E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road & Track: Comparison Test: 2009 Cadillac CTS-V vs. 2008 BMW M5

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 04:07 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i, Carbon Black Metallic with Black Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, NAV, Cold-Weather Package, Folding Rear Seats, Rear Side Impact Airbags, Sirius, iPod/USB Adapter,
Model Year: 2008

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?se...6963&cid=75

Monticello, New York ? Un-precedented. That is the only way to describe this showdown between BMW's legendary M5 and Cadillac's all-new CTS-V. That Cadillac and BMW accepted our invitation to pick the drivers and pit their cars against each other at a neutral site for hot laps and winner-takes-all bragging rights speaks volumes to where these companies are in the sports-sedan hierarchy.

Slideshow >>

Cadillac is the hungry challenger, making no secret that it has benchmarked the M5 in producing its new 556-bhp CTS-V, right down to specifying the same Michelin PS2 tires. So hungry, in fact, that it agreed to the face?off three weeks before it would allow any journalists (including us) to drive the car.

BMW knows it builds a car all others seek to emulate. It also knows it has a new M5 in the works. Still, the company is game to put its 3-year-old M5 to the test, bringing two versions, a 6-speed manual and 7-speed SMG model piloted by veteran BMW racing ace, Bill Auberlen. Cadillac shows up with a single, jet-black CTS-V with Performance Vehicle Operations Director John Heinricy as the designated hotshoe.

Slideshow >>

It's dawn and we're at the Monticello Motor Club, 90 miles northwest of Manhattan. The club's grand opening is in two days. Outside the main gate is a throng of more than 100 workers who are being held up ? by us. "We've got a little over an hour to do hot laps before I have to let them in to finish up the track," says Jason Bannerman, the track director. For not being finished, the track looks far prettier than most I've seen finished. When it's done it'll be an extraordinary place.

The 3.4-mile loop we used is incredibly smooth and very green. So new, no one has yet done timed laps on it. Bill and John are eager to learn the track and begin circling in borrowed rental cars. A rolling chicane consisting of track staff and a street-sweeper keep them from playing out that scene from Days of Thunder. They're flagged in before the rental cars give out.

Slideshow >>

The massive construction around the grounds has left a lot of dirt on the track. It's a new surface and will take a few race days to become seasoned. John and Bill are a little apprehensive about some water on the back side of the track that's in shade and also the ever-present dust that seems to be embedded in the surface. They don't seem to worry much as they reach just shy of 150 mph down the main straight on their first run. The first session goes for 20 minutes and the first overall track record is appropriately set by the CTS-V at 2 minutes, 47.55 seconds. Heinricy has countless hours behind the wheel of the car and is right at home; he's also an experienced racer ? it shows. The glossy black and chrome of Lord Vader's ride taunts Auberlen into action. He has been racing BMWs for years, but hasn't been in an M5 for four years, yet gets situated quickly. He switches cars from the 6-speed manual to the 7-speed SMG-equipped car and rips out a 2:45.96 and the Cadillac crew cringes. Team BMW is suppressing grins.

Slideshow >>

Heinricy is confident his 6-speed manual V can run with the ultra-racy paddle-shifted M5. Looking at the stats, the V has a big advantage with 56 more horsepower, 168 lb.-ft. more torque and only a 150-lb. weight penalty. He puts the power to good use and stretches the legs of his V to 149.18 mph and runs a 2:45.55. Our Vbox GPS data shows that both drivers and cars are performing nearly identical laps. With the water patch drying and the sun warming the track surface, both drivers start running cool-down laps between fast laps. It's the last session and it's too close to call yet. Auberlen runs two hard laps and comes in first with a smile. His timing beacon says he did a 2:44.70 and the GPS data agrees. Heinricy is still out and Kevin Smith of Cadillac's communications is perspiring. The V is flagged in, Smith's stopwatch says it's close. The V ran three fast laps, each one faster than the previous by a tenth of a second. The final one is a 2:44.23, just under a half-second faster than the BMW. Could the M5 go quicker? Maybe. But for now we'll have to let the track get back to its construction.

Cadillac won by the skin of its teeth and all the participants walked away happy. Cadillac has made a CTS-V that can best the BMW M5 for likely the cost difference of a Chevy Malibu, while BMW knows its 3-year-old M5 is still close competition for the newest CTS-V. I'm sure BMW will be glad to raise the bar again with the next M5, but for now the V is king.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Some guy in one of these Caddies was trying to get me to go last week ....... I didn't even acknowledge him so he lit it up rolling at about 20KMH , that thing sounded awesome and it flew !!
Good on you Cadillac !!
Old 08-28-2008, 04:43 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: stock non-sport alpine white '04 530i

road & track is crap
Old 08-28-2008, 04:59 PM
Members

I know this is an E60 board so the opinions will be skewed...but objectively speaking - which would you rather own in your garage?

A cadillac V or a BMW M5?

For me the choice is simple - the M5.

A car is not about raw numbers.

It is the sum of its parts.

And this is where BMW shines.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:03 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by roadie' post='656762' date='Aug 28 2008, 05:59 PM
I know this is an E60 board so the opinions will be skewed...but objectively speaking - which would you rather own in your garage?

+1 to that; plus I'll wager the dep'n bite on the Cad will be far worse.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:08 PM
Members

Caddy did real good with that CTS-V, it really is a monster and a GREAT value. It barely edged out the "older" M5...that speaks volumes about the M5. This leaves no doubt that the next M5 will blow it away!

I actually still have a deposit down on a CTS-V at my local caddy dealer (which I put down a couple months ago). I am number 3 on their list to get a CTS-V. and I was debating between the CTS-V, a 4 door E90 M3, pre-owned E60 M5, or a 535i Sport and "tuning it". All are about $60k give or take.

I ended up going with the 535i and tune...in the end I wanted the additional space of the 5 series over the smaller M3 and the fuel efficiency of the N54 6cyl.... Stock 535i does 0-60 in 5.6 or so sec and the tune adds 80hp/80tq which makes it even quicker (some tuned 535's have run the 1/4 in high 12's) and if I drive normal I can still get 20+ mpg...it's no CTS-V or M5 but it's close enough for me

PS. This thread reminds me...I gotta give my caddy salesmen the bad news...I need my deposit back and cross me off the list, I'm an E60 owner now
Old 08-28-2008, 09:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 550i 2007 M-Kit installed- 367 BHP Sapphire black, comfort seats, comfort access, HUD, Professional Nav, Logic 7.

Originally Posted by roadie' post='656762' date='Aug 29 2008, 04:59 AM

+1
Old 08-28-2008, 09:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

I also wonder how often the Cadillac will be in the shop for repairs while the M5 driver is out enjoying the road??
Old 08-28-2008, 09:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

The real king isn't the V, it's advertising dollars. GM spends them and BMW doesn't. Trade magazines are nowhere near as independent as they would like you to think. They survive by pandering to their advertisers. The more you spend, the better they treat you in their articles.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 525i, mystic blue metallic, black leather interior, dark poplar wood trim, premium package, navigation, iPod, park distance control, voice activation, bluetooth. Mods: Full M-Tech Kit, ACS Rep Rear Window Spoiler, ACS Rep Rear Deck Spoiler, ACS Rep Quad Diffuser, ACS Rep Exhaust Tips, Remus Duel Exhaust, De-badge, 20% Tint Front and Rear, Umnitza Predator Ice V2, HID fog lights, Clear Side Marker Light Bulbs (yellow when on), Dark Poplar Wood Shifter, Dark Poplar Wood e-Brake Handle, Dark Poplar Wood Steering Wheel Inserts, OEM Steel Pedals, OEM M Footrest, 19 inch OEM 121s (Summer), 18 inch 124s (Winter), Shadowline Window Trim, Blacked-out Kidney Grills

I test drove a CTS-V back in 2004 and thought it was awesome. However, the interior was typical GM quality. I hope they spent more time and money on the interior now. Given the choice, I may put that caddy in the garage instead of an M5...

I am ready for the flaming spears to come my way

Quick Reply: Road & Track: Comparison Test: 2009 Cadillac CTS-V vs. 2008 BMW M5