E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Restraint System Failure (Passenger)

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010 | 06:35 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by dubseller
Dealer just called and said it could be one of two things: a control switch (within the steering column?), $750 + 2 hours labor or an air bag control unit, $1500 + 1.5 hours labor... I said I would get back to them before they did any work... any advice peeps?

it was a sensor in the seat and covered by my CPO warranty for $50
Old 04-26-2010 | 06:39 AM
Contributors

Dealer just called and said it could be one of two things: a control switch (within the steering column?), $750 + 2 hours labor or an air bag control unit, $1500 + 1.5 hours labor... I said I would get back to them before they did any work... any advice peeps?
I had the same 3 problems you had Dubseller. I just unplugged the battery terminal for 5min or you can even do it longer. Once i plugged the battery terminal back in everything worked fine after that. I hope this may help also with your issue. As for the passenger side restraint fault they told me it was the seat module $1200 to replace and i said hell no. I believed they reset my code and it's no longer showing on my gauge cluster or idrive.
Old 04-26-2010 | 06:41 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by PraiseTheLowered
Yah, thats what they keep saying all the time when my passengerside fault came on then when your CPO expires boom! Freaking stealers freaking Santa Rosa BMW dealership :thumbsdown:
Old 04-26-2010 | 09:02 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Cwest
I had the same 3 problems you had Dubseller. I just unplugged the battery terminal for 5min or you can even do it longer. Once i plugged the battery terminal back in everything worked fine after that. I hope this may help also with your issue. As for the passenger side restraint fault they told me it was the seat module $1200 to replace and i said hell no. I believed they reset my code and it's no longer showing on my gauge cluster or idrive.

Hey thanks so much for your reply! It is very interesting that you had the exact same 3 errors! Weird! I am so pissed that I spent 3 hours labor and the dealer couldn't even give me straight answer! They said they charged the battery for 2 hours... I'm assuming they would have unplugged the battery for that period of time, I could be wrong. Well, I'll try unplugging it like you said, maybe even replacing it?

Please let me know if I should try anything else... TRULY APPRECIATE THIS GUYS!
Old 04-26-2010 | 09:04 AM
Members

Hey thanks for your reply, could you possibly list the part that was replaced? I might just get that done and see if it fixes the error...
Old 04-26-2010 | 10:46 AM
Contributors

Hey thanks for your reply, could you possibly list the part that was replaced? I might just get that done and see if it fixes the error...
no idea what the part number was

its was the passenger seat occupancy sensor though
Old 05-01-2010 | 08:23 AM
Members

no idea what the part number was

its was the passenger seat occupancy sensor though
I have a salvage 2005 e60. Does BMW accept a free fix for this problem?
Old 05-02-2010 | 03:10 PM
Members

im not a mechanic or anything but was the install hard? or should i bring it to a mechanic shop to do it?

Originally Posted by 530dE60
Fitted the bypass unit under the passenger seat. Cut the seat mat's blue and white wire just before it disappears into the seat base. Stripped the ends and attached them to the bypass unit.

Before I installed the unit, the restraint system error message had been cleared / reset as I had to get an unrelated error message reset. Had I not installed the bypass unit, the restraint system warning would have reappeared as soon as someone would have sat in the passenger seat. Anyway, normally you'll need a reset AFTER you install the unit. It just happened the other way round for me.

The end result is that there is no longer a Restraint System Failure warning on iDrive. The red airbag and seat belt warning lights have also gone. £20 and problem solved....well pleased that I didn't follow the stealer's recommendation and follow the "normal" way to fix this VERY common problem. Now I can smash as many knees as I like on that passenger seat as I know I don't have to worry about the damn SEAT MAT !
Old 05-03-2010 | 10:53 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 525

BMW had a recall for this a couple of years ago. you shouldnt have to pay anything.
Old 05-03-2010 | 05:33 PM
Members

its vin specified, and somehow my vin is not included even though i have the exact recall problem talked to bmw na and everything, pisses me off actually that they charge me an arm and a leg for everything and when it comes down to something thats their fault they dont do a damn thing about it

Originally Posted by pipper
BMW had a recall for this a couple of years ago. you shouldnt have to pay anything.

Quick Reply: Restraint System Failure (Passenger)