E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

rough idle

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 07:02 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have a 2004 545 manual transmission 75000 miles. Recently, I have been getting a rough/lumpy idle. Kind of like a muscle car with a performance cam. Its not severe, but is annoying. No check engine light, spark plugs were changed a while ago ( the old ones looked good), fuel system is clean. All in all, it runs well except for this. Anyone experience this before and get it resolved? Thanks
Old 03-01-2011, 08:09 AM
Members

Sounds like a timing issue, maybe crank/cam angle sensor issue? Without seeing or feeling in person its tough to say but by description this would be the first place I took a peak.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:07 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Is this happening while you drive? If not probably the issue I'm thinkiung about........

There is an Intake manifold adjuster unit. Take alook at it. I just posted about this. Very common failure part. Take it out and look at it. look at my other posts....... $212 new unless you have wholesale prices....I fixed mine because I did not want another OEM breaker....I want to guarantee the flap will not fail before the motor.......... cost $4 to repair....

Two torx screws very simple....take your time and do not try to force off the electrical connector. If you find the part dirty use intake and carb cleaner to thoroughly clean it.

If that is not it, could be your air filter is severely clogged OR your MAFS (mass airflow sensor)...you may even have two, some M54's do.....but check the below first..........https://5series.net/forums/topic/110...tartup-issues/

rough idle-engine.jpg

Old 03-03-2011, 10:41 AM
Members

2 MAF Sensors? There is only "one" in any M54 engine
The second one you might be referring to is the MAF sensor for the secondary air pump which would have no effect on the performance of the engine what so ever
Old 03-03-2011, 07:56 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Loni313
2 MAF Sensors? There is only "one" in any M54 engine
The second one you might be referring to is the MAF sensor for the secondary air pump which would have no effect on the performance of the engine what so ever
Thanks for the input...perhaps you have some advice for the OP?
Like I said the MAFS. I do not believe the M54 in E60 has the "secondary" although the "secondary" is what BMW calls the actual MAFS...If mine does I haven't really paid attention. My wifes M54 does....
Go ahead and take yours out and let us know the symptoms.

03Hot-film air mass meter113627520519$306.24

3Mass air flow sensor111721438814$100.20
Old 03-04-2011, 12:44 AM
Members

Hot-film air mass meter113627520519: This is the MAF to the motor located between the airbox and the throttle body. the only one to be concerned about

Mass air flow sensor111721438814: this is the air flow sensor to the secondary Airpump/Smog pump that I mentioned.
Has nothing to do with the motor and it's performance.

All US e60's have this smog pump MAF. It also has it's own airbox w/ filter, Maybe you should have suggested that he clean that filter too lol

No M54's have two MAFs. The only BMWs that will have 2 MAFs are V-Engine models running dual airbox's, so unless he's driving a M5 he doesn't need to worry about having 2 MAFs

To the OP, If you can't Find anything visually wrong with the motor and you have no CEL's or faults stored that may indicate the problem then take your car to a trusted shop or dealer.
Replacing parts and sensors like a MAF or Camshaft positioning sensors gets expensive quickly and may not be the problem. you can go to you local autoparts store and pick up a bottle of CRC MAF cleaner and give that a shot. Do a search of the hidden menu for our cars and go to the screen that displays your coolant temp. If the reading isn't atleast 90c when fully warmed up you have a bad coolant temp sensor that will be making your engine run rich and rough.
Search the forum for common rough idle causes and try all the Free or cheap fixes first.
Dont worry about the DISA valve your car doesn't have one.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:51 AM
Senior Members

Well ladies and gentleman looks like we have an old member with a lot to say. Welcome back to the board?
You seem to nit pick and correct a lot of threads you're posting in....or is it just mine? Quick to point out spelling, grammar, etc etc...
Well anyway, thank you for your "enlightenment" on all subjects.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
Well ladies and gentleman looks like we have an old member with a lot to say. Welcome back to the board?
You seem to nit pick and correct a lot of threads you're posting in....or is it just mine? Quick to point out spelling, grammar, etc etc...
Well, first of all, you don't put an innuendo in quotation marks... and you don't use "..." so much. And don't put four dots, where three will do!

j/k
Old 03-04-2011, 01:43 AM
Members

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
LMFAO!!

Thank You Thank You, How's ever one Been? Great to see you all!

Joking aside, I don't go around picking on anyone. Especially on grammar, Mines sucks i'll be the first to admit that But when someone gives inaccurate info you should say something.
I didn't want the poor guy going around and looking for a DISA or a 2nd MAF when neither exist.
There are 2 types of people that respond to posts like this. One type is someone who sincerely wants to help the poster with his/hers problem. The other is someone who wants to act smart by regurgitating things they've recently read or heard and act like they've known about it for years.

For example the DISA valve. You had your own thread about a poor idle. On it you list a bunch of parts of things you've checked and DIS logs you've monitored. None of which mention the DISA until someone recommends that you take a look at it and then you come back with pics of your broken valve telling the person who suggested it to you that you had already known about the valve so there wasn't a reason to thank you. Really? When you started the post you forgot to mention your busted DISA valve but you were still wondering why your car was running rough? Then you go on to say that your not going to replace it with a new unit because it will just fail again. Well my DISA valve is original and has 120k miles on it and it's still hasn't broke. Now your Mr. DISA expert and you come and tell a guy to check his DISA valve when he doesn't even freaking have one lololol

Ok I'm done, I won't bust your balls anymore
Old 03-04-2011, 05:36 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545i sport
Model Year: 2004

All the garbage in this thread aside, my M62 engine had a rough/inconsistant idle when I purchased it. Of all things, it turned out to be a bad alternator that was loading/unloading the engine rapidly. I suspect the DME was trying to compensate for the oscillating (sp?) load without success. The rectifier in the alternator was bad. A new alternator cured the idle and a host of other problems.

I realize a failed alternator for The OP is probably a long shot. First thing I would do is run a can or two of BG44K through the engine (goes in fuel tank) and see if that clears up the idle. With the valves only opening .8mm at idle, it seems to me that any carbon build up can noticably affect idle quality...just a guess.

Quick Reply: rough idle