E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Restraints System Faulty

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 08:02 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Today I went to my car, started it, and BING!! Restraints System Faulty, Airbags, Seat Bealt Limiters, tensioners, etc. are malfunctioning, blah blah blah. And on my dash, the seat belt sign along with the airbag sign is RED, and stays red for as long as I drive the car, even with my seat belt on. Anyone know what the problem is? Blown fuse or anything I can do to get rid of it? I really hate going to the dealer, it takes them days just to fix anything. Also, is there any potential risk, besides the obvious airbag possible not deploying in an accident, if I continue to drive it for a couple more days then store it for 2 months? Please help me, I'm gonna be sleepless tonight... Thanks a bunch guys...

PS: I thought it was one of those false alarms, so I drove it to a few places, but everytime I restarted the car, the fault message is still there!! HELP!
Old 03-12-2007, 09:35 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dealer is the only place! Sorry
Old 03-12-2007, 05:40 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

get it to the dealer. after the SLO meet a couple months ago, i had this happening to me. i had my gf with me in the car too. the same restraint system and seat belt fastening and what not. same red seat belt and airbag sign. i too kept trying to restart the car at stoplights but it was always there. when i took it to the dealer, it turned out just to be the sensors in the passenger seat. it was done within a day. also, they told me that those sensors are a common problem in the 5 series. since you hate going to your dealer, its the only place to go, as said by fred. good luck man.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:50 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 530i 6-speed Titanium Silver/Black Interior Premium Package Sport Package Aux input 30 GB video iPod Cold Weather Package Xenon Red rear reflectors Tint Clear Bra

I'm afraid you will have to take it to the dealer. My car had this problem a while back.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:11 PM
Members

I just got mine back from the dealer having the same issue taken care of. Mine turned out to be a faulty power supply of some kind to the airbag sensor, they had to order the part and a couple days later all is good.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:38 PM
Contributors

I'm leaving in 2 days for vacation, and I'm not about to leave my car at the dealer for tw months. So is it safe for me to drive it for 2 more days, then store the car, then bring it to the dealer when I get back? Thanks.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:08 AM
Contributors

Well i guess I will bring it to the dealer for them to see if I can store the car in this state first, and wait till I return to bring it to the dealer. Anyways, thanks for all your help guys!! But dealer time is always poo poo time for me...
Old 03-13-2007, 10:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

As Led Zeppelin did sing some time ago:

Communication Brakedown.

You have the BMW Service number in your trunk,
call them and have them bring a loaner car for you.

I would not drive the car a meter with all those lights on!
Old 03-13-2007, 11:59 AM
Members

Originally Posted by 525iSE' post='401808' date='Mar 12 2007, 04:02 PM
Today I went to my car, started it, and BING!! Restraints System Faulty, Airbags, Seat Bealt Limiters, tensioners, etc. are malfunctioning, blah blah blah. And on my dash, the seat belt sign along with the airbag sign is RED, and stays red for as long as I drive the car, even with my seat belt on. Anyone know what the problem is? Blown fuse or anything I can do to get rid of it? I really hate going to the dealer, it takes them days just to fix anything. Also, is there any potential risk, besides the obvious airbag possible not deploying in an accident, if I continue to drive it for a couple more days then store it for 2 months? Please help me, I'm gonna be sleepless tonight... Thanks a bunch guys...

PS: I thought it was one of those false alarms, so I drove it to a few places, but everytime I restarted the car, the fault message is still there!! HELP!

I had the exact same problem. The dealer said the computer was faulty and they replaced the whole computer system under warranty.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:16 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='402314' date='Mar 14 2007, 01:20 AM
As Led Zeppelin did sing some time ago:

Communication Brakedown.
You have the BMW Service number in your trunk,
call them and have them bring a loaner car for you.

I would not drive the car a meter with all those lights on!
I'm getting my car serviced at a different dealer than the one I bought the car from. I dont' believe that they'll agree to a loaner. Anyways, if its some small problem, it'll get sorted out in a day, its just such bad timing, that I'm about to go on vacation, and I'll be sleepless knowing my baby have some stupid error. But yeah, I gotta stop by the school today, driving to the far campus, then coming back to the dealer quickly to see what they can do, if all parts are in and its a minor problem, my friend's connections with the dealers should sort it out for me in half a day, but it all depends on what the real problem is. Thanks again guys for all your help.

Quick Reply: Restraints System Faulty