E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Rotor/Brake humming?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 07:30 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 540i
Model Year: 2017

Originally Posted by balbs
+1...Also when hard braking that humming or low-end zipper sound is normal. If you think about it there are those ridges and dips on the rotors from the slots and cross-drilled holes that temporarily not touch a certain part of the pad for awhile that causes the noise. You generally won't hear that low zipper sound on plain blank rotors.
+2...My aftermarket drilled and slotted rotors make the same noise. The circular grooves will wear away eventually. My rotors with about the same mileage look very similar.
Originally Posted by onetime
Those cross hatch marks on the front rotors appear to be from machining.
+1
Attached Thumbnails Rotor/Brake humming?-rotors.jpg   Rotor/Brake humming?-rotor_1.jpg  
Old 11-05-2012, 08:34 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 525i, Metalic Gray, Premium Package

It is just strange that these X marks only appear in front rotors, and none in rear rotors. Both front and rear rotors were bought in the same package, same brand and model.

Do you remember how many miles it took your X marks to fade away?

Thanks!

Each manufacturer has their own way of doing things. I'm sure those are just tooling marks. Maybe from the last sanding\polishing process maybe from a belt or some sort that makes the lines straight and done in oposing directions. Mine had them brand new and they start to fade away with use. I'm sure it's the same with your neighbor's Benz.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:47 AM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

To be honest, I never checked how long it took for the X to go away. All I know was it was there when the rotors were new and now it has the tell tale sign of normal pad to rotor wear.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:45 PM
Members

I am going to do the test of marking black lines on all 4 rotors this weekend, and observe whether they get cleaned out unevenly between front and back. I did a quick test the other night, and was surprised to see they required many brakings to wear out. Both front and rear lines wore out. Will need to test more to see if there is a difference in how soon they wear out.

My problem seems to be more force between rear rotors/pads than front rotors/pads. I thought about how the entire system works (brake booster, vaccum, proportioning valve, calipers, pads and rotors). Given I have no fluid leak, and both front and back caliper pistons appear to be free moving, there are only two possible reasons I can think of:

1. Does the braking system in this car have a proportioning valve? Somehow the proportioning valve is directing more pressure to the rear?

2. If there are air bubbles in certain locations of the front side, AND if somehow those air bubbles only impacts the front side braking power but not the rear side. Is this possible given the design of the system?

To be honest, I never checked how long it took for the X to go away. All I know was it was there when the rotors were new and now it has the tell tale sign of normal pad to rotor wear.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:50 PM
Members

Hello, it has been almost two years. The "X" marks on the front rotors are now 80% gone. So my theory is that the front and rear rotors, despite same brand and bought in one package, were made differently. Case closed.