E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Revisiting the charcoal filter

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 12:27 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

iv been thinking about removing my charcoal filter from the time the mod was posted .. but was never too sure if it would have any adverse effects in the long run .. so ... for all the people who did remove the filter

1. how long has it been since you did remove it,

2. have you had any sort of problems ?

3. And during a servies when the air filter had to be changed was the missing charcoal filter remarked on ?

Old 06-29-2006, 02:07 AM
Members

anyone ???
Old 06-29-2006, 05:31 AM
Members

Originally Posted by P.S.B' post='304984' date='Jun 29 2006, 04:27 AM
iv been thinking about removing my charcoal filter from the time the mod was posted .. but was never too sure if it would have any adverse effects in the long run .. so ... for all the people who did remove the filter

3. And during a servies when the air filter had to be changed was the missing charcoal filter remarked on ?

1) Was out on day one, about 3 wks ago.

2) No problems, it is simply a filter to help keep the gasoline fumes from leaking out into the air after you turn the car off. So having just the one regular air filter in place is adequate filtering. The easier the air can get in, the easier your motor can churn those ponies out.

3) Too soon for me. But I doubt that any dealer is going to worry about it not being in place. But def don't ask them or tell them, then they'll say no for sure. It's always easier to ask for forgiveness than permission..
Old 06-29-2006, 05:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

Originally Posted by P.S.B' post='304984' date='Jun 29 2006, 01:27 AM

3 months, I think.

No. I don't see why I would since the rest of e60s delivered to other parts of the world does not have this charcoal filter.

I doubt the dealer will even know about the charcoal filter.

Have you checked that you have the charcoal filter? I thought it was only a US requirement.
Old 06-29-2006, 11:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by P.S.B' post='304984' date='Jun 29 2006, 04:27 AM

Are you talking about the canister or the cabin filter (charcoal filter element) ?
Old 06-29-2006, 11:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by lcc014' post='305177' date='Jun 29 2006, 12:47 PM
Are you talking about the canister or the cabin filter (charcoal filter element) ?
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=21796
Old 06-29-2006, 12:25 PM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by P.S.B' post='304984' date='Jun 29 2006, 03:27 AM

I removed it on day one of Lomag's post.

Absolutely not.

Have not had it serviced since, but would be very surprised if anyone noticed. Incidentally, I have since replaced my air box so it is no longer a factor.

Old 06-29-2006, 12:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Thanks P.S.B for having your whereabouts listed.

Do not remove it, buy new ones.

Since you are from Dubai, I suppose you have a great deal of sanddust flying around.

You should not only change the airfilters but also the engine intake filter at least twice
a year!
Old 06-29-2006, 01:07 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='305189' date='Jun 30 2006, 01:36 AM
Thanks P.S.B for having your whereabouts listed.

Do not remove it, buy new ones.

Since you are from Dubai, I suppose you have a great deal of sanddust flying around.

You should not only change the airfilters but also the engine intake filter at least twice
a year!

dust is not really a problem here .. its humid most of the year .. im not sure if i should take it out since my dealer goes by the book for evey tiny thing .. for instance i asked if i change my rims they said you can only get BMW approved rims unless i want to loose my warrenty ... and he is now contacting bmw germany to find out if the style 167 ( M6 rims ) are ok for my car .. so im not to sure if i should do it
Old 06-29-2006, 01:12 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by P.S.B' post='304984' date='Jun 29 2006, 01:27 AM

I removed mine about 3 weeks ago and have not noticed any adverse affects. I thought only US cars have the filter Have you actually opened up the air box and seen the extra filter?

Quick Reply: Revisiting the charcoal filter