E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

roadside assistance?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 12:48 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 M5 alpine white, black full leather, etc.

This tale begins at the end of November, BMW put a new free set of run-flats on my vehicle. Living in NYC, I think I have occasion to look at it more in my ridiculouly expensive park and lock garage space than driving it.
On Saturday mornings I enjoy listening to "Car Talk" on NPR. Yesterday someone called about a sound coming from the front of his vehicle. He looked around the front end and discovered one of his wheels was down to only one lug nut! A dangerous situation.
So, after going out for one of my few luxury opportunities to drive somewhere that same day, in this case with my wife and son to visit my mom in N.J., I started doing a little detail cleaning and noticed similarly to my displeasure that, low and behold, a lug nut was loose on my right front wheel. The threads were completely stripped. The nut pulled right out and I was concerned about the safety of driving the vehicle. Here was my chance to call BMW roadside assistance for some advice and council. I explained my plight to my phone advisor, a woman, who curtly requested if I wanted a tow. I told to her to send a truck out so someone could have a look and maybe have another lug nut to see if the wheel was really stripped out. She said what I was asking for didn't qualify under the terms of the warranty. Again she demanded to know if I wanted a tow to a dealer. At this point, I was a bit confused and getting rather annoyed with her. Her insistent attitude was not making my anxiety over a hopefully trivial matter any eaisier to deal with. I asked her for her name and just as I got the words out she put me on an endless hold I guess to get rid of me.
I drove over to a tire store and quickly found out that one lug nut out was no problem. The hub, however probably needed to be changed and that problem was caused by the BMW service guy who changed my tires.
What a complete waste of time and energy I went through with BMW RSA. All that was needed was to tell me don't worry about it. Driving with 4 lug nuts is fine and get to the dealer at my earliest convience to take care of the matter. Just a little professional advise.
Anyone else have any trouble with idiots on BMW RSA? We used to have AAA. When needed, those guys were always great!
Old 01-29-2006, 12:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Not great sounding service. Under such conditions, you can always call back and speak to someone else or talk to BMW custom relations. Honestly, I don't know what the opitons are when you call in. As I understand things, one has to pay if BMW sends someone??? But, anyway, if I wanted someone to come to me, then I'd call another service I pay for. If you every have someone come for your car, be sure and tell whoever that you need a flatbed--not a tow. Sorry about your problem.
Old 01-29-2006, 01:08 PM
Contributors

Actually, BMW RSA is free under the terms of the warranty. Even if they send a truck out there is no charge for a tow or advice. I did call someone else there who made a note of my problem in a file and apologized to me.
Old 01-29-2006, 01:11 PM
Senior Members

Yeah, they're complete retards. Basically, unless you've just driven your car off a cliff and it (and you) are a crumpled mess, don't bother calling. Just fix the problem yourself.
Old 01-29-2006, 01:14 PM
Contributors

Evenflo545, do have an experience with them to tell me about?
Old 01-29-2006, 01:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by 1600' post='231561' date='Jan 29 2006, 05:08 PM
Actually, BMW RSA is free under the terms of the warranty. Even if they send a truck out there is no charge for a tow or advice. I did call someone else there who made a note of my problem in a file and apologized to me.
I'll have to check farther. I never have been completely clear on what is free and not. Some of us even have concierge free for a year. I think this practice stopped in September 05.
Old 01-29-2006, 02:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Well dont worry now... As of January 01, 2006 for USA BMW RSA now goes throught AAA instead of BMW

And cars bought after January 1, 2006 have 4 year / Unlimited RSA instead of the old 4 year / 50,000 miles
Old 01-29-2006, 03:29 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='231608' date='Jan 29 2006, 06:36 PM
Well dont worry now... As of January 01, 2006 for USA BMW RSA now goes throught AAA instead of BMW

And cars bought after January 1, 2006 have 4 year / Unlimited RSA instead of the old 4 year / 50,000 miles

Well, I look pretty dumb...I was talking to AAA? How did you find that out? If it is so. bring back a dedicated BMW RSA, please!!!!!
Old 01-29-2006, 03:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by 1600' post='231630

Well, I look pretty dumb...I was talking to AAA? How did you find that out? If it is so. bring back a dedicated BMW RSA, please!!!!!
[/quote]

I think right now you are still connected to a BMW rep first when you call, they might change it later to go directly to AAA isntead.

I found out cuz BMW Assist called me 3 times trying to tell me to extend my BMW Assist for $199 but I kept saying let me think about it and each time they they told me the benefits and this was one of them they kept mentioning to me. Its contracted to AAA now and they so called said "and you know how good, fast and reliable AAA is" hahahahha I'm only interested in the Collision Automatic dialing feature nothing else and I tried to tell them they should offer JUST that at a lower rate like $100 a year instead of $200 for everything.

That way they can at least make $100 a year from me rather than none.
Old 01-29-2006, 05:26 PM
Senior Members

I had an electrical problem on a loaner X5; called BMW assistance; and they told me they'd send a flatbed from a location 100 miles away; load me and the car up; and then drive us both back to the dealer, which was located 200 miles the other way.

Unfortunately, I had six or seven depositions to attend, which were taking place in the town where the SUV had quit operating. When I asked BMW for another option, the guy told me that the aforementioned was the only one I had.

Nice.

So, yeah. I have personal experience.

How about making service contracts with local, independent mechanics, in various towns?

Quick Reply: roadside assistance?