E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Ride on runflats E60 vs E90 no comparison

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 12:11 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535d Sport Carbon Black/Black Leather Media Pack,Visibility Pack,Through Load,Logic 7,Electric Seats,Sun Protection Glass,Maple Wood,Lumbar Adj,Heated Seats,Folding Mirrors

I drove an E90 330i SE today with 18" wheels and sport suspension. Firstly the 330i really is a fantastic car and I am seriously considering getting one when the Sport variants are released in September. However, the ride of the E90 is nothing short of revolutionary compared to the E60 it's very sporting but still manages to be very compliant when you want it to be...it really absorbs things like speed bumps incredibly well. I know an SE with Sport suspension isn't going to be as firm as a Sport model but that doesn't explain the difference particularly when you would expect a bigger car to have a better ride all other things being equal.
Old 04-05-2005, 01:01 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i Mystic Blue/Black Leather Type 124 Wheels

The E90 suspension was designed for run-flats only, The E60 sspension can take both, hence not so good on run-flats as the E90
Old 04-05-2005, 01:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by David' date='Apr 5 2005, 03:11 PM
I drove an E90 330i SE today with 18" wheels and sport suspension. Firstly the 330i really is a fantastic car and I am seriously considering getting one when the Sport variants are released in September. However, the ride of the E90 is nothing short of revolutionary compared to the E60 it's very sporting but still manages to be very compliant when you want it to be...it really absorbs things like speed bumps incredibly well. I know an SE with Sport suspension isn't going to be as firm as a Sport model but that doesn't explain the difference particularly when you would expect a bigger car to have a better ride all other things being equal.
[snapback]111522[/snapback]

Car and Driver addressed this in their review of the 330i. BMW told them that since all 3-series come with run flats, they were able to tune the suspension more specifically to the characteristics of the run flats.

"Run-flat tires are used with every tire-and-wheel option on the new 3-series. We haven't liked the ride quality of run-flats specified for other BMWs, but the 3-series engineers say they were better able to tune the suspension to match these tires because there is no conventional alternative. The 330i models we drove had the standard suspension shod with Pirelli Eufori@ run-flats and did seem more comfortable over broken road surfaces than 5-series cars of our experience."
Old 04-05-2005, 01:08 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Collected Sept 2009 - BMW E90 M3, Silverstone II, Novillo Black leather, 19" M Double-Spoke alloys, High Beam Assist, Electronic Damper Control, Voice Control, PDC, USB, DAB, High Gloss Shadowline, Sliding armrest, Trim Finishing in aluminium grey.

Last Saturday I took a brief test drive in two E90's - a 320d on standard suspension and a 325i on sport suspension and then an E90 535d sport.

I thought the standard 320d (on 16" rft's) rode better than my E60 on 17" rft's. Not sure if it is it due to the march of tyre technology, BMW geting their act together with run flats or the fact that the E90 is engineered completely for run flat tyres only. Engine was very refined for a 4 pot diesel. More refined than the same engine in the E46 (although tuned for more power/torque in the E90).

I then drove the 325i sport on 17" rft's. I thought the sport setup completely ruined the ride in the E90. It appeared to be too fidgety on the road. I reckon the wheelbase is too short for the stiff suspension. However, it did feel lively on the road and the engine is a masterpiece. I'm very tempted to go for a 325i on standard suspension.

Lastly, the 535d sport. Power/torque notwithstanding, I couldn't believe the feel from the suspension. For not a huge cost in ride comfort over the standard E60 it felt great on the road. Not sure how much the servotronic p/s had in this but it sure looks like a very good compromise. Certainly a better setup than an E90 sport suspension. The diesel engines are getting too refined as well. It didn't appear to have the same bang as a 530d. I think the power comes in too smoothly whereas the 530d has more of a 'wheres the turbo - BANG - there it is' effect. However, phenomonel performance in the 535d.
Old 04-05-2005, 01:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Originally Posted by David' date='Apr 5 2005, 03:11 PM
[snapback]111522[/snapback]
Interesting comments on the ride. I suppose BMW have had a chance to silence the runflat critics with the E90.

IMHO, and not wishing to upset those who like the E90, I just don't like the look of the new 3, just like I didn't like the last 3 (except later coupe). That chrome grill will be the first thing they change and the rear end is just an afterthought copied from a cheap malaysian car. Better shut line than the 5 though! When I first saw the new 3 it just didn't do it for me whereas when I first saw the 5 I had to have one. The front of the new 5 takes over where the old 5 left off. It may grow on me but then I thought the 7 would - nothing yet. Just my opinion
Old 04-05-2005, 01:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Originally Posted by IrishEyes' date='Apr 5 2005, 04:08 PM
Last Saturday I took a brief test drive in two E90's - a 320d on standard suspension and a 325i on sport suspension and then an E90 535d sport.

I thought the standard 320d (on 16" rft's) rode better than my E60 on 17" rft's. Not sure if it is it due to the march of tyre technology, BMW geting their act together with run flats or the fact that the E90 is engineered completely for run flat tyres only. Engine was very refined for a 4 pot diesel. More refined than the same engine in the E46 (although tuned for more power/torque in the E90).

I then drove the 325i sport on 17" rft's. I thought the sport setup completely ruined the ride in the E90. It appeared to be too fidgety on the road. I reckon the wheelbase is too short for the stiff suspension. However, it did feel lively on the road and the engine is a masterpiece. I'm very tempted to go for a 325i on standard suspension.

Lastly, the 535d sport. Power/torque notwithstanding, I couldn't believe the feel from the suspension. For not a huge cost in ride comfort over the standard E60 it felt great on the road. Not sure how much the servotronic p/s had in this but it sure looks like a very good compromise. Certainly a better setup than an E90 sport suspension. The diesel engines are getting too refined as well. It didn't appear to have the same bang as a 530d. I think the power comes in too smoothly whereas the 530d has more of a 'wheres the turbo - BANG - there it is' effect. However, phenomonel performance in the 535d.
[snapback]111552[/snapback]
Irish Eyes

I would agree there the ride in my 535d sport is better than my 530 SE on sport suspension.

I like your signature - I wouldn't like to die like my old grandad, his last words were "FU*K ME A BUS"

Merv
Old 04-05-2005, 01:32 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Collected Sept 2009 - BMW E90 M3, Silverstone II, Novillo Black leather, 19" M Double-Spoke alloys, High Beam Assist, Electronic Damper Control, Voice Control, PDC, USB, DAB, High Gloss Shadowline, Sliding armrest, Trim Finishing in aluminium grey.

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' date='Apr 5 2005, 10:19 PM
I would agree there the ride in my 535d sport is better than my 530 SE on sport suspension.
Hi Merv,

I was curious as to whether an E90 5 series on sport suspension rode the same as an E90 sport. On your E60 530SE with sport suspension, what was the wheel size on the car? 17" or 18"? Wondering what impact the wheel size has on the ride.

If one didn't want to splurge out on a full sport kit, what would one have to do, to obtain the same ride/handling balance on an SE?

Old 04-05-2005, 01:37 PM
Senior Members

I've just taken delivery of my 320dSE on sport suspension and waved goodbye to my 530d. The 530d was collected at 2.30pm yesterday and the dealer didn't know I was going to trade it in. I called in to see them this morning about a minor issue on the 3 and discovered my 5 had been sold. This was 10am!! Must be a record for selling a used car I would have thought.

The E90 is a revelation. It easily feels as big inside as an E39 5 series and the performance of the 2.0 for pot diesel is atsonishing. This car is seriously quick and extremely refined. It is quieter inside than my 530d was on the motorway. The interior material quality eclipses the E60 as well though I haven't yet seen a post wk 9 build to be fair. I-drive gremlins are alive and well though as the car is refusing to recognise the cd changer and keeps losing my personal settings. This car is going to fun to drive for the next 4 or 5 months.

I have a 535d Sport as a loaner for the day whilst they reprogramme the 3. It now has around 1500 miles on it and is totally transformed from when I last drove it. This car is extemely rapid. The spec is poor though IMHO and I really don't like the black dakota leather with the Carbon Black exterior (no offence to those of you who have/like this combination). I always thought the finish on my auburn dakota leather looked poor but in black it looks like a cross between cheap vinyl and rubber.. not nice. It further cheapens the interior IMHO. Why can't BMW put the same leather interior from the E90 into the E60? My 320d has intricate stiching on the seems, good detailing on the central sections of the seats and headrests that actually hinge forward so you can rest your head on them - hallelujah. The sports seats in the 3 are fantastic as well with loads of adjustibility and side bolster air cushions.

I'm getting an X5 4.8iS next week for a full week's demo then have to decide whether to go for one of those or a 535d Sport with Individual interior and possibly Individual paint. I fear the tax bill on the X5 but fear the fact that I may become addicted to it even more
Old 04-05-2005, 01:53 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i Mystic Blue/Black Leather Type 124 Wheels

ISUK we need pics of the new car
Old 04-05-2005, 02:12 PM
Senior Members

E60speed,

I'll take some pics at the weekend, weather permitting.

Quick Reply: Ride on runflats E60 vs E90 no comparison