E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Ride on runflats E60 vs E90 no comparison

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 02:54 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Originally Posted by IrishEyes' date='Apr 5 2005, 04:32 PM
[quote name='Merv the Derv' date='Apr 5 2005, 10:19 PM']
I would agree there the ride in my 535d sport is better than my 530 SE on sport suspension.
Hi Merv,

I was curious as to whether an E90 5 series on sport suspension rode the same as an E90 sport. On your E60 530SE with sport suspension, what was the wheel size on the car? 17" or 18"? Wondering what impact the wheel size has on the ride.

If one didn't want to splurge out on a full sport kit, what would one have to do, to obtain the same ride/handling balance on an SE?

[snapback]111566[/snapback]
[/quote]

Irish Eyes

I had 18" 124's on my 530d. The ride on the sport with 18's is still hard but feels more refined somehow!
I don't know what you would need to do to get the same ride on the SE. I believe the suspension is completly different from previous topics hence no dynamic drive option on the sport.

ISUK

How many cars do you need man?
Old 04-06-2005, 03:08 AM
stu
Members

I think the ride can be fine on 124 run flats - so long as you don't go for the sports suspension.

I had a loaner 05 530i last week and on 124's with dunlop rf's it was really comfortable compared to my old 530D simply because it didn't have sports suspension.

Sure the car looks a bit meaner with the sports suspension because it sits lower - but the hard ride is the price you pay. I really don't think the wheels make that much difference.
Old 04-06-2005, 03:14 AM
Contributors

I love the front look of the E90 but the rear does not feel like BM_wow.

Same note, I still dont like the rear of the chrysler..i meant...new 6.
Old 04-06-2005, 04:00 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by stu' date='Apr 6 2005, 11:08 AM
I think the ride can be fine on 124 run flats - so long as you don't go for the sports suspension.

I had a loaner 05 530i last week and? on 124's with dunlop rf's it was really comfortable compared to my old 530D simply because it didn't have sports suspension.

Sure the car looks a bit meaner with the sports suspension because it sits lower - but the hard ride is the price you pay. I really don't think the wheels make that much difference.
I tried both suspensions and found the normal one way too soft and 'pliable'. I think the sport suspension is better for me but I understand why people may prefer the normal one... I want to try the M suspension in the Sport model sometime for a complete comparison...
Old 04-06-2005, 08:29 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d Sport Carbon Black/Black Leather Media Pack,Visibility Pack,Through Load,Logic 7,Electric Seats,Sun Protection Glass,Maple Wood,Lumbar Adj,Heated Seats,Folding Mirrors

Originally Posted by IrishEyes' date='Apr 5 2005, 09:08 PM
Last Saturday I took a brief test drive in two E90's - a 320d on standard suspension and a 325i on sport suspension and then an E90 535d sport.

I thought the standard 320d (on 16" rft's) rode better than my E60 on 17" rft's. Not sure if it is it due to the march of tyre technology, BMW geting their act together with run flats or the fact that the E90 is engineered completely for run flat tyres only. Engine was very refined for a 4 pot diesel. More refined than the same engine in the E46 (although tuned for more power/torque in the E90).

I then drove the 325i sport on 17" rft's. I thought the sport setup completely ruined the ride in the E90. It appeared to be too fidgety on the road. I reckon the wheelbase is too short for the stiff suspension. However, it did feel lively on the road and the engine is a masterpiece. I'm very tempted to go for a 325i on standard suspension.

Lastly, the 535d sport. Power/torque notwithstanding, I couldn't believe the feel from the suspension. For not a huge cost in ride comfort over the standard E60 it felt great on the road. Not sure how much the servotronic p/s had in this but it sure looks like a very good compromise. Certainly a better setup than an E90 sport suspension. The diesel engines are getting too refined as well. It didn't appear to have the same bang as a 530d. I think the power comes in too smoothly whereas the 530d has more of a 'wheres the turbo - BANG - there it is' effect. However, phenomonel performance in the 535d.
[snapback]111552[/snapback]
I've been driving a 535d Sport since November...you seem to be saying that the 325i SE on sport suspension is more fidgety than a 535d Sport? I'm sorry but I just don't agree with that and judging from reviews in magazines most journalists don't either. Before I had the 535d I had an M3 so I like firm riding cars but the 535d is firm but really badly damped in combination with the runflats IMHO. Be interesting to see what the E90 Sport due in September rides like as that will be firmer still.
Old 04-06-2005, 11:40 AM
Members

ISUK,

I hope your employee is not too dissapointed that you nicked the 320d you had promised him.

Look forward to seeing the pics although I am still not sure about the rear end look. I think the rear lights should be styled like Z4 or X3. When Autocar mag first did an artists impression of E90 it looked great with Z4/X3 stle rear lights.

Mark-Yorkshire
Old 04-06-2005, 12:18 PM
Senior Members

Guys,

I think the rear end of the E90 looks great. My car is silver and from a distance the reversing lights actually appear to be "hidden" in the silver paintwork giving the same impression of the E46 L shaped tail light assembly. This obviously wouldn't hold true on other colours. I guess you may need time to adjust to the new rear but I'm sure if I come back in 6 to 12 months people will be saying what a great design the E90 is all round. I remember what it was like to own an E60 way back in summer 03. The styling was mocked everywhere with the rear coming in for severe criticism against the E39. Now everyone is used to the design and the naysayers have done a 180 on it. Having owned an E60 and now driving an E90 I'd say the E90 is a more sporting drive.

I've had the 535d Sport demo back for 24hrs today and done around 200 miles in it on mixed driving. I really REALLY can't notice any difference in ride to my sport suspension equipped 530d. If you guys notice a significant difference all I can say is you should change jobs and become chassis engineers. The difference is so small as to be unoticeable. Another point to note is that BMW have significantly changed the colour composition of Carbon Black. I thought I was going mad as I test drove a Carbon Black M3 when the car was first launched in the UK 3 years ago. I recall really liking the colour yet when I saw it onn the 535d sport I was deeply unimpressed and thought it looked like a marginally darker orient as opposed to the metallic black with a hint of blueish purple I remembered. When I took the car back to the dealer today there was an 02 reg M3 in Carbon Black there. I perked next to it and WOW! BMW have no business calling the colour on the E60 Carbon Black. If you don't believe me seek out an early M3 in this colour and do the same test yourself. I wish BMW would revert back to the original colour. The salesman at the dealership said a few people had noticed the change and that BMW often change the colour mix yet retain the same name. Apparently Mystic blue has also changed hue recently.

After driving the 535d Sport I am more impressed with it but still not 100% smitten. The power is fantastic but you feel somehow strangely uninvolved in the whole process as the car is so smooth. It must be very easy to collect 12 points on your licence in one of these without blinking. I passed a transporter laden with the new Range Rover Sport model on the Coventry ring road today and have to say the 4.2 supercharged model in silver with privacy glass is seriously tempting me. I'm waiting to test the 4.8iS X5 next week then a Cayenne S before deciding who I'm writing my cheque out to for my next car.

Merv,

One car is for business use, the other for pleasure. No prizes for guessing which is which. If you think I have a lot of cars there is a guy who posts on Rennteam who owns over 150 cars! And he isn't the Sultan of Brunei but is a Texan
Old 04-07-2005, 03:22 AM
Members

My Ride: Currently in a 2003 e46 M3 Cab Waiting to get a 535d Sport with individual and all the extras...

Hmmm...I will be mightily peeved if Carbon Black is not Carbon Black

But it is a chameleon colour in that mine in current lighting (the m3 that is) looks very blue....give it a good wash and it's black
Old 04-07-2005, 04:27 AM
Senior Members

Olly,

Trust me. The colour on the E60 is not the same as you have on your E46 M3. I don't like being the bearer of bad news but it is a fact. If you park an M3 in Carbon Black next to an E60 sport in "Carbon black", the E60 looks like it is Orient blue. Sorry.
Old 04-07-2005, 06:59 AM
Members

My Ride: Currently in a 2003 e46 M3 Cab Waiting to get a 535d Sport with individual and all the extras...

Bastardos

It looks the same in photos though. Hmmm well forearmed is forewarned. I shall drive my M3 right next to the car when I pick it up. If the difference is visible I will see if I can harass the dealer into giving me something due to difference

Quick Reply: Ride on runflats E60 vs E90 no comparison