E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

retrofit sport package suspension

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 07:51 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know what the sport package for the 530i includes in terms of suspension? I assume the springs on the sport package are lower and stiffer. Maybe also a thicker anti-roll bar? Is is possible to retrofix this stuff on a 530i non-sport?

thanks
Old 05-04-2005, 08:45 PM
Contributors

The ACTIVE STABILIZER BAR is the item I would most like to retrofit. I will never do it but I was poking around the parts catalog and found this stuff.....

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mo...172&hg=33&fg=45

and this too....

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mo...187&hg=33&fg=45
Old 05-04-2005, 09:37 PM
Members

I asked my SA about retrofiting a non-sport with the sport package, which only include the shorter springs and matching dampers (did not write down the part numbers). It will cost about $1,700, about the same as getting a coilover kit from Bilstein (when it becomes available). This price exclude the sway bars.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:10 AM
zag
Contributors

My Ride: e60 530i - SOLD!

Also anybody have any idea if BMW will be releasing upgrade kit for the sport suspension upgrade soon?

I have the same problem, wanting to upgrade to sport suspension however without the kit call out in the part database, my local BMW dealer has to pull parts out one by one from database. This is risky as he might miss some parts out.
Old 05-05-2005, 07:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

I would expect it would be nigh impossible to retrofit the sport suspension in its entirety. We're talking about active stabilizer bars (dynamic drive) in addition to the springs, etc...

This is a rundown on the components, quoted from the August 2004 issue of "IEEE Control Systems Magazine"

"The Dynamic Drive system consists of a hydraulic valve block with integrated sensors, a hydralic pump coupled to the power steering pump, a lateral acceleration sensor, a control unit, several hydraulic lines, and two active stabilizer bars with rotating hydraulic actuators."

"These active stabilizers apply the hydraulic pressure to the stabilizer bar to obtain a stabilizing torque, which conteracts the roll motion of the vehicle. The hydraulic valve block consists of two pressure control valves and a directional valve for left or right cornering."
Old 05-05-2005, 08:07 AM
Members

Originally Posted by UUronL' date='May 5 2005, 07:12 AM
I would expect it would be nigh impossible to retrofit the sport suspension in its entirety.? We're talking about active stabilizer bars (dynamic drive) in addition to the springs, etc...

This is a rundown on the components, quoted from the August 2004 issue of "IEEE Control Systems Magazine"

"The Dynamic Drive system consists of a hydraulic valve block with integrated sensors, a hydralic pump coupled to the power steering pump, a lateral acceleration sensor, a control unit, several hydraulic lines, and two active stabilizer bars with rotating hydraulic actuators."

"These active stabilizers apply the hydraulic pressure to the stabilizer bar to obtain a stabilizing torque, which conteracts the roll motion of the vehicle.? The hydraulic valve block consists of two pressure control valves and a directional valve for left or right cornering."
[snapback]124409[/snapback]
I did not realize Dynamic drive is complex. So much so, that it may be prone to malfunction as the car ages? Maybe getting the sport package is not such a good idea after all, if reliability is a concern?
Old 05-05-2005, 09:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by KickinA' date='May 5 2005, 11:07 AM
[quote name='UUronL' date='May 5 2005, 07:12 AM']I would expect it would be nigh impossible to retrofit the sport suspension in its entirety.? We're talking about active stabilizer bars (dynamic drive) in addition to the springs, etc...

"These active stabilizers apply the hydraulic pressure to the stabilizer bar to obtain a stabilizing torque, which conteracts the roll motion of the vehicle.? The hydraulic valve block consists of two pressure control valves and a directional valve for left or right cornering."
I did not realize Dynamic drive is complex. So much so, that it may be prone to malfunction as the car ages? Maybe getting the sport package is not such a good idea after all, if reliability is a concern?
[snapback]124446[/snapback]
[/quote]

I don't know, it has several reduntant layers of sensors and logic so it won't likely pose a threat in the event of failure. It first appeared in the 7 series so it's far from new - I've not heard of many issues with it.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:03 AM
zag
Contributors

My Ride: e60 530i - SOLD!

Originally Posted by UUronL' date='May 5 2005, 11:12 PM
I would expect it would be nigh impossible to retrofit the sport suspension in its entirety.? We're talking about active stabilizer bars (dynamic drive) in addition to the springs, etc...

Actually if my ride is already equipped with Dynamic Drive but on standard suspension, i could still retrofit the sport suspension, right?
in the neck of my wood the specs are different i guess. we don't have "sport package" per se where DD and sport suspension come in duo.
Old 05-05-2005, 01:40 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by zag' date='May 5 2005, 02:03 PM
[quote name='UUronL' date='May 5 2005, 11:12 PM']I would expect it would be nigh impossible to retrofit the sport suspension in its entirety.? We're talking about active stabilizer bars (dynamic drive) in addition to the springs, etc...

Actually if my ride is already equipped with Dynamic Drive but on standard suspension, i could still retrofit the sport suspension, right?
in the neck of my wood the specs are different i guess. we don't have "sport package" per se where DD and sport suspension come in duo.
[snapback]124531[/snapback]
[/quote]

Interesting... I have no clue. In the US, the only way to get Dynamic Drive is to get the sport package.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:40 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

I would not attempt to upgrade to the sport suspension as it appears to be much to complex and integrated to go through the work. You would be much better off upgrading the car or upgrading to a coil over suspension as suggested.

I believe Hamann has a coil-over suspension upgrade (check out the posts from the Santa Barbara Bimmerfest).

Quick Reply: retrofit sport package suspension