E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

The " REST " button

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by DynaSpy' post='498482' date='Nov 24 2007, 11:55 AM
I've always said they should have a little "space heater" in the car so if it's cold it'll still put out warm air as soon as you turn on the car. Never seen it implemented though
Do a search on the term "Webasto" -- as far as I know, that's pretty much how people accomplish what you're describing...
Old 11-24-2007, 09:53 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 Cadillac XLR // Silver with Black Interior 2002 Lincoln LS // Silver with Grey Interior [En Route] 2008 Black Sapphire Metallic 535xi // Black Nasca Leather // 18" Star Spoke Wheels // Sport, Premium & Cold Pkg // Bamboo Anthracite Trim & Headliner // Comfort Access // Head-up Display // Navigation // Logic 7 // HD Radio // Ipod // Sunshades

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='498493' date='Nov 24 2007, 12:25 PM
Do a search on the term "Webasto" -- as far as I know, that's pretty much how people accomplish what you're describing...
Nice! I've been hoping they would make this a factory option on every car (or at least the cars I'd care to buy ) but it hasn't happened... yet. Though I am having a remote start installed in my 535 when it arrives. I've had it in all my cars so far except the XLR (which I don't drive much in the winter anyway) and I can't live without it.
Old 11-24-2007, 10:04 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

Originally Posted by DynaSpy' post='498519' date='Nov 24 2007, 01:53 PM
Nice! I've been hoping they would make this a factory option on every car (or at least the cars I'd care to buy ) but it hasn't happened... yet. Though I am having a remote start installed in my 535 when it arrives. I've had it in all my cars so far except the XLR (which I don't drive much in the winter anyway) and I can't live without it.
Years ago (in a 540i) I sat in the car in freezing temps for > 30 minutes completely warm with the "rest" function. I think I waited 5 minutes, ran it 10 minutes, waited 10 more and ran it for more. It was a while back so I don't remember the details but was amazed at the feature. I don't think the newer models allow as long for it. My 650i didn't seem to. I've not tried it in the 550i.
Old 11-24-2007, 12:52 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by DynaSpy' post='498519' date='Nov 24 2007, 12:53 PM
Though I am having a remote start installed in my 535 when it arrives. I've had it in all my cars so far except the XLR (which I don't drive much in the winter anyway) and I can't live without it.
Have you spoken to somebody that can fit this? Or has anybody here had this done? I'd be amazed if this could be fitted due to the complexity of the "boot process" in an E60 required to get the engine running.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:46 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 Cadillac XLR // Silver with Black Interior 2002 Lincoln LS // Silver with Grey Interior [En Route] 2008 Black Sapphire Metallic 535xi // Black Nasca Leather // 18" Star Spoke Wheels // Sport, Premium & Cold Pkg // Bamboo Anthracite Trim & Headliner // Comfort Access // Head-up Display // Navigation // Logic 7 // HD Radio // Ipod // Sunshades

Originally Posted by Russ1974' post='498558' date='Nov 24 2007, 04:52 PM
Have you spoken to somebody that can fit this? Or has anybody here had this done? I'd be amazed if this could be fitted due to the complexity of the "boot process" in an E60 required to get the engine running.
A buddy of mine has a car audio shop around the block from my office. He told me they've done a bunch of them already. Basically there is a bypass module that tricks the ignition system into thinking you have the Comfort Access key in the car but it still maintains all the security features such as door locks and alarm. The downside is you have to use their remote, so you can't program the BMW FOB to do it, not yet at least. This isn't a big deal for me, I'm going to have 3 remotes - one in my house, one in my office, and one to leave in the glove for when I go somewhere and plan on staying for a while. The place I'm getting it done is called Street Smarts, located in Bellmore NY.

Incidentally, they also do an awesome job on tints and hardwired radar/laser detectors.
Old 11-24-2007, 02:29 PM
Contributors

Nice! Would love to have that feature added to my E60 and my wife's E70. If anybody knows of anyone that can install this in NW England, I'd be very grateful for the info.
Old 11-24-2007, 03:02 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 525i, Premium,Cold,Xenon Packages

Originally Posted by DynaSpy' post='498574' date='Nov 24 2007, 05:46 PM
A buddy of mine has a car audio shop around the block from my office. He told me they've done a bunch of them already. Basically there is a bypass module that tricks the ignition system into thinking you have the Comfort Access key in the car but it still maintains all the security features such as door locks and alarm. The downside is you have to use their remote, so you can't program the BMW FOB to do it, not yet at least. This isn't a big deal for me, I'm going to have 3 remotes - one in my house, one in my office, and one to leave in the glove for when I go somewhere and plan on staying for a while. The place I'm getting it done is called Street Smarts, located in Bellmore NY.

Incidentally, they also do an awesome job on tints and hardwired radar/laser detectors.
how much did they quote on that remote starter? be careful when taking car in for service, Dealer might invalidate the warranty
Old 11-24-2007, 03:08 PM
Members

Originally Posted by coolguy' post='498606' date='Nov 24 2007, 07:02 PM
how much did they quote on that remote starter? be careful when taking car in for service, Dealer might invalidate the warranty
He's getting me a price on Monday. I went in on Friday to schedule tints/radar detector/remote start but he already closed down his comp and couldn't get me a price. I'll post when I get more info. I'll also get you guys the maker of the bypass module. I did ask him about the warranty because I was concerned with that myself and he told me that they are not allowed to void a warranty due to installing aftermarket electronics. He said if the electronics caused a problem with the car that it would fall under his own liability and he would pay for repairs. I don't know if other installers operate the same way, though he is a buddy of mine so he isn't going to screw me over.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:45 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

Ironic but I just happened to need the "rest" function this evening. I was waiting in the car while my sister ran an errand at her office. I immediately turned it on but decided to wait for the car to cool off in the 37 degree weather and turned it on then (thanks to Rudy's instructions for LCI models). I think it lasted for 10 minutes. About 5 minutes later I tried it again but it didn't come on. My sister then came out. A good 20 minutes in the car and perfectly comfortable.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:15 PM
Members

Why does my loaner 2007 328xi have the Rest feature but my 2008 535xi does not? Are they cheaping us out of the Rest feature?!?!?

Quick Reply: The " REST " button