E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Replacing windshield and bobbles under the sensor part

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 02:02 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in processing to change the front windshield on my car paid by insurance through Safeguard.
I requested all BMW original parts and got approved. Today, when tech came to replace the window I asked to make sure there are no bubbles should left under the sensor part as I heard others complaint about that.
He said once you put the gel under the sensor he does not know how to get rid of the bubbles even though it has been lined up correctly. Even though he said he installed many windshields on the different cars but there is always be a bubble under neat.
After he talked with his boss, they are going to order some type of injector gel kit that will not create bubbles under neat.

Any expert on this area?

When tech removed the sensor and just put the orginal part back in, I now have bubble under neat.(No big deal as I have to replace it anyway) So I was wondering how BMW or their 3rd party installer are lining up this part? Are they using the injector kit?
I saw safegaurd got the original BMW windshield with the BMW logo on it from dealer with all hardware connectors that sensor snap in to it already attached on it?
Also the plastic mold on the top part of windshield was ordered from BMW.
Any other original parts should they use during replacing the windshield?
I am assuming they can use any standard glue to attached the windshield? Am I correct?

Thank you for your help,
Old 07-05-2011, 04:55 PM
Members

I would not worry about it and wait till the job was done. If it has a bubble, it's not done right and should be replaced again.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:17 PM
Super Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 185 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i N52

the better gel will probably do the trick. sounds like they probably knew that already. i bet you dimes to donuts that the non-bubbling gel is more expensive that the bubbling gel.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:19 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545i sport
Model Year: 2004

If the shop has to remove and reinstall teh sensor prism onto the new windshield, then they are NOT using genuine BMW parts. If the windshield is purchased through BMW, it comes with a new prism already affixed to the glass. Aftermarket (or OEM) windshields are available with the prism already affixed to the glass. Insist they use one of the two...
Old 07-06-2011, 08:54 AM
Members

Originally Posted by DavidF
If the shop has to remove and reinstall teh sensor prism onto the new windshield, then they are NOT using genuine BMW parts. If the windshield is purchased through BMW, it comes with a new prism already affixed to the glass. Aftermarket (or OEM) windshields are available with the prism already affixed to the glass. Insist they use one of the two...
Hi DavidF:
I look at the windshield and it was a BMW windshield with all hardware attached and BMW stamp. Except the gel part. Is that what you are referring to sensor prism?
All tech did snap the sensor out from the frame that attached to the windshield.
Is the actual sensor and gel should be already attached to the windshield?

Thanks,