E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RFT's, again!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 06:34 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone successfully changed from RFT's to Non RFT's on this type of rim?

My local dealer is very non-committal about this; one person said the whole car is set up and designed to work on RFT's. I then pointed out that the 172's don't come with RFT and he said "I can't comment on that as I don't know if they do..." Yeah, right!

Another guy in parts said the rims are different and you cannot change to non RFT's. The tyres will not fit.

I then spoke to my local tyre fitter (Indy) who said that on this rim I would be plagued with flat tyre messages.

I've bought the spare wheel kit ?177 (ouch), my tyres still have life ion them, but I would like to know if this is possible on this rim as all the experts say don't do it.

PS - kit is to fit some mudflaps, dealers wanted >?100 just to fit 4 flaps!
Old 10-09-2009, 07:14 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Jambers' post='1028405' date='Oct 9 2009, 07:34 AM

My local dealer is very non-committal about this; one person said the whole car is set up and designed to work on RFT's. I then pointed out that the 172's don't come with RFT and he said "I can't comment on that as I don't know if they do..." Yeah, right!

Another guy in parts said the rims are different and you cannot change to non RFT's. The tyres will not fit.

I then spoke to my local tyre fitter (Indy) who said that on this rim I would be plagued with flat tyre messages.

I've bought the spare wheel kit ?177 (ouch), my tyres still have life ion them, but I would like to know if this is possible on this rim as all the experts say don't do it.

I just went from 18in RFTs to 19in non-RFTs and it improved the car in every way. Don't listen to your dealer. Make a change.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:22 AM
Contributors

You REALLY don't know what your missing. My father has 18" RFT and I had 18" RFT. The ride is harsh as hell (Dunlop RFT that come with OEM rims from BMW). My father stayed on the RFT but mine wore out and had to change them. So i went with NON-RFT. What a HUGE DIFFERENCE. you really feel the smoothness of the car. You feel the difference. It is even cheaper once you change all four when you have staggered setup.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

On my 2004 545, I swapped out the factory style 116 wheels and went to the style 135 wheels. They were fitted with Michelin PS2 tires, non-RFT. While most BMW's rims are made to take RFT tires, they are not exclusive and can take non-RFT tires. Most dealers and service departments are misinformed on this (and many other!) issue.

As for the flat tire messages, depends on your car. If it is older and use the FTM system, there will be no impact. Simply reset the system after the new tires are fitted. Newer cars use the TPMS system which comes with sensors inside the rim. If you car uses this system you will have to transfer the sensor to the new wheels or buy new ones. The sensors are not terribly expensive...
Old 10-09-2009, 09:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 (7/04) 545i 6-Spd Manual Metallic Silver Gray with Gray Interior Premium Pkg, Premium Sound, Sport Pkg, Cold Weather, Active Steering, Navigation, Rear Sunshades, Folding Rear Seats, Rear Side Shades, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, Rear Heated Seats, HUD, Rear Side Airbags, PDC, Bluetooth Retrofit Exterior: Venture Clear Bra, Bright Angel Eyes, Euro Reflectors, Blackened Grill, VMR 713 19" Staggered with General UHPs, 13% tint rear windows Engine: K&N Air Filter, Deleted Carbon Filter , RPI Scoop, RPI Exhaust

Originally Posted by bay550i' post='1028432' date='Oct 9 2009, 08:14 AM
I just went from 18in RFTs to 19in non-RFTs and it improved the car in every way. Don't listen to your dealer. Make a change.

That is what I did as well, much better comfort
Old 10-09-2009, 09:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Originally Posted by Jambers' post='1028405' date='Oct 9 2009, 10:34 AM

It never ceases to amaze me how stupid some of the SA's and parts people are at the dealerships. Just swap them....they have no clue!
Old 10-09-2009, 10:11 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530d

swap aint a prob m8 never listen to them . There must be more profit in a RFT lol .
Old 10-09-2009, 10:12 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530d M Sport Automatic, Le Mans Edition.Le Mans Blue Individual Paint Special, Syrah Blue Individual Leather, Piano Black Individual Interior Trim, Front seat heating,M Double Spoke 172 19

Originally Posted by Jambers' post='1028405' date='Oct 9 2009, 10:34 AM

Your dealer did not know that the 172's have non-runflats?Show him the 5 series brochure!Also,remind the dealer that 172's are 19" diameter.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by Jambers' post='1028405' date='Oct 9 2009, 07:34 AM
Pretty much everyone has been successful in doing this.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:21 AM
Members

My Ride: 535i M Sport
Model Year: 2010

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='1028664' date='Oct 9 2009, 02:58 PM
Pretty much everyone has been successful in doing this.
+1

I put all-season non-RFT's on my 535i w/ M Sport two days after taking delivery. No issues at all -- the car still tracks like an arrow and takes corners just fine.