E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Retrofit Steptronic - ludicrous suggestion?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 12:07 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 525d Sport Touring, Carbon Black, Dakota Black Leather, Maple Wood interior trim "How much more black could this be? And the answer is ‘None. None...more black’ " - David St Hubbins, Spinal Tap

Heh, pretty much can guess the answer to this, but here goes.... Is it possible to retrofit a Steptronic gearbox to a manual E60/E61? Have sh*gged up my left knee, long term prognosis not great, and using a clutch is now causing no little discomfort. I'd take such a financial hit selling my 14-month old Touring that the no-doubt eye-watering costs (3K?) involved in retrofitting an autobox (assuming it is possible) would probably pay off in the end.

Hell, I'd drive it back to the factory in Germany if necessary

Happy holidays to one and all!
Old 12-21-2005, 12:45 PM
Members

My Ride: 535 D - to be delivered end Feb 2005 - color E08 - comfort seats - executive leather balck - 122 wheels - dynamic drive - active steering - pack luxe - tecnology pack - moon roof - 6CD player - hifi system - spare wheel - BT phone

Don't think even about that. The cost would be so high so it would compensate the loos you will make by saling your car and buying a new one.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:53 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

Originally Posted by idoru' post='214117' date='Dec 21 2005, 04:07 PM
Heh, pretty much can guess the answer to this, but here goes.... Is it possible to retrofit a Steptronic gearbox to a manual E60/E61? Have sh*gged up my left knee, long term prognosis not great, and using a clutch is now causing no little discomfort. I'd take such a financial hit selling my 14-month old Touring that the no-doubt eye-watering costs (3K?) involved in retrofitting an autobox (assuming it is possible) would probably pay off in the end.

I had my left knee completely replaced 18 mos ago, and the surgeon told me no driving for 6 wks. I laughed and told him I had a 6 spd, and he countered: 8 weeks.

3 weeks later I was driving fine; the issue was being unable to elevate it to help control swelling, so it was only necessary short trips to therapy etc. Get some good drugs and push that seat back far enough , so that you are pivoting on your heel more than lifting your leg.

Good luck, and I'm worried about the right one now...

Ray Hull
Old 12-21-2005, 01:23 PM
Members

My Ride: 525d Sport Touring, Carbon Black, Dakota Black Leather, Maple Wood interior trim "How much more black could this be? And the answer is ‘None. None...more black’ " - David St Hubbins, Spinal Tap

Originally Posted by FJPM' post='214126' date='Dec 21 2005, 09:45 PM
Don't think even about that. The cost would be so high so it would compensate the loos you will make by saling your car and buying a new one.
How much do you reckon? Out of interest...
Old 12-21-2005, 01:34 PM
Senior Members

Cheaper just to take the financial hit with trading in your car for a new one with steptronic.

Sorry to hear about the knee ...
Old 12-21-2005, 02:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by idoru' post='214117' date='Dec 21 2005, 04:07 PM

I am very sorry about your knee. As others have indicated, I think you would likely be better off to trade the car. But, why not call BMW in Germany, tell them your story, and see if there is anyway they can/will help you out. At least see what they suggest is your best option. I say, if you don't provide the opportunity, then unlikely, but good, things are much less likely to occur.
Old 12-21-2005, 03:51 PM
Members

Thanks everyone for the input an good wishes - sounds like the money will be better spent on a good physio
Old 12-22-2005, 09:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 Titanium-Grey, Leather Dakota Black, 525d, Steptronic, Navi Prof & TV, Voice Input, Panorama ceiling, Xenon with dir, etc

Originally Posted by idoru' post='214195' date='Dec 22 2005, 12:51 AM
Thanks everyone for the input an good wishes - sounds like the money will be better spent on a good physio
Hum... how about changing cars
Old 12-22-2005, 10:28 AM
Members

Originally Posted by BigGrey' post='214494
Hum... how about changing cars
[/quote]

I did a preliminary sounding out (at various $tealers admittedly) a few weeks back - I struggled to get offers of above ?23K - car cost me ?33.5K 14 months ago, with a 3K discount. Admittedly, it is not heavily specced (no sat nav for instance), but it is nonetheless a Sport model, has leather, is carbon black and has just 6K on the clock. "It's a manual, no one wants a manual" was the universal response. And that was with me sniffing around low-mileage petrol X5s they can't shift off the lot. With two small kids etc, I simply can't countenance that sort of depreciation.

Where's that lottery ticket....?
Old 12-22-2005, 10:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

[/quote]
But, why not call BMW in Germany, tell them your story, and see if there is anyway they can/will help you out. At least see what they suggest is your best option. I say, if you don't provide the opportunity, then unlikely, but good, things are much less likely to occur.
[/quote]

Sorry vnod.

Your heart is where it should be, but did you forget about real life