E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Rod Bearing time... or new engine?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2023, 11:02 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2009 535xi fbo w/stage 2+ MHD
Unhappy Rod Bearing time... or new engine?

So I had a post up here a while back about a timing issue... thought it went away forever but it reared it's ugly head when I went for the custom tune.
Today I took the oil pan down and see this... looks like copper and thin thin metal pieces and two plastic... plastic might be from the previous guide rail
that I replaced (upper one that the vanos go through, which did break on me the first time I removed the head)... a buddy says the copper is the bearings gone...

I was informed there is no point doing the bearings now as the engine is trash.... is that the case? Or is this something repairable? What else should I be checking to see if this
can be saved? He was telling me my entire oil system has to be replaced... all lines, pump, etc as it will never fully be cleaned... IMO I have new turbo lines anyways and will happily replace
them... I can remove the head and I happen to have a spare to use lol so in my mind its simply... replacing bearings, check the guide rails for oil pump and timing, replace normal bots for pump, oil pan, (of course the rods),

but is this realistic? I thought I've seen plenty of people spin a bearing and just replace, check valves, re-time and get moving.....