E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RFT & Tyre Pressure Sensors

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2005, 09:16 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for answers to my previous post. Apologies if this one seems obvious.

Am I correct in thinking the tyre pressure sensor system is independent of run-flat-tyres??

What I mean is; if I change rims (w) rft to larger rims with conventional tyres; do I forego the tyre pressure gadgetry??

It would seem conventional tyres offer a more supple ride than rft size for size??

So in essence the natural ride degradation from going up 1 or 2 inches in rim size can be negated (somewhat) by the change to conventional tyres?? How am I doing here??

Is there any other benefit from rft: -

Puncture resistance
Tyre life
Rolling noise etc etc etc

Thanks in advance

Thommo
Old 12-26-2005, 09:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by ozhaggis' post='215849' date='Dec 27 2005, 01:16 AM

Am I correct in thinking the tyre pressure sensor system is independent of run-flat-tyres??

You are correct.

What I mean is; if I change rims (w) rft to larger rims with conventional tyres; do I forego the tyre pressure gadgetry??

Nope

It would seem conventional tyres offer a more supple ride than rft size for size??

Agreed.

So in essence the natural ride degradation from going up 1 or 2 inches in rim size can be negated (somewhat) by the change to conventional tyres?? How am I doing here??

You are doing fine. You would choose tires that have lower profiles than your originals so that the diameter of your tires is unchanged.

Maybe quieter; smoother ride; better performance; lighter (OOPS, backwards answer)

Puncture resistance
Tyre life

Thanks in advance

Thommo
Old 12-26-2005, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by vnod' post='215851

Maybe quieter; smoother ride; better performance; lighter
I think vnod has this is backwards -- those things are not benefits to runflats, they're benefits to conventional tires (although I have no problems with the performance of the runflats so I'm not sure that you'll automatically get better performance from a conventional tire. The main benefits of runflats are the safety and security that they offer, the increased protection they give your rims from road hazards, and, in my opinion, the biggest benefit of the Dunlop runflats are the fact that you keep getting free ones from BMW well before they are worn out!
Old 12-26-2005, 10:46 PM
Members

Originally Posted by vnod' post='215851

[/quote]

Are these benefits to conventional or RFT??

I'm guessing with the stiffer side wall the only benefit to RFT is puncture resistance (a long shot perhaps?) and maybe Rim protection (even longer shot :-( )???

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='215853

You are doing fine. You would choose a tires that have lower profiles than your originals so that the diameter of your tires is unchanged.
I think the question is a different one than the one vnod answered -- although I don't have first-hand experience with this situation, it's logical to assume that you can offset some of the ride degradation of plus-sizing your wheels/tires by moving to a conventional tire. I think there are some others here that can add more detail...
Youre right Rudy but i reckon we're on the same page.

Originally Posted by vnod' post='215851' date='Dec 27 2005, 01:21 AM

.... The main benefits of runflats are the safety and security that they offer, the increased protection they give your rims from road hazards, and, in my opinion, the biggest benefit of the Dunlop runflats are the fact that you keep getting free ones from BMW well before they are worn out!
[/quote]

Huh, wtf?? Free tyres??? Please elaborate.
Old 12-27-2005, 12:23 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ozhaggis' post='215858

Puncture resistance
Tyre life
Well there's not actually a resistance to puncture but if you do get one you carry on driving. (Well 80 miles/50mph limit)

I'm not convinced RFT's improve tyre life. The Dunlops lasted me just 14,000 miles! (I expect my PS2's to last longer!) I think the life is influenced by other factors...

Rolling noise? Hnmmmm, again I don't believe RFT's alone affect this - although my guess is that they would be worse rather than better!

Having myself changed from RFT's (Dunlop to Michelin PS2) I can confirm the ride is definitely improved (for me). The main difference I feel is the drastic reduction in tramlining and the 'skipping' effect over small holes/lumps has gone...
Old 12-27-2005, 04:20 AM
Members

Tire pressure system works with ABS sensors. No problem at all if you use other rims/tires. You've just to reinitiate the system after fitting the new rims/tires.

I'm not a fan of the RFT. So I advise you to go for traditional tires : cheaper (-20%), more confortable, less tramlining. But then you need to buy a spare wheel.

Wider tires are better for the look. But there are also disadventages : less miles, more sensible to aquaplaning, tramlining, ...

I think that 245/40R18Y is a very good compromise. And for the look, you might use 10 or 15mm spacers on each wheel.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='215853

You are doing fine. You would choose tires that have lower profiles than your originals so that the diameter of your tires is unchanged.
I think the question is a different one than the one vnod answered -- although I don't have first-hand experience with this situation, it's logical to assume that you can offset some of the ride degradation of plus-sizing your wheels/tires by moving to a conventional tire. I think there are some others here that can add more detail...

Originally Posted by vnod' post='215851' date='Dec 27 2005, 01:21 AM

I think vnod has this is backwards -- those things are not benefits to runflats, they're benefits to conventional tires (although I have no problems with the performance of the runflats so I'm not sure that you'll automatically get better performance from a conventional tire. The main benefits of runflats are the safety and security that they offer, the increased protection they give your rims from road hazards, and, in my opinion, the biggest benefit of the Dunlop runflats are the fact that you keep getting free ones from BMW well before they are worn out!
[/quote]Hi Rudy: You definitely are right on the second count. I think I interpreted his first question right though--just wanted him to know that the switch to conventionals usually entails lower profile tires. I was replying last night needing some rest after our trip. Brain was not engaged.