E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Rough Idle

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 06:55 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Last night I started my car and immediately noticed a rough idle. Also, the steering wheel didn't go down and several of the buttons didn't operate (seat heaters, sport button, more...). I figured this was a good time to try the old "three finger salute" (reboot). This was the first time that I tried it. The steering wheel went back down to normal position, the buttons started working and the idle smoothed right out.
This morning everything is working but the idle was still rough and didn't smooth out once driving. I rebooted again and the engine smoothed out for a few minutes, the back to rough (feels like a plug wire was pulled). After several reboots I called the dealer. I was scheduled to go in May 9 for regular service and aux input but they were willing to take me today given the new issue. Of course I couldn't make it so I've got an early trip to the dealer tomorrow AM.
Car has 21K miles.

Has this happened to anyone here yet? Any thoughts??
Old 04-26-2005, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

It hasn't happened to me -- I don't know if that helps you or not...
Old 04-27-2005, 02:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i -Brilliant Graphite/Oyster 2006 E5004matic- I must have been on drugs when I got this car 2004 545i Black Sapphire/Truffle Brown interior

Same thing happened to me on my 2004 just after I took delivery in March 2005.

The dealer adjusted the idle and problem seemed to go away. A few weeks later
I developed a major oil leak that resulted in an engine replacement.

Problem has not come up again with new engine.
Old 04-27-2005, 08:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Originally Posted by gabman' date='Apr 27 2005, 05:27 AM
Same thing happened to me on my 2004 just after I took delivery in March 2005.

The dealer adjusted the idle and problem seemed to go away. A few weeks later
I developed a major oil leak that resulted in an engine replacement.

Problem has not come up again with new engine.
[snapback]120683[/snapback]
I hope it's not that bad.
At least they gave me a 5 as a loaner (525i).
Old 04-27-2005, 09:36 AM
Contributors

..."I figured this was a good time to try the old "three finger salute" (reboot). This was the first time that I tried it. The steering wheel went back down to normal position, the buttons started working and the idle smoothed right out."...

is this just restarting the car, or are you talking of something else?
i was thinking ctrl-alt-del when you say 3 finger salute, but not quite sure what you mean for the e60?

thanks,

daydok
Old 04-27-2005, 10:16 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by daydok' date='Apr 27 2005, 12:36 PM
..."I figured this was a good time to try the old "three finger salute" (reboot). This was the first time that I tried it. The steering wheel went back down to normal position, the buttons started working and the idle smoothed right out."...

is this just restarting the car, or are you talking of something else?
i was thinking ctrl-alt-del when you say 3 finger salute, but not quite sure what you mean for the e60??

thanks,

daydok
[snapback]120843[/snapback]
Basically yes, ctrl-alt-del.

In the case of the e60 it is radio button and the eject button on the cd player and the eject button on the Nav at the same time.
Old 04-27-2005, 11:10 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Silver Gray, Sport Package, Nav, Logic 7, 20 inch Asanti's

I added a B&B exhaust and I get a little rough idle when the motor is cold and I also get a little power surge also when it is cold!!!! But that is it. I still love my B&B!!
Old 04-27-2005, 11:23 AM
Members

Hi,

There is a Technical Service Bulletin that is think covers this:

SI B 11 02 05 (Engine)

DZ
Old 04-27-2005, 11:52 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Bark41' date='Apr 27 2005, 02:10 PM
I added a B&B exhaust and I get a little rough idle when the motor is cold and I also get a little power surge also when it is cold!!!! But that is it. I still love my B&B!!
[snapback]120874[/snapback]
This is definitely Not a B&B issue. Still ove mine too.

Originally Posted by DannyZBMW' date='Apr 27 2005, 02:23 PM
Hi,

There is a Technical Service Bulletin that is think covers this:

SI B 11 02 05 (Engine)

DZ
[snapback]120878[/snapback]
Any description or a link to what it is?
I will forward it to my SA. Thanks.
Old 04-27-2005, 12:33 PM
Members

Hi,

Here is what the documents cover:

Cause:

Incorrect tolerances and geometry of Valvetronic intermediate levers are causing uneven cylinder filling during the transitional cold start period (60 seconds after the engine has been started) when the Valvetronic system is switching from the initial 6mm to a minimum of 0.3/0.8 mm valve lift.

Correction:

On a customer compaint basis, and after performing diagnostic procedures per SI B 11 02 05, replace the Valvetronic intermediate levers.

They should be able to pull up the document with the parts/steps needed.

Danny Z

Quick Reply: Rough Idle