E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Reversing Camera

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 03:59 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there, great forum.

We have a Nov 2006 E60 (535d) with TV-Nav and an OEM reversing (backup) camera installed by the dealer at delivery (not factory fitted).

The camera operates fine, except that as soon as the car starts moving the camera image switches off.
This happens (confirmed by the dealer) at 3km/h, rendering the camera totally useless!
We have cats that like to walk behind the car when I back it out, so we would like to have the camera operate when the car is actually moving in reverse!

Obviously it is responding in the same way the car's TV function blanks out when the car is moving.
The dealer believes it is not supposed to switch off until moving at 10km/h but can get no useful respones out of BMW Germany to fix the problem. They are ready to give up and refund the money we paid for the camera.

Does anyone else have this problem with the official BMW reversing camera??
Old 05-25-2007, 06:29 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 525i, Premium,Cold,Xenon Packages

Originally Posted by Itsmywifescar' post='428191' date='May 25 2007, 06:59 AM
Hi there, great forum.

We have a Nov 2006 E60 (535d) with TV-Nav and an OEM reversing (backup) camera installed by the dealer at delivery (not factory fitted).

The camera operates fine, except that as soon as the car starts moving the camera image switches off.
This happens (confirmed by the dealer) at 3km/h, rendering the camera totally useless!
We have cats that like to walk behind the car when I back it out, so we would like to have the camera operate when the car is actually moving in reverse!

Obviously it is responding in the same way the car's TV function blanks out when the car is moving.
The dealer believes it is not supposed to switch off until moving at 10km/h but can get no useful respones out of BMW Germany to fix the problem. They are ready to give up and refund the money we paid for the camera.

Does anyone else have this problem with the official BMW reversing camera??
that sucks... I was thinking of getting rear camera too.
Old 05-25-2007, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by coolguy' post='428215' date='May 25 2007, 10:29 AM
that sucks... I was thinking of getting rear camera too.
Can we order the reversing camera in the US?
Old 05-26-2007, 07:05 AM
Members

My Ride: 2011 BMW 328xi Sports Wagon w/ premium, sound, nav, ipod, manual trans

There is an article in this month's Roundel, the magazine of the BMW Car Club of America, about installing a reversing camera. It's a do-it-yourself install, but you might be able to get some tips on configuration from it.

If it's BMW installed, though, it might be something that can be configured on the computer at the dealership, no?

Let us know how you solve it!
Old 05-26-2007, 07:13 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Yeah, it might be a dealer-installed accessory but at this point, I'm wondering if it's an option that can be ordered from the factory even though it doesn't show up as an available option...
Old 05-26-2007, 09:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

I've seen some post about how to get the TV to operate while the car is moving, it is not done by BMW dealers though as it is illegal for them to do so. Maybe if you go to some other shops and try, they might be able to figure it out.

But the camera still turn off while in reverse if you reached a certain speed? That definitely sucks.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

3 Km/h is right, that's the speed when the picture is supposed to be switched off.

A TV free module blocks the tach signal and the pic is allways available.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Rear view camera, part nr 66 21 0 412 010 for cars with Control Display.

Whithout Side View also needed, part nr 66 21 0 406 999.

I would recommend contacting the dealer.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:02 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='429473' date='May 30 2007, 07:00 AM
3 Km/h is right, that's the speed when the picture is supposed to be switched off.

A TV free module blocks the tach signal and the pic is allways available.
I am perfectly happy to have the TV picture switch off at 3km/h whilst moving forward, but when backing up it destroys the whole purpose of having the camera.
3 km/h is extraordinarily slow, 0.8m/s which is equivalent to one wheel rotation every 2.5 seconds! Less than a crawl.

All the information needed is available on the data bus, it knows it is in reverse and it knows the speed, how difficult can it be to tell the TV picture to switch off at 3 km/h when moving forward and 10 km/h when moving backwards?

So, is this just an example of BMW having a good idea but really bad implementation, or is there a genuine fault with my system?

Nobody seems to know!!
Old 05-30-2007, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Nope.
Your system works as they want it to.