E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

RFT question

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 05:17 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 523i M Sport Package white 2002 996 C2 silver 1997 993 C2s red
Hello

I have been seeing negative comments on the RFT's....since my 523i M sportpackage will arrive soon and the RFT come as standard, can people tell me what is so bad about these tires?

Appreciate your help
Old 08-22-2006, 05:41 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Many people find the ride on the runflats a bit harsh because of the stiffer sidewall of the tire.

Keep in mind that even though there are negative comments posted, there are many who are satisfied with the runflats.

As with just about everything, there are tradeoffs you have to weigh before deciding what's right for you. In the case of the runflat tires, I'm willing to trade a bit of ride smoothness for the additional safety and security that the runflats provide.

(Getting free replacements is also an unexpected side benefit! )
Old 08-22-2006, 05:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

I debated with myself over changing from RFT but just could not give up that safety net of knowing no blowout at 80 mph around a curve or 140 on a straight away. I expected a "stiff" ride in the sporty 6er and accept it with all it's so called faults. First set lasted 29,000 miles.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:36 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Collected Sept 2009 - BMW E90 M3, Silverstone II, Novillo Black leather, 19" M Double-Spoke alloys, High Beam Assist, Electronic Damper Control, Voice Control, PDC, USB, DAB, High Gloss Shadowline, Sliding armrest, Trim Finishing in aluminium grey.

I think you have to try one against the other to feel and experience the difference.

I had my first E60 for 11 months with run flats and they really started to get annoying towards the end.
And that was only after 5000 miles or so. When I changed to my second E60 the decision to go with real tyres was automatic. Well no decision really - I just got the tyres.

I had the second car (523i SE) for a few days on bridgestone run-flats before they were swapped and it was like chalk and cheese. No contest. The best decision I reckon I made. Other people with E60's drove mine and could notice a difference as soon as they pulled away.

Re safety, I don't do a whole lot of motorway driving and I'm still dubious as to the effects of a blowout at motorway speeds (according to BMW). I think BMW have done a fine job of convincing (brainwashing) people in to thinking that that they will loose control of their car without run-flat tyres. So before the E60 came along, were the standard tryes on BMW's less safe? Why does the standard E60 come with non-run flats? And the M5?

I previously had a rear tyre blowout at 80mph on an Irish B-road (non BMW but rwd) and no drama. The car stayed straight until I slowly reduced the speed to 30-35mph and then the effects of the flat caused the car to sway a little and some correction of the steering was needed to keep on the road. It's at this point that the benefits of run-flats come in to play. Not necessary to change there and then. Thats the only advantage as far as I can see.

If I was getting punctures every other week then maybe. I don't so I'll gladly sacrafice the 20 minutes required to change tyres after getting a flat against the thousands of minutes of serene quietness and infinitely improved ride quality during the rest of the driving between changes. I think it's about 3 years since i got a puncture!

Mine was an SE. On a sport suspended car, the tyres and the suspension are conspiring together to probably give the worst ride of all.

I think you get the idea that I am NOT a fan of run-flats. When I drove my first E60 I accepted the run-flats and initially thought they were OK. On my second car I can feel and hear the difference. Lots of members will say that run-flats are OK but unless they have tested and driven RF's and non-Rf's back to back then they can't really comment on the differencees.

My $0.02 for what it's worth.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:40 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 523i silver, black leather , sunroof , bluetooth , pdc , M sports kit , Steptronic gear box , active stearing , active cruise control

I think RFT is the best option to stick with and the ride is not all that bad in my opion
Old 08-22-2006, 11:09 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Collected Sept 2009 - BMW E90 M3, Silverstone II, Novillo Black leather, 19" M Double-Spoke alloys, High Beam Assist, Electronic Damper Control, Voice Control, PDC, USB, DAB, High Gloss Shadowline, Sliding armrest, Trim Finishing in aluminium grey.

Originally Posted by cliffysa' post='325408' date='Aug 22 2006, 07:40 PM
I think RFT is the best option to stick with and the ride is not all that bad in my opion
Hi cliffysa,

Have you tried one car with RF and another with non-RF back to back? I have and RF's ruin the car. Really.

I've also had an occasion recently to drive a 523i m-sport and although it was just about Ok as a driver, when I tried it as a passanger I just couldn't believe how bad it was. Really dreadful. Picking up every road scar and pebble and the ride was attrocious. Just very short sharp movements. Not bouncing as such but probably the whole car moving as one because of the stiff suspension. I'll be the first to admit that Irish roads are not known for their smoothness but I think the m-sport was un-acceptable. Over here anyway.

As a driver I was probably concentrating and trying to pick up messages about the handling, steering etc. However, as a passanger I was only concerned with ride quality.

My first thought was how bad it must be for passangers. I previously had an e46 m-sport and even I thought it was hard. As a driver. I now belatedly pity the poor sods who had to travel with me in that. I really loved it at the time but again, enough is enough. As with the run flats.

Maybe roads in SA as as smooth as the proverbial. If thats the case great. I'm emmigrating and buying an M-Sport E60.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:14 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 523i silver, black leather , sunroof , bluetooth , pdc , M sports kit , Steptronic gear box , active stearing , active cruise control

hi Irish eyes

The ride on my E36 M3 without run flats is even worse than my 5 im not saying that RFTS are the best im just saying that I will keep them none the less only for peace of mind

The roads here are very good so there is not that many bumps and pot holes

P.S hahahah keep up your jokes
Old 08-22-2006, 11:23 AM
Members

My Ride: 06 530Xi w/ M-Sport Package 07 335i Cabriolet w/ M-Sport body kit

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='325276' date='Aug 22 2006, 09:41 AM
(Getting free replacements is also an unexpected side benefit! )
?? Free replacement ??
Old 08-22-2006, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Blah' post='325431' date='Aug 22 2006, 09:23 PM
?? Free replacement ??

If you complain after about 15K-20K that they are getting loud, the'll replace them...

But this only works for Dunlop RFT's.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:30 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='325435' date='Aug 22 2006, 02:29 PM

If you complain after about 15K-20K that they are getting loud, the'll replace them...

Is this just in Germany or all over the world

Quick Reply: RFT question