E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Resurface flywheel?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 06:59 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i/6

Can my flywheel be resurfaced? I need a clutch job soon and the flywheel is very expensive if it needs to be replaced. Anyone done it, or just used the old flywheel when doing a clutch job? Any regrets?

Car: 04 545i 6 speed manual

Any input appreciated!
Old 12-01-2010, 07:16 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 550i '84 Nissan S12 Turbo

I don't see why it would be different that any other car. As long it is within spec, it can be resurfaced. If it were me and since the flywheel will be off anyway, I would take the flywheel to a machine shop and have them "lighten" it which frees up noticeable horse power
Old 12-01-2010, 07:17 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Every time I ask the question of a technician, I usually get the answer that only very rarely do they have to replace a BMW flywheel. Given the labor involved in a clutch job if it is at all in question after looking at it I'd probably get it done if you were to keep the car, but I've almost never had someone tell me that on the first clutch job a BMW flywheel was toast. The reality is though that you won't know until the car is apart.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:46 AM
Members

Originally Posted by ktlocklear
I don't see why it would be different that any other car. As long it is within spec, it can be resurfaced. If it were me and since the flywheel will be off anyway, I would take the flywheel to a machine shop and have them "lighten" it which frees up noticeable horse power
True, I didnt think of that. Normally I just think of having a flywheel resurfaced at a machine shop, not lightened. Good idea.

Originally Posted by jm545i
Every time I ask the question of a technician, I usually get the answer that only very rarely do they have to replace a BMW flywheel. Given the labor involved in a clutch job if it is at all in question after looking at it I'd probably get it done if you were to keep the car, but I've almost never had someone tell me that on the first clutch job a BMW flywheel was toast. The reality is though that you won't know until the car is apart.
Thanks. This is good to know. I do have a 100k though on the OEM set-up.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:54 AM
Senior Members

IF you do end up needing a new one...price isn't horrible.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-5...Q5fAccessories
Old 12-01-2010, 08:20 AM
Members

IF you do end up needing a new one...price isn't horrible.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-5...Q5fAccessories
Wow, thanks. That is much cheaper than Im being quoted! $1800 from dealer, and $1200 from indy shop for the flywheel. OEM peices Im sure, but still pricey just for a flywheel.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:41 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by cmoore_
Wow, thanks. That is much cheaper than Im being quoted! $1800 from dealer, and $1200 from indy shop for the flywheel. OEM peices Im sure, but still pricey just for a flywheel.
No problem. LuK is a huge flywheel and clutch brand. Wow.....$1800 from the dealer.....holy crap Is that just for the flywheel or labor to install also?
Old 12-01-2010, 11:13 AM
Senior Members

when i changed the clutch in my camaro, i had my flywheel resurfaced. the only problem it caused was a bit of chatter. kind of a funny term, it isn't a noise, but a shake your car gives you when you are releasing the clutch. they say clutch chatter eventually can go away after you break in a new clutch, but it did not with mine. it's very possible as they resurfaced the flywheel they decreased it's thickness and that small amount of space caused the chatter. so, i would only tell you that if you resurface a flywheel, chatter is a possible side effect.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:26 AM
Members

No problem. LuK is a huge flywheel and clutch brand. Wow.....$1800 from the dealer.....holy crap Is that just for the flywheel or labor to install also?
Just the flywheel lol. If I remember right, I was quoted about $1800 for the clutch job w/out, about $3500 with the flywheel at the dealer! Crazy. Im being told by my indy that they can get thy flywheel for me for $1200 which is slighly more than they pay for it.

Originally Posted by tuffluck
when i changed the clutch in my camaro, i had my flywheel resurfaced. the only problem it caused was a bit of chatter. kind of a funny term, it isn't a noise, but a shake your car gives you when you are releasing the clutch. they say clutch chatter eventually can go away after you break in a new clutch, but it did not with mine. it's very possible as they resurfaced the flywheel they decreased it's thickness and that small amount of space caused the chatter. so, i would only tell you that if you resurface a flywheel, chatter is a possible side effect.
Yep, I remember this with a mustang gt I had back in the day. Kinda makes me lean towards a new one no matter what just because of this, even though it doesnt occure with every flywheel.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:41 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by cmoore_
Yep, I remember this with a mustang gt I had back in the day. Kinda makes me lean towards a new one no matter what just because of this, even though it doesnt occure with every flywheel.
i eventually got very good at driving the car without seeing the effects of the chatter, but if other people drove my car it was a disaster. if i did it all over again i would have definitely just bought a new flywheel.

Quick Reply: Resurface flywheel?