DISA valve on the back of the intake on the N62, its a drive motor that operates electronically, the intake runner length unlike the DISA that everyone is speaking of. This thread has uncovered #1 the lack of intelligence of some and #2 the immaturity of others. Achtung, No worries about the thread going in a different direction.....I hold no grudge
Old 03-07-2011, 03:39 AM
Members

Achtung, I'm not going argue with you anymore. I didn't even want to bring the whole DISA thing up in this thread but after your smart ass comments i decided too.
Maybe you did find out the DISA problem between the 16 hours from your post "No replies?" and Buddy's post that mentioned to check it out.Then your post 12 hours later (the next day) about how you already found it "by chance". It's certainly possible, But i see a lot of Bull Shit there. I was even going to mention something on your own thread but as you know i didn't.

I was done with this thread and didnt even come back to it untill i seen an email this morning that you had PRVT MSG me asking if i called in Buddy on this thread.
To answer your question, I've NEVER spoken to Buddy in my life and i didn't even know that he had replied to it untill now.
The fact that you think i'd call him in on here shows me how you think and that its probably something you would do.
Im not a lil pussy that would need people to back me up, I can defend my self.

Im done with this thread, So you can say what you like but i won't be listening.

To Buddy: Your very Welcome, Im sure most people saw what i seen too. Don't even bother with this thread man. I regret ever posting here because its a total waste of time and we will all just look like jack ass's.

Sorry to everyone for all this bullshit in this thread. It's completely my fault i should have just minded my own :thumbsdown:

Quick Reply: rough idle