E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Retrofit Sport to Comfort Seats?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 04:30 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all,

I was sitting one day and said "boy I wish these were comfort seats" then it hit me. Maybe I can do a replacement retrofit deal. I of course am no mechanical genius. I don't figure the difficulty level could be too high though. I am curious if anyone has heard of this happening. Is this only an option you can get from the factory? Like every internet enabled body, I went to google. I couldn't find squat there. Does anyone have any ideas: possibilities, feasibility or cost? Well, possibly a silly question, but it gnaws at you.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:42 PM
Contributors

which seats do you have now? the standard or the sport seats?

Thanks!
Old 09-19-2005, 04:42 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by amigo525' date='Sep 19 2005, 06:42 PM
which seats do you have now? the standard or the sport seats?

Thanks!
[snapback]172502[/snapback]

Sorry...read it to fast..you have the sport

Old 09-19-2005, 04:46 PM
Senior Members

Yep, the sport seats. I am not saying they are uncomfortable at all. Just thought if the conversion was possible and feasible I wouldn't mind doing it.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:36 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Chorethorious' date='Sep 19 2005, 06:46 PM
Yep, the sport seats.? I am not saying they are uncomfortable at all.? Just thought if the conversion was possible and feasible I wouldn't mind doing it.
[snapback]172507[/snapback]
I think it would be possible and feasible.... but the seats would probably cost about $7000 for the pair (someone listed it here once - try a search - it might have been $10k). You could probably sell the sports for $3000 but it still is some change....While the sport seats are probably worth that, you might be waiting years for a buyer.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:26 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 300TTto545' date='Sep 20 2005, 03:36 AM
[quote name='Chorethorious' date='Sep 19 2005, 06:46 PM']Yep, the sport seats.? I am not saying they are uncomfortable at all.? Just thought if the conversion was possible and feasible I wouldn't mind doing it.
[snapback]172507[/snapback]
I think it would be possible and feasible.... but the seats would probably cost about $7000 for the pair (someone listed it here once - try a search - it might have been $10k). You could probably sell the sports for $3000 but it still is some change....While the sport seats are probably worth that, you might be waiting years for a buyer.
[snapback]172619[/snapback]
[/quote]

10K That's nothing! haha Well I really wouldn't consider that to be too feasible for me. I assumed the price of the seats could possibly be something you just wouldn't want to pay. Maybe instead of stealing rims.... I could steal seats... Anyone know the fastest time to dismantle two comfort seats? Thanks for the input 300TTto545
Old 09-20-2005, 06:03 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Here are a couple threads where this was discussed before:

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=8968

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=1354

I think the bottom line is that it can be done but it's plenty expensive to do...
Old 09-20-2005, 07:45 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Black 520i, Black leather interior, Active Steering, DSC, PDC, Ornamental grille, Audio Aux Input

have a look atbmw parts
Old 09-30-2005, 06:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: On order: 2007 550i, silver gray, black leather, anth. maple trim, active cruise, heated steering wheel, sport, night vision, vent seats, heat rears, active steering, rear air bags, folding seats, comfort access, navigation , HUD, black head liner, steptronic, premium sound, sirius and HD radio.

I have done extensive research on this and it is not only about 8900.00 for the comfort seats but the wiring leads are not the same. You would be looking at a harness replacement as well. To complicate matters...your seats are on your factory build sheet. If you replace them with a different seat style, which no dealer will do, you will VOID your warranty and if in an accident you stand a chance that the belt pretensor will not work.

I had a collision center that I work with contact a local dealer who opened a case with the parts group. The parts group said that if BMW becomes aware that the seats in the car are different than the build sheet and you replaced them it WILL void your warranty. When my dealer requested information about replacement instructions they were told under no circumstances are they permitted to replace them. The only replacement that can be done must be the same type of seat that came from the factory during the initial build. I think they are very worried about liability.
Old 09-30-2005, 08:06 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ledbettm' date='Sep 30 2005, 07:43 AM
I have done extensive research on this and it is not only about 8900.00 for the comfort seats but the wiring leads are not the same. You would be looking at a harness replacement as well. To complicate matters...your seats are on your factory build sheet. If you replace them with a different seat style, which no dealer will do, you will VOID your warranty and if in an accident you stand a chance that the belt pretensor will not work.

I had a collision center that I work with contact a local dealer who opened a case with the parts group. The parts group said that if BMW becomes aware that the seats in the car are different than the build sheet and you replaced them it WILL void your warranty. When my dealer requested information about replacement instructions they were told under no circumstances are they permitted to replace them. The only replacement that can be done must be the same type of seat that came from the factory during the initial build. I think they are very worried about liability.
[snapback]177376[/snapback]
Wow, thank you so much for the information. I had no idea that it could void the warranty. No comfort seats for me I guess. The issues related to changing them out seems to be to great. Not to mention the price is up there. I could slap that down on an 07 550 when the time comes. Picking up the comfort seats at that time sounds better in the long run.

Quick Reply: Retrofit Sport to Comfort Seats?!