E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rim Refinishing

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 09:32 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i M

Just bought my 550i M-Sport with Style 172s. Previous owner leased the car and scratched up the lips of three of the rims. I know that in NYC there are dozens of places that repair and simply repaint rims. They look like sh*t once they paint them. Just curious how a powdercoated rim looks? Are stock rims painted or powdercoated?
Old 01-13-2011, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Stock rims are paitnted not PC'd. Like anything else, the quality and skill of the person doing the repair is very important when it comes to the finished product. That being said, there are a good number of NY members and I'm sure you will get a few recc's on who to use for rash/scratch wheel repair..

If you were to PC your wheel, it won't match, you would want to PC all 4 wheels if you go this route....
Old 01-13-2011, 10:17 AM
Senior Members

for factory rims i use/recommend "alloy wheel repair" however like gene said, the quality of the person doing the work matters alot. my local guy out here in CT does awesome work with factory color matched paint on OEM wheels. he can reweld, fix bends, fix curb rash, or fully refinish. powerdercoating is another alternative but generally more expensive.

http://www.awrswheelrepair.com/locator/

see if your local guy has some pics for you to see so you can see his quality first!
Old 01-13-2011, 10:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

I used a great guy in NJ ( I live in Staten Island) he picked up, delivered, and did a great job! He uses BMW paint to match, I had only one wheel done( same style wheel, BTW) and it looked great... PM me if you want his number...
Old 01-13-2011, 10:40 AM
Contributors

Additionaly, I think John of Motorcepts (who is a member/vendor in NYC) offers wheel refinishing services. I can't attest to the service for the wheels, but everything else John provides is A++
Old 01-13-2011, 10:40 AM
Members

Agree that quality is in the guy doing the work. Had one of mine done and it was flawless..however, I have seen others and they have looked like sh1t..
Old 01-13-2011, 11:40 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by jay bimma
for factory rims i use/recommend "alloy wheel repair" however like gene said, the quality of the person doing the work matters alot. my local guy out here in CT does awesome work with factory color matched paint on OEM wheels. he can reweld, fix bends, fix curb rash, or fully refinish. powerdercoating is another alternative but generally more expensive.

http://www.awrswheelrepair.com/locator/

see if your local guy has some pics for you to see so you can see his quality first!
i've used them before, and after they're done, you cant tell that the wheel was ever damaged.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:11 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i M

Originally Posted by redEYEjedi
Additionaly, I think John of Motorcepts (who is a member/vendor in NYC) offers wheel refinishing services. I can't attest to the service for the wheels, but everything else John provides is A++
Funny you mentioned John of Motorcepts, I bought the car at Motorcepts off of Leo. Good people top notch work, highly recommended shop.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:21 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: check siggg

Since when did motorcepts start selling cars??? They are definitely doing it big out there on the east coast!
Old 01-13-2011, 07:22 PM
Members

Does anyone know of any shops in Chicago that do good work?

Quick Reply: Rim Refinishing